Interlink Privacy re: Thunderbird

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
TBexpatriot

Interlink Privacy re: Thunderbird

Unread post by TBexpatriot » 2021-03-15, 17:29

Does Interlink collect metadata of users?

I just learned that Thunderbird's current privacy policy https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/thunderbird/ states:
Thunderbird Collects Data To:
Improve Performance and Stability For Our Users

Thunderbird collects telemetry data by default to help improve the performance and stability of Thunderbird. There are two types of telemetry data: interaction data and technical data.

Interaction data: Thunderbird receives data about your interactions with the application, such as whether calendars and filters are being used, and how many email accounts a user has.

Technical data: Thunderbird also receives basic information about your device and application version, including, hardware configuration, device operating system, and language preference. When Thunderbird sends technical data to us, your IP address is temporarily collected as part of our server logs.

Read the telemetry documentation and learn how to opt-out of this data collection here.
Set-Up and Configure Your Email

Thunderbird collects your email domain and other technical data to set-up and configure your email account. Other information, like your name, your email messages, and your account’s address book are stored locally on your computer and never sent to us. Learn more here.

Email domain: Thunderbird receives your email address domain. Your full email address is never processed or stored on our servers (unless you choose to share it when you send a crash report).

Technical data: Thunderbird also receives information about the application’s version and device operating system. When Thunderbird sends technical data to us, your IP address is temporarily collected as part of our server logs.
I don't recall that earlier versions of TB prior to the version 78 spinoff did this, but perhaps I wasn't paying attention?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Interlink Privacy re: Thunderbird

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-15, 18:16

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Interlink Privacy re: Thunderbird

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-15, 23:36

Short answer - no, there is no telemetry or tracking.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX