Yahoo login doesn't work on Interlink but it does on Thunderbird.

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Hilbert

Yahoo login doesn't work on Interlink but it does on Thunderbird.

Unread post by Hilbert » 2021-03-16, 22:20

I cannot login to Yahoo's POP/SMTP servers with Interlink version 52.9.7731/64-bit but I can with various Thunderbird versions. I've tried just about everything including creating then deleting installations including the mail boxes and profiles. To ensure login settings with Interlink were correct:

- I checked Yahoo's site for info on settings and followed directions for POP/SMTP etc. as well as the recommended settings info for Thunderbird. There was no info there that I've not used before with Thunderbird (nothing required changing).
- Out of desperation, I even had Thunderbird's account settings in one window and Interlink's in another and then crossed-matched them to ensure that they were identical.
- The working password that was used on Thunderbird for login was checked and reentered numerous times into Interlink. The text was even made visible to ensure that there were no differences.
- Both the current Thunderbird, v78.8.1 and an ancient beta version, Earlybird, v54.0a2, work.
- The fault with Interlink was that after a considerable delay it timed out with a message to the effect 'server error, try later'.
- No addons were installed, the program was installed as-is from the EXE.
- Web mail login also worked. Note, (a) both Thunderbird and web mail were logged out when attempting to login with Interlink, (b) no old profiles were used from either version of Thunderbird, Interlink's profiles were new in each instance and located in totally different directories to that of Thunderbird.

(My reason for trying Interlink is that (a) I used to use FossaMail (with the same settings as current T'bird), and (b) when Fossa was discontinued I then used v54 Earlybird specifically to keep my addons from breaking. (The perpetual annoyance with Mozilla is that every new version broke addons—seems the company never knew what the word 'compatibility' meant. As some addons were not upgraded it meant keeping the old beta. The same has happened again with the latest Thunderbird versions. The aim was to try Interlink with these older plugins to see if they were compatible.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Yahoo login doesn't work on Interlink but it does on Thunderbird.

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-17, 02:09

Been using Yahoo on Interlink without problems for ages, and I've had to generate a separate application password for it from my Yahoo account, i.e. not my Yahoo account password.
Security settings - SSL/TLS
Authentication method - Normal password.
Port 993 for IMAP and 465 for SMTP.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Hilbert

Unread post by Hilbert » 2021-03-17, 04:19

Hum, thanks for your reply. SSL/TLS - OK, as per yours, Authentication - same (normal), ports the same.

"I've had to generate a separate application password for it from my Yahoo account, i.e. not my Yahoo account password." That's likely the clue, at first logon Thunderbird susses out the server and has a test facility, Interlink doesn't (or somehow I've missed it). I've never figured out what Thunderbird does at this point but the final account settings, port, SSL etc., don't seem to be changed from what I originally entered and it's always worked after that.

This Yahoo account is about five years old and various clients have been installed and uninstalled on both Windows and Linux to service it, most notably various Thunderbird versions (both the versions mentioned and others) as well as FossaMail versions 25.4 through 38.2—and on occasions other clients to test them out—but at no time with any of those clients have I had to generate a separate application password in the Yahoo account. In fact, I've yet to figure out how to do that!

The questions are why and how is the setup in Interlink different to Thunderbird and why doesn't it also have Thunderbird's automated test routine/setup. Alternatively, what is Yahoo doing that requires some 'magic' from Thunderbird that Interlink doesn't seem to provide without creating a separate password in the Yahoo account. A supplemental question would be seeing that as I never noticed any problems with FossaMail—and I've installed it on machines belonging to others as well as my own without incident—and if Interlink is loosely based on FossaMail (which I think it is, correct me if I'm wrong)—then what has happened since I last used FossaMail with Yahoo (my last download of FossaMail being in April 2017)?

If FossaMail installed on Yahoo OK back then and now its successor requires a separate application password then Yahoo must have made this significant change since I last used FossaMail! So what gives here? Presumably your suggestion of creating the password from the account will work and I'll eventually resolve the problem but it poses a bigger issue for me (and likely others too) with Interlink, which is that this type of issues is also likely to occur on other services similar to that of Yahoo.

In summary, the big question is why does Thunderbird install without having to create a separate application password from within the account and automatically accept the same login password when it asks me for it and Interlink does not.

I'll let you know the outcome.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-17, 08:37

Present day Thunderbird and Interlink have no more in common than present day Firefox does with Pale Moon, i.e. nothing at all. So no point using that as a baseline of expected behavior when dealing with Interlink, which is based on a much earlier version of Thunderbird the way Pale Moon is visually based on Firefox 24. I'm guessing Thunderbird shows up an OAuth dialog when authenticating with Yahoo, and Interlink doesn't support that.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-17, 08:53

Interlink does support OAuth, but I'm not sure how things are re: the licensing that Tobin requested for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-17, 09:58

Verizon Oauth2 support is "in progress".

Also Moonbat, Interlink's application code is native to UXP but moderately modified to follow along the lines of my vision and is NOT a port from an earlier version like Pale Moon. I merely scraped off the garbage for the most part.

Why are you continuing to say things that are not the case when the reality is easily verified? It would be better if you asked instead of declairing things that aren't true.

It is REALLY irritating.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-17, 10:36

I was confused because of seeing somewhere here, I think it was about extension compatibility with specific Thunderbird versions that would work here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-17, 10:41

I realize not everyone can keep the entire history of a handful of projects entirely in their head all the time but if you are not sure then ask. If you are confused I can alleviate it.

Report to my channel for further training.