I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-08-03, 14:29

athenian200 wrote:
2022-08-03, 10:01
1.2.x series is just a bugfix release for Windows, and it centers around weird issues with including MSVC's redistributable CRT and a bizarre Windows issue with Lightning that seemed to strike out of nowhere. It doesn't seem to affect Linux, so that's why no new Linux builds have been issued.

It's weird... it seems like I can figure out various libc and linker issues all day, but making sure a build is 100% ready for end users before sending it out is where I stumble.
If I may reiterate what I said previously.... the is beta. Your users know this and realise that breakage or issues will probably arise (at some point). We are on board and ready to help debug. It is impossible for you to test on all systems and variations of OS and software installation before release and that's where us voluntary guinea pigs come in :D
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-03, 15:00

distantpluto wrote:
2022-08-03, 14:29
If I may reiterate what I said previously.... the is beta. Your users know this and realise that breakage or issues will probably arise (at some point). We are on board and ready to help debug. It is impossible for you to test on all systems and variations of OS and software installation before release and that's where us voluntary guinea pigs come in :D
That makes a lot of sense to me. Even if people can't write code themselves, they can still be a pair of eyes. I guess that's the idea with open source. Even if the users are not programmers, they can still tell me when my stuff isn't working and I can probably eventually figure out why.

It's like, yeah, this might not be the most polished software out there... but then again, there's plenty of that. Trying to get everything right and avoiding people seeing bugs generally doesn't work out anyway, and things just seem to get done faster if people are getting the builds as fast as I can produce them and providing feedback. I wouldn't have noticed half of this stuff on my own, but when people do mention it, that allows me to fix it.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-08-03, 15:48

Yeah, so all that's needed is three or four alpha testers <raises hand> and maybe a private forum area just for that topic.

Also I propose a public forum area just for Epyrus, because this thread is nuts-too long.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-08-03, 16:58

Yes, Lightning is back, thank you! I see the only thing that changed was GUID formatting inside the XPI, so my previous guess about the problem was on target.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2022-08-03, 19:25

athenian200 wrote:
2022-07-26, 11:47
Baloo wrote:
2022-07-25, 15:22
How do I obtain the logs?
I asked around, and it turns out that it's not really possible to generate crash logs on Linux. There is a way to do so on Windows, and that is one of the reasons why Windows is preferred for development. The ability to generate crash reports seems to have been removed along with telemetry, because the tooling needed to do that on Linux was dependent on complicated plumbing that slows down the browser significantly.

So, that means you will have to provide me with a stack trace yourself if you want my help, because there is no tool that generates logs automatically upon application crash. But before we dive into the process of opening up Epyrus in GDB and start worrying about breakpoints, tell me if there's a file named "core" in the directory you use for Epyrus? If there is, send that to me because it means we got lucky and the program crashed in such a way as to produce a "naturally generated" stack trace that I can use to solve your problem. Otherwise, this will be a lot harder.

It might also help to set your directory to the Epyrus directory, and start Epyrus directly from a terminal window. Then try and reproduce your crash with Proton Bridge. If it crashes then, the core file should be in the current directory if one gets generated at all. If not, we're more likely to have to mess with GDB and that is not going to be fun.

Thank you to every one still willing to use Epyrus under these conditions. I know I am not providing the best user experience, but the fact of the matter is I'm not as experienced with this as Moonchild or Tobin. They've been doing this 10 years and are experts on release engineering and user support. I'm basically someone who knows how to get something to work on my system, and who isn't accustomed to making something polished that will work on other people's systems. So you'll have to bear with me stumbling around for a while if I am to make this application reliable. Or... use something else, of course. There's always webmail and Thunderbird.
No worries my friend, I'll give this a try. I've been very busy last three weeks so haven't had a chance to actually use this. Now I've got time on my hands so I'll see what happens next time I fire it up.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-04, 01:13

Baloo wrote:
2022-08-03, 19:25
No worries my friend, I'll give this a try. I've been very busy last three weeks so haven't had a chance to actually use this. Now I've got time on my hands so I'll see what happens next time I fire it up.
Also, I would like to add that if you've been running Epyrus from an icon in your Window Manager, it would be better to try running it from a terminal/console in case it generates messages. There are messages you can see sometimes if you're running an application in a terminal that you wouldn't see otherwise, because they are not sent to a log file at all AFAIK. It also makes it more likely that the core file will be generated somewhere you can find it.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-04, 07:39

To make things easier to handle I've created a new board here for Epyrus (and moved this mega-thread to it) as discussed with Athenian200. So, feel free to split out various things discussed here into their own topics ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-08-04, 19:26

Terrific, this dedicated forum-area will help! Could we possibly close this topic-thread to new replies?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-04, 22:14

Yeah, I can close this thread now. I can replace most of its functions with release announcement threads, and anyone who has a question can create a new thread in this subforum.

Honestly, I think I meant to make arrangements along these lines shortly after the first release, but it slipped my mind.