The Official ABPrime and EHPrime Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: The Official ABPrime and EHPrime Discussion Thread

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-18, 16:55

I installed ABPrime v3.1.7770 on a brand new portable version downloaded to make sure there is not a conflict with another addon, then I downgraded to v1.0.7 in order to make the screenshots but unfortunately it also did not work so I had to install Adblock Latitude to make them, for the test I used the 64bit portable version on a computers running W10 20H2 with all avialable updates.

Right now with only ABPrime & EHPrime installed on startup in the Error console I see:

Code: Select all

Warning: Warning: ‘nsIOService::NewChannelFromURI()’ deprecated, please use ‘nsIOService::NewChannelFromURI2()’
Source File: resource://adblocker/modules/IO.jsm
Line: 71

Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift” id=“key_browserToolbox”
Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line: 0
When I click on ABPrime v3.1.7770 Advanced view button I get:

Error: ReferenceError: advancedMode is not defined
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/dialog.xml line 381 > Function
Line: 2
P.S. On my installed version with other addons in the profile I sometimes see:

Error: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED: Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsICacheService.createSession]
Source File: chrome://adblocker/content/sidebar.js
Line: 282
I can run tests on the portable version if need me to.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 17:00

Well I still can't reproduce any issue with any combination of the LATEST versions of any of it. It is all fully operational on Pale Moon and Basilisk with either ABPrime or ABL and of course Borealis with ABPrime.

Also, not all those are actual problems. I think in the end, you should just switch to something else.

gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-18, 17:28

The reported errors are from ABPrime v3.1.7770 & EHPrime v1.5.7795.

Can you suggest anything else I could check/test because I have ran the scenario on 3 different computers (download PM v29.2.0 64bit portable, install ABPrime v3.1.7770 & EHPrime v1.5.7795, restart, test) and got the exact same error when I click on the "Advanced view" button?

P.S. I can repeat the tests for Basilisk & Borealis if they have portable versions you can point me to.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 17:42

They do not.

gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-20, 06:39

Same problem in Ubuntu v20.04 LTS:
Screenshot Ubuntu.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-20, 15:20

Okay, this has nothing to do with EHPrime and it seems to affect ABPrime's image block filter creation window.. You say it also affects ABL as well?

That complicates matters BUT it may require the same sort of fix. For now, use EHPrime to hide images (or any other element) until more can be found why that SPECIFIC bit in both Adblockers is failing. BTW, that is where the confusion was because that function and dialog belongs to the Adblockers not EHPrime but they are VERY similar.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-20, 16:46

Now I can't attest for ABL but I fixed the issue in ABPrime but another issue is showing up in the console but it may be unresolvable but hardly matters for the function of the dialog. Frankly, I don't really see a point for that function at all if EHPrime is a thing and can block images and every OTHER element. If i can't fix the new error I will just ignore it and ship the version with the let scope issue fixed.

It may simply be easier in the end to just remove that function all together since it is the last vestige or the original EHH code when it was IN the adblocker and seems kinda redundant.

gull5
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gull5 » 2021-05-21, 11:59

No ABL is not affected by this problem.
EHPrime was installed to check if it'll somehow fix the problem since you ware not able to reproduce it.

Can you tell me what EHH is, what is the new error and what functionality is not working?

P.S. Thanks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-21, 12:45

I was not able to reproduce it because of the similarity in function and because you didn't explain the situation properly. How was I supposed to know a piece of ABPrime has been busted for years and never mentioned when I just fixed and released a companion extension that does the same thing with virtually the same dialog.

I am going to solve it by removing the redundant functions from ABPrime because EHPrime can do the same shit only better.

Why fix older and more primitive bits of ABPrime when EHPrime is superior all without being broken-ish.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-22, 11:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-21, 12:45
Why fix older and more primitive bits of ABPrime when EHPrime is superior all without being broken-ish.
Because not everyone may want to install EHPrime?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-22, 11:43

Ok.. let me rephrase, why fail to fix something that is more primitive when EHPrime works.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-05-22, 19:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-20, 15:20
it seems to affect ABPrime's image block filter creation window
Maybe the same issue that was fixed in ABL last year?
ABL issue#29
& this thread

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-23, 01:01

No. Not related to anything I am talking about and it is irrelevant anyway since I am removing duplicate functionality covered by EHPrime anyway so THAT problem will be eliminated as well.

No one ever helps me maintain my stuff and everyone always sees fit to bitch about it or ignores it so in my opinion is that in the lack of any sort of community contribution the decisions I make are wholey justified if they result in a better product that isn't somewhat broken.

You see when you don't throw your hat in the game you have very little right to complain about how it is played. In this case in-action sometimes has consequences.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-25, 18:42

Well.. turns out I do need the composer ui after all for blockable items.. So it all stays.. That's fine.. I will just put a try catch block around the code that is throwing so it shuts up cause it ain't fatal. Also, I am looking into wtf is up with Interlink support. I thought it would just work.. Either way there WILL be an update on the way for ABPrime that actually makes changes soonish.

Novel concept I know but...

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Likestofish » 2021-05-25, 20:27

Not terribly urgent on Pale Moon or Basilisk, although the Interlink thing is a bit out of left field...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-25, 21:02

How is it out of left field?

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Likestofish » 2021-05-27, 01:29

Simply unexpected.