The Official ABPrime and EHPrime Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

The Official ABPrime and EHPrime Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-06, 00:52

If you will forgive the past incarnations of this thread, I likely won't yell at you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: The Official ABPrime and EHPrime Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-05, 18:52

I am making this thread for both *Prime extensions.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-10, 03:47

I am overwhelmed by the pure joy users are expressing for a replacement fork of Element Hide Helper. :think:

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-05-10, 04:19

No posts = no issues I guess. People come mostly to complain or ask when something is not clear.

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-05-10, 04:59

They work great, thank you.

Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts?

It seems like one option is missing a shortcut:
Screenshot_20210510_065242.png
Screenshot_20210510_065242.png (20.44 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-10, 05:16

That's weird. What browser are you using? In Phoenix-based browsers (i.e. Pale Moon and Basilisk) it should be Ctrl-Shift-F3. On Borealis it's Ctrl-Shift-K.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-05-10, 05:26

I'm using modified K-Meleon from '97.

Joking aside, Pale Moon 29.2.0 (64-bit) on Fedora 33.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-10, 11:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-10, 03:47
I am overwhelmed by the pure joy users are expressing for a replacement fork of Element Hide Helper. :think:
It's common. I regularly get overwhelmed by the silent way in which users express their joy for a replacement fork of Firefox.
But that's just how it is, apparently. If there's a complaint, you'll definitely hear about it; if there's joy, they keep it to themselves. :|
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-10, 12:00

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-10, 11:46
If there's a complaint, you'll definitely hear about it
Or they will create a whole separate place to complain :coffee:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-05-10, 13:53

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-10, 03:47
I was poised, ready to try the extensions and post praise or whatever. I loved ABPrime when it was introduced, and was happy to see what else was coming from you.

But this thread had absolutely no explanation for what EHPrime was, nor any link to an explanation, or anything at all. I mean, nothing to go on but a name. And I'm not that interested I guess.

A short description of what these things are would have done wonders for getting me into the discussion. *shrug*

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-10, 13:56

There is a progression by default of three accel key combos by default. All three must be used by something else so it is null. You can adjust the pref though.

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-05-10, 16:27

Where can I adjust that? I cannot find any preference menu that allows that.

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Likestofish » 2021-05-10, 21:30

No posts = no issues I guess. People come mostly to complain or ask when something is not clear.
^This. ^

Silent gratitude and appreciation for what works, works well, works simply - and simply works.

Since coming over to first Adblock Latitude and then ABPrime (switched to the latter because it was non-bootstrapped) on Pale Moon and Basilisk, the only real issue I found was the lack of an element hider - and Tobin graciously provided us with that in a matter of just a few days with EHPrime. For all the praise Ublock Origin gets, it also takes a fair bit of flak by times, both from users who either know what they're doing but aren't getting what they want from it, or from those who don't, and find themselves in trouble.

With ABPrime. No. Such. Issues.
You get exactly what you're looking for, and it works exactly the way you want.

No one is saying anything because they are perfectly happy with what they are getting.

ABPrime and EHPrime are so good at what they do that simply nothing needs to be said.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-10, 21:59

Neither are perfect by any means because nothing is ever 100%.. there are a few issues but I do try to provide exactly what I say it is. Thank you for noticing.

ABL's strengths are not blocking startup and a slightly newer filter syntax that will silently ignore invalid filter parts. ABPrime's are complete adblocking before startup finishes by blocking until loaded but it has slightly older filter syntax and isn't as tolerant as it will try to execute invalid filter parts as best it can.

EHPrime is fully operational but is a complete code mess but will get it sorted eventually. I always intended to fork this years back and make sure it served both unless someone else were to beat me to it but and I hope you appreciate this.. the need .. the DRIVE to actually get it done wasn't quite there until recently.

I don't fault anyone for using what they use but I do fault them for this almost religious devotion to some like Gorhill or JustOff or commercial entities especially when they have been proven time and again to be lying, cheating, scumbags who tend to hate you personally if they bother caring to notice you at all.

That is at the core of my resentment. Still, least a couple people DO get some practical use of things I and we (collectively) do.

gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-11, 17:04

In ABPrime v3.1.7770 I get this error when clicking on Advanced view:

Code: Select all

Error: ReferenceError: advancedMode is not defined
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/dialog.xml line 381 > Function
Line: 2

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-11, 21:39

Is it fatal? I am out of practice with every aspect of this extension as it was many years between last using it and testing it for the fork. Though I am obviously using it now.

gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-18, 07:05

Sorry for the late replay,
Unfortunately it is very necesary for creating rules, all the extra options are there.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 11:55

That doesn't tell me shit though. Try harder.

gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-18, 15:43

I had to install Adblock Latitude in order to make the screenshots since ABPrime v1.0.7 also doesn't work in PM v29.2.0:
In order to make the screenshots I downloaded the portable version, installed ABPrime v3.1.7770, restarted, opened a page, pressed Ctrl + Shift + V, selected a line, right click, select Block this item ... and pressed the Advanced view button:
Basick.png
This gave me the error instead of the extra menu on the right side as visible here:
Advanced.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 16:08

I don't see the problem. Why were you on ABPrime 1.0.7? Did you remove the original EHH extension? No one I speak to can reproduce your issue.