The Official History Submenus the Third Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

The Official History Submenus the Third Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-11, 08:31

I have submitted, as unlisted for now, a fork of History Submenus II after contacting the original creator because there was no license attached anywhere on any archived AMO source. They said it was open source for use for any non-commercial purpose so that is what I wrote in the license provided they don't remember their original intentions or decide on a more common license. STILL.. There is a fork now for Pale Moon and Basilisk.

Check it out and give me feedback: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/history-submenus-3/

Obviously, remove II before hand as they will conflict but you will have to set it up again. Just a few prefs no big deal.

ALSO, I am aware of the issue of the Day having a long decimal value sometimes. I wanted to fork the pre-bootstrap version and will investigate that issue at a later time but not considering it a blocker.

HAVE FUN!

Aschon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: The Official History Submenus the Third Discussion Thread

Unread post by Aschon » 2021-04-11, 20:46

is this going to be a fork to just maintain compatability/fix bugs or are you going to make improvements as well?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-11, 21:10

Yes.

Aschon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Aschon » 2021-04-11, 21:19

ok, because if youre planning on adding features, an option to group adjacent links to the same website together would help a lot with those websites that clutter up the history. either way this is the addon i never knew i needed.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-11, 21:26

I am likeky not gonna change how it fundamentally works. I don't see how grouping like that would be good. History should remain in the order it was last visited.

Aschon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Aschon » 2021-04-11, 21:53

ah, i understand. although just to clarify about my suggestion, history would stay chronological, just pages from the same website that you happened to visit one after the other would be compressed into another submenu.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-11, 23:41

Aschon wrote:
2021-04-11, 21:53
ah, i understand. although just to clarify about my suggestion, history would stay chronological, just pages from the same website that you happened to visit one after the other would be compressed into another submenu.
History doesn't work that way in the browser. it's not a "log".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-04-12, 00:55

So, it looks like this presents the same information as under Library -> History but in a slightly more convenient way - under the History menu.
Thank you Tobin and Original Author, I'm sure people will find it useful.

About the idea of grouping by site: I like that as a suggested future feature for someone who takes charge of development. To explain further: When I use History, I'm trying to re-visit a specific page on a certain site, at a certain step in whatever sequence of pages the site served up at the time.

Without this add-on, finding the right page is a PITA because all pages from that site are interleaved with all pages from all *other* sites the whole browser was logging at the time; history is not separated by tab nor window.

*With* this add-on, page-visits are presented in different menu-lists, with one menu-list per day. That is yes more useful than not-having the add-on.

However when viewing the day-specific menu-list, the user must still search for the desired site *and* the desired page. Half this load could be carried by the computer. It would be even more useful for the add-on to perform the site-search automatically, and present page history in different menu-lists, with one menu-list per site, within each day.

When only one page was visited on a site, the single history entry for that site would appear on the day-level menu.
When more than one page was visited on a site, the multiple history entries for that site would appear on a site-level menu, underneath the day-level menu.
The latest entry from each site-level sub-menu would be chosen to supply the timestamp for that sub-menu.
The timestamps from each sub-menu would be used to place the sub-menus interleaved among the single-page menu items, using the usual reverse-chronological sort order.

Thinking through the whole processing-flow is like step one of development, so betcha this design overview may save someone from re-coding the logic more than twice.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-12, 01:26

Patches welcome. Though remember due to the current licensing status you are likely gonna have to give up your rights to the modification.