Installing Interlink instead of Thunderbird

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Installing Interlink instead of Thunderbird

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-06, 10:32

Moonchild wrote:
2021-01-06, 09:57
There is no cure for PEBCAK
Also called an 'ID ten T' problem ;)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-06, 11:28

All BinOC Projects, material, and resources assume the user != idiot. Some may get upset when I don't cater to the lowest common denominator but if that wasn't made the absolute only target in the tech world then I wouldn't need to exist.. would I?

Just Works™ is Just Fine™ until it Just Doesn't™ in which case Just Fix It™ isn't always an option for Just You™. In other words, you give a man a fish and you feed them for a day.. You get that man to teach himself how to fish with a hint or two now and again and they will fuck off and not bother you constantly for god damned fish or fishing techniques.

uwethomas
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by uwethomas » 2021-01-06, 14:11

Moonchild wrote:
2021-01-06, 09:57
There is no cure for PEBCAK
Dear Moonchild,

really heart warming, the way some of you guys are treating users (not only me as I could see).

User friendliness and intuitive handling is what "normal" computer users are looking for employing software, not IT/ software studies. This also applies to what is presented here as support.

Arrogance which makes ordinary users feel like idiots is not really what one is looking for.

Thank for your kind attention.

Best wishes

Uwe

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-06, 14:18

HEY.. I assume as a user of my software you ARE NOT an idiot. Just keep getting proved wrong again and again and again. What I will NOT do is make people suffer for one person's inability or unwillingness to understand the technology they employ. That isn't fair to them and if my software is too complicated for someone or otherwise doesn't fit their needs and desires there are plenty of alternatives out there that are simple to use. Way way too many.

The intended target user of Interlink Mail & News are existing users of advanced mail client software despite layers added on top to make them toys for babies (which I scraped off with extreme prejudice) and the original group of people who paid me to create it even though that agreement expired over a year ago.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-06, 14:41

uwethomas wrote:
2021-01-06, 14:11
Arrogance which makes ordinary users feel like idiots is not really what one is looking for.
Users for their part (not necessarily applicable to you, but observed over years of multiple newbies showing up and exhibiting this) are expected at the very least -
  • To search the forum for existing posts that may help solve their problem.
  • To use their brains and select the right sub forum for their query. If you're not sure, 'General support' is the best place to start.
  • To read the stickied post describing what troubleshooting information to provide, or at least the damn URL of the website that doesn't work for them.
  • To explore the preferences/options of the software in question (not just Pale Moon) to learn what the software is capable of doing in addition to fixing whatever they need help with,
  • Lastly, to demonstrate that they have already done all this before posting so that they don't waste everyone's time. This browser is provided gratis, you are not doing anyone a favor by using the browser and there is no dedicated support team. Everyone here is busy with their own work and are participating on the forum during their spare time (and time spent on the forum takes away from time spent on development for the core team members).
Once a software product is mature enough, support requests for the simpler kind of problems ought to dwindle, leaving only the complex or tricky kind. Sadly here we keep seeing people showing up expecting a current Firefox profile to be directly importable into PM, or messing around with the global user agent or creating new posts about ultra popular websites like Youtube and Github that have had multiple lengthy threads on them already.

So if you learn from these instructions and don't behave in this manner, congratulations, you are not the general kind of willfully clueless imbecile that this is addressed towards.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-06, 14:56

Interlink has a support page though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-06, 15:11

My statement was a mere statement of fact, and neither posted as nor intended as anything personal to anyone particular in this thread or elsewhere.
Try not to get triggered by it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kendo
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Kendo » 2021-01-17, 06:41

moonbat wrote:
2021-01-06, 14:41
To search the forum for existing posts that may help solve their problem.
I keep seeing this put down... search is not that good. One can grow tired of wading through the responses and not even getting close.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-17, 09:16

Search results depend solely on your search terms. If search isn't that good then that's entirely due to your search terms. Unlike internet search where a search query can't possibly search the entirety of a search database every time, searching on the forum does take the entire posts database into account.
If search results aren't accurate enough you can refine them by using the search box again in the results page ("Search these results"). There's no excuse for not searching at all to begin with.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-17, 23:57

And especially not if you start typing your search query in English ('how do I get PM to work with Youtube') as I've seen people do with web search. The advanced search page provides you everything you need to search for exactly what you want, for starters, restrict the search to topic titles and results returned as topics instead of individual posts.

uwethomas
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by uwethomas » 2021-02-24, 13:02

Well, as much as I would like to install and run Interlink instead of Thunderbird- as long as there is no "easy to run" migration tool to import all (as much as possible) files and settings from Thunderbird, it just makes no sense. And the Interlink support page is not providing any information of how to do it.

Would very helpful, probably not only for me, if such a migration tool could be provided ^^

Best wishes

Uwe

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-24, 16:31

Migration would only be possible if coming from Thunderbird 52 and older. Failing that you are simply out of luck. Though because you ONLY want the easy and lazy path I think my client would be a bad fit for you in general.

I don't abide that mindset.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-25, 00:43

If you haven't configured Thunderbird to remove email from the server and only have a local copy, you can just create a new account in Interlink and everything will be as it was.

uwethomas
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by uwethomas » 2021-03-02, 12:11

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-25, 00:43
If you haven't configured Thunderbird to remove email from the server and only have a local copy, you can just create a new account in Interlink and everything will be as it was.
Hi Moonbat :)

Pardon me for being asking a sort of silly- so if I have 4 Email- accounts on Thunderbird (didn't configure Thunderbird to remove Email from the server), I will have to create 4 new accounts on Interlink, if I am understanding you correctly? And can I keep my trash and sent folder from Thunderbird as well?

And how do I get my Lightning Calendar content transferred?

Thank you again for a kind hint ^^

Greets and best wishes

Uwe

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-02, 13:05

Is your profile from Thunderbird 52 and older?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-02, 14:10

Assuming your accounts are IMAP accounts then yeah, if you just recreate them in Interlink they will be accessible unless you have previously configured your client to remove mails from the server.