Is Binary Outcast now dead?

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Is Binary Outcast now dead?

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-03-20, 17:48

Binary Outcast’s site now returns a 404 error, and Tobin has exclaimed that he will have no more to do with any Mozilla development. I have seen more subtle changes, as Athenian dropping his Binary title from his signature. Am I right to infer that Binary Outcast is dead, and this subforum awaits archival?
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Is Binary Outcast now dead?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-03-20, 18:05

That would be shocking considering how much time he put into Borealis, even though it was never released. If he is a perfectionist (and it would seem to match his personality) as was stated, that would explain why it was never released.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2022-03-20, 18:07

Does that mean Interlink is dead? Would stress me a lot to migrate back to Thunderbird.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-03-20, 18:11

karlkracher wrote:
2022-03-20, 18:07
Does that mean Interlink is dead? Would stress me a lot to migrate back to Thunderbird.
Claws Mail keeps the traditional e-mail client user interface. It is not XUL-based, as far as I know, but the look and feel are much more familiar and it has its share of extensions and themes.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-03-20, 18:48

A pity, since Interlink is/was brilliant. I now use Postbox. Not perfect, but IMO is the next best thing. Tried Claws Mail in the past, but it was a frustrating experience.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-03-20, 20:08

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2022-03-20, 17:48
Binary Outcast’s site now returns a 404 error, and Tobin has exclaimed that he will have no more to do with any Mozilla development. I have seen more subtle changes, as Athenian dropping his Binary title from his signature. Am I right to infer that Binary Outcast is dead, and this subforum awaits archival?
I actually changed my signature because the image link was broken/deleted for some reason, and it was leading to an empty image. I didn't delete it initially, I responded to the fact that it was deleted for me. I'm not too sure about the status of Binary Outcast at the moment. All I know is that I'm in a very difficult position because I have been a member of both Moonchild Productions and Binary Outcast for a few years now, loyal to both Tobin and Moonchild, doing what either one of them asked of me knowing that we were all working towards the same goal... and now I feel terrified that I'll be asked to act against one of them by the other. And that's especially hard for someone like me that prefers to follow orders, follow the chain of command, and avoid any sort of questionable actions or doing anything that could be seen as disloyal or scummy.

I hope that Binary Outcast continues, and that a lot of what's going on now is just nerves, pent-up frustration, and reacting from stress. It's really hard to say one way or the other how it will go, though.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-03-20, 20:26

athenian200 wrote:
2022-03-20, 20:08
I know is that I'm in a very difficult position . . . I feel terrified that I'll be asked to act against one of them by the other. And that's especially hard for someone like me that prefers to follow orders, follow the chain of command, and avoid any sort of questionable actions or doing anything that could be seen as disloyal or scummy.
I hope that Binary Outcast continues, and that a lot of what's going on now is just nerves, pent-up frustration, and reacting from stress. It's really hard to say one way or the other how it will go, though.
Tobin had mentioned in his notice that he had been working on little sleep for a full week. My friends and family have been suffering, besides, from the lunacy that insomnia can bring; I know how sleeplessness can set a man on edge, and how scary the choices made in such a state can be for somebody close. I know I can give little assurance, but I hope that passions can cool and strife wane, and I wish you the best that everything should soon calm.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-03-21, 07:28

Does anyone have installers of the latest version of Interlink that they're willing to share? I only have Win64 version 52.9.7176 from 2019. Wayback Machine didn't pick them up. :(

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-03-21, 08:47

What we need is FossaMail updated :thumbup:
I still use it as it just works better than Interlink does.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-21, 09:53

athenian200 wrote:
2022-03-20, 20:08
I feel terrified that I'll be asked to act against one of them by the other.
I promise you I will never ask or order you to act against BinOC. If I ever do in the future, how extremely unlikely this may seem to me at the moment, remind me of this promise.

As for the signature: that's because it was hosted on, guess what, addons.palemoon.org, the now-defunct server.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2022-03-21, 10:05

UCyborg wrote:
2022-03-21, 07:28
Does anyone have installers of the latest version of Interlink that they're willing to share? I only have Win64 version 52.9.7176 from 2019. Wayback Machine didn't pick them up. :(
Here you go

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14884831/interlink-52.9.7899.win64.installer.exe.html

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-21, 11:07

If anyone has the Interlink source archive for 7899, please share, too.
I'd prefer to have it be continued since it's actually a daily driver for me.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

smithy
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by smithy » 2022-03-21, 16:02

Various downloads are in Google cache..

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ir

All working, and all downloaded for the future :)
It is common to think of our own time as standing at the apex of civilisation from which the deficiencies of preceding ages may patronisingly be viewed in the light of what is assumed to be progress. The reality is that in the long perspective of history the present century will not hold an enviable position unless the second half is to redeem its first.

Chief US prosecutor Robert Jackson's closing statement - Nurenburg 1946

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2022-03-21, 16:22

The sudden removal of the Binary Outcast website was alarming to me. I have migrated my accounts to the Thunderbird client for now. I cannot trust whatever update servers Interlink uses at this time...

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-03-21, 17:26

smithy wrote:
2022-03-21, 16:02
Various downloads are in Google cache..

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ir

All working, and all downloaded for the future :)
Seems the actual server hosting the downloads is up, so they don't come from the cache. The main site now says BinOC is down, but not out.

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2022-03-22, 08:29

The Binary Outcast site seems to be operating again, albeit in a limited fashion.

The main page has links to the current versions of Interlink and to add-ons, as far as I can see. Those of us who were dreading a move to another client can start breathing again <g>.

https://binaryoutcast.com/
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-03-22, 11:53

So, contrary to his rage-quit post, I guess he is "still involved with anything to do with Mozilla Technology"?

I'm sorry but after the drama, disruption and back & forth I can't possibly go back to using Interlink with a peace of mind. We'll see what the future holds though.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-03-22, 18:40

I cannot trust whatever update servers Interlink uses at this time...
Disabling updater.exe is the first thing I do after installing anything. Updates to my PC are done on _my_ schedule, and not anyone else's.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-03-22, 19:46

I now use Postbox
Ugh, I tried that last year. It was the most hideous, Win10-ish / Mac-like, content-free pile of distraction, so that I deleted it from even my download archive, which has a bunch of non- or un-installed software for um, posterity. The apparent set of values as far as user experience was so opposed to the traditional set, as developed over decades of academic and corporate research. Dumbing-down anything is regression, not progress.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-23, 00:00

Bilbo47 wrote:
2022-03-22, 19:46
The apparent set of values as far as user experience was so opposed to the traditional set, as developed over decades of academic and corporate research. Dumbing-down anything is regression, not progress.
Off-topic:
That is sadly the norm these days and any software that actually follows desktop conventions (sane font/icon size and not 'mobile website stuffed into a window') gets derided as 'old fashioned'.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX