I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-17, 16:55

I think I might have enough there to be able to figure out how to enable some kind of dark theme. :) I appreciate the info.

Anyway, I do have something to report regarding langpacks. I figured out how to make one finally. It involves using --enable-ui-locale and setting up an i10n directory, but does require some stuff from the corresponding Pale Moon langpacks from each language to work due to toolkit/platform string changes on our side. Using this, I was finally able to generate an Italian langpack.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsscXELhr-eyh70w9io ... A?e=kOoKrY

I'm not sure if it's perfect, but it seems to work on the surface anyway. I still need to streamline the process so that I can create multiple langpacks at once, but I do have it working regardless. There is a good chance that the first languages I attempt to add langpacks for will be the Romance languages... that is, Spanish, French, Italian, etc. The reason is because I've already studied Latin and I'm finding that I have at least a vague idea of what is going on with all those languages, which means I'm not relying quite as blindly on a machine translation to see if the phrase makes any sense in context, despite not actually knowing those languages.

It was interesting looking through the interface in Italian. I've never actually studied it at all, but I felt like I understood quite a bit of what I was looking at. It seemed like compared with Spanish, I saw a few more words I recognized from Latin class, plus more liberal use of English loanwords related to computers. It's weird to think a language I've never opened a single textbook to learn about is already kind of understandable. Somehow between my high school Latin classes, bits and pieces of Spanish I've picked up over the years, and the pieces of French that are scattered throughout English as stock phrases, I can already guess what some Italian phrases mean without having actually studied it. Which is a really weird experience, usually learning languages takes a lot of time and is really difficult.
"There are two sentences inscribed upon the Ancient oracle... 'Know thyself' and 'Nothing too much'; and upon these all other precepts depend." -- Plutarch

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-06-17, 18:55

It'd be great if you could pull off an automatic switch of light/dark themes (i.e. based on system/OS theme as found in current TB), but I guess this might be tougher since it probably classifies as a new feature.

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2022-06-18, 00:38

back2themoon wrote:
2022-06-17, 18:55
It'd be great if you could pull off an automatic switch of light/dark themes (i.e. based on system/OS theme as found in current TB), but I guess this might be tougher since it probably classifies as a new feature.
If I recall, the Photonic theme supports mail clients and has light/dark icons. It definitely works if you use a dark uxtheme (or dark linux theme?), but I don't know about the dark mode setting in Windows.

olafmi
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by olafmi » 2022-06-21, 12:32

Moderator note: please don't willy-nilly upload add-on xpis, especially if they are available elsewhere.
Off-topic:
There was a good mail program as an addon for Firefox: Simple mail. Unfortunately, the final development was discontinued. But I uploaded the Adoon here.

Attention use of the addon at your own risk!

andyprough
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-06-21, 13:16

Back on the topic of the actual Epyrus testing version in front of us, I haven't personally seen any errors or failures, and I don't see many complaints reported here. Seems pretty solid.

@athenian200 - how is the testing going from your perspective? Any thoughts on next steps?
Self-compiled Pale Moon on Libre-antiX GNU/Linux respin, 32-bit and 64-bit, and on Hyperbola GNU/Linux 64-bit

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-21, 14:57

andyprough wrote:
2022-06-21, 13:16
Back on the topic of the actual Epyrus testing version in front of us, I haven't personally seen any errors or failures, and I don't see many complaints reported here. Seems pretty solid.

@athenian200 - how is the testing going from your perspective? Any thoughts on next steps?
The truth is, I'm kind of stalled because basically everything else I need to do is outside of my capabilities as a programmer. The only thing left I was able to do was figure out langpack generation and I did that, creating an Italian langpack as proof of concept. I can't create a better theme for it like I want to, and I am waiting on someone else to make that, but that person is very busy unfortunately. I don't really want to create another release with Australis as the default theme, which is basically why you haven't seen a new release yet.

Basically, aside from creating a better default theme and (optionally) figuring out some kind of solution for services, there's nothing stopping this from moving forwards now.
"There are two sentences inscribed upon the Ancient oracle... 'Know thyself' and 'Nothing too much'; and upon these all other precepts depend." -- Plutarch

andyprough
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-06-21, 15:09

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-21, 14:57
The truth is, I'm kind of stalled because basically everything else I need to do is outside of my capabilities as a programmer. The only thing left I was able to do was figure out langpack generation and I did that, creating an Italian langpack as proof of concept. I can't create a better theme for it like I want to, and I am waiting on someone else to make that, but that person is very busy unfortunately. I don't really want to create another release with Australis as the default theme, which is basically why you haven't seen a new release yet.

Basically, aside from creating a better default theme and (optionally) figuring out some kind of solution for services, there's nothing stopping this from moving forwards now.
I think the theme is pleasant enough, and the community will jump in and start creating themes soon enough. If by "services" you mean the Gmail oauth thing, people should be using 2FA regardless, in which case they can just get their one-time passwords.

Anyway, great work all around, so glad you have provided what we have so far.
Self-compiled Pale Moon on Libre-antiX GNU/Linux respin, 32-bit and 64-bit, and on Hyperbola GNU/Linux 64-bit

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-21, 15:34

andyprough wrote:
2022-06-21, 15:09
If by "services" you mean the Gmail oauth thing, people should be using 2FA regardless, in which case they can just get their one-time passwords.
No, no, we're past that, that's a solved problem. I'm talking about things like having a place to put things like themes and add-ons. I don't think we can use the Pale Moon's add-on site because of the way Phoebus is designed. I looked into the code, and it seems to be designed to work on a one-application-per-domain basis, which means I would have to buy a domain name and run my own server, and I don't feel very comfortable running services. Not so much for financial reasons, but for security reasons... I would not have a lot of time to get comfortable with server administration and best practices with regard to security, before my project's web presence got the wrong kind of attention. You know what I mean?

That makes me think providing services like automatic updates and having a "proper" place for people to download add-ons from might be too ambitious given the resources I have at hand. Though I will definitely setup some kind of basic file storage for Epyrus at some point, it's likely to be more like an FTP server or something simple where you just download updates and add-ons manually.

But really, once the theme is done, I'll be happy to move forward with another release. I'm not saying I am dead set against doing another one without it, but I just don't want people getting used to this theme too much or expecting that I will keep it and making a judgment based on that. A lot of people really hate Australis, and I don't like the other popular alternative because it's the same theme used by that other e-mail client.