Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-07-13, 07:05

More like Borealis terminating the crappy browsers out there
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-01, 07:32

So.. roytam1 has managed to get a copy of every commit I have done since I closed the repo. Someone who had privileged and private access to the repository has betrayed me. So I am wondering if there is still any interest from legitimate users left or should I just can the project.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-09-01, 17:36

Sorry about the bad news. Betrayal is awful.
I am very interested in this project. This browser is a great piece of software with a lot of potential!

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Likestofish » 2021-09-01, 21:11

I cut my teeth on Netscape Navigator and many years later fell in love with SeaMonkey (don't use it anymore). Was really hoping to see that lineage continued. Love Pale Moon and have used it since the death of Firefox 3.6. Have mixed feelings about Basilisk, but it filled the gaps when I needed it to.

But, really, I just wanted to be able to pair up Pale Moon with a true Navigator again. As far I'm concerned, the way it should be. If that can still happen, it would be wonderful.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-09-02, 00:47

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-09-01, 07:32
So.. roytam1 has managed to get a copy of every commit I have done since I closed the repo. Someone who had privileged and private access to the repository has betrayed me. So I am wondering if there is still any interest from legitimate users left or should I just can the project.
I hope you do finish it, I am curious to see what it looks like, when its done.

That being said, that isn't my call whatsoever. I am not sure why your branding is more strict then moonchild's, but I understand everyone has their own way of doing things.

I didn't know someone backstabbed you with regard to your private repo, I hope you don't suffer from that any further. There are many meatheads out there, don't let it get you down.

If you end the project though, I will not hold it against you, but for those who want it, I hope you do continue it.

I do have some interest in it, but its somewhat gone, though I still am eager to see its appearance and how it operates.

Just in case you didn't understand what I meant... I was kind of vague I thought.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2021-09-02, 01:24

I also started out with Netscape Navigator just as Likestofish did. I would be interested in seeing a complement to it via your Borealis Navigator as well. Will it include the email client as Netscape/SeaMonkey does? That would be a nice package!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-02, 02:38

It was to be Navigator only.. I see no sense in doing two email clients.. maybe no sense in doing one..

I dunno guys.. After this past 8 days and 7 years.. Not to mention the multiple death threats and unjust silencing while they try me in multiple courts of public opinion with feelings as laws without the means to defend my self.. Having my stuff stolen multiple times.. Having personal and professional betrayals perpetrated against me. I just dunno if my heart is in it anymore.

All I ever wanted was to make this tiny corner of reality we have around here just a little bit better and for people to elevate them selves and cooperate in learning and working for the benefit of everyone. Small stuff not everything has to be taking Pale Moon up 14 codebases .. twice.. Just small stuff good stuff.. Stuff that could be ours.. I just dunno anymore.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-09-02, 11:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-09-02, 02:38
It was to be Navigator only.. I see no sense in doing two email clients.. maybe no sense in doing one..

I dunno guys.. After this past 8 days and 7 years.. Not to mention the multiple death threats and unjust silencing while they try me in multiple courts of public opinion with feelings as laws without the means to defend my self.. Having my stuff stolen multiple times.. Having personal and professional betrayals perpetrated against me. I just dunno if my heart is in it anymore.

All I ever wanted was to make this tiny corner of reality we have around here just a little bit better and for people to elevate them selves and cooperate in learning and working for the benefit of everyone. Small stuff not everything has to be taking Pale Moon up 14 codebases .. twice.. Just small stuff good stuff.. Stuff that could be ours.. I just dunno anymore.
Didn't know you were getting death threats... geez...

That being said, whatever happens, do not let them defeat you, I am sure you have a good heart, abrasive or not.

These people who betray you and hurt you purposely by threatening you with death, are nuts. They are the last people who should have a say in what you do, or don't do.

Do what you feel like you need to do, one way or the other.

Peace man and have a better one. That's about all I know to say at the moment.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-09-03, 10:46

The death threats are totally uncalled for. Sorry to hear you went through that.

It is ultimately your decision what you want to do with this project, but I personally think it is an amazing browser with loads of potential, which I will always support.
Maybe you should take an hiatus to recover from these crappy experiences you had?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-03, 10:53

I am planning to have a terrible time withdrawing from nicotine in a day or two but I'd hardly call that a vacation. Plus, now that this horseshit has gone outside the forum communities and one github repo.. It is gonna get a lot harder from here on.

The majority of what USED to be known as the open source community are now starting to come after me and by extension all of us.. Including each of you. It is no longer contained within the scope of the Mozillasphere and disparate small time groups with small minds. This struggle has gone to the next level because I defended the rights of contributors under the terms of the Mozilla Public License including my own. I have pissed off a much broader audience and they will be coming. The war has gotten a whole lot bigger for all those concerned.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-09-03, 23:44

That sounds very ominous, I am curious what you mean by that,

Is there something, I am unaware of that has changed with regard to the attacks on the palemoon community?

Unrelated, but If you are trying to quit nicotine, that is extremely wise.

God forbid, you get some horrible illness.

I do genuinely mean that, by the way.

Best wishes on breaking that habit and also for the palemoon community as a whole.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-09-06, 19:57

Oh jeez. Just my vote - yes please do not give up. Very interested in a next version of the browser. Ya can't take threats personally. If the attacks have the effect "They" wish for, then "They" win. Like you say, the resistance we live here is Very Important. "They" cannot rule the electronic world while our independent projects are still viable. https://deadmansswitch.net

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-09-06, 21:34

Where did you get such a build?
So I posted here last month asking for support of a non-released product. That was out of line and I'm sorry. Makes no difference really that the issue ended up having nothing to do with the product.

As an aside, I stopped visiting that website, stopped interacting with those people, and stopped supporting that instance of the cause, because too many other red-flag signs popped up. As usual, can't discern between malice or incompetence.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-07, 09:30

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-09-06, 21:34
As usual, can't discern between malice or incompetence.
The more often it occurs, the more it points towards malice.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2021-09-09, 19:16

Wow, Tobin. I can't believe people are sending you death threats. I'm really sorry that you have to experience that. I can't even understand sending someone death threats because a web browser they're working on isn't out yet. That's just really fucking stupid.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-09, 20:51

Off-topic:
daemonspudguy wrote:
2021-09-09, 19:16
Wow, Tobin. I can't believe people are sending you death threats.
Well it seems to not be unheard of. Remember legacy collector and why he/she quit?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2021-09-18, 01:47

I know myself and Tobin have had many disagreements on this forum and in the IRC, but I still by and large respect him and his work, and will continue to stand with him against whoever the fuck stole his code.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-18, 05:46

It was djames1 who gave it to roytam1.

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2021-11-08, 20:31

Please finish this project, it is everything i ever wanted from a browser and more. Feel free to take your time and ignore the internet. I care for this browser but not when it will be done, because simply the fact that Developers can create such customizable browsers like Palemoon and Borealis Navigator amazes me. You are awesome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-08, 23:10

leothetechguy wrote:
2021-11-08, 20:31
I care for this browser but not when it will be done, because simply the fact that Developers can create such customizable browsers like Palemoon and Borealis Navigator amazes me. You are awesome.
Maybe you don't realise exactly how demoralising what happened is to developers like us. Where what you have a passion for, something you put your creative effort and love into, is attacked at every possible turn by people you thought you could trust and who seemed to have a legitimate interest in seeing a project or application flourish, only for glory whoring and blatant ripping off of the work and ideas you had (to make something good or better) for short term popularity.
No amount of praise from others will make up for that.
So the blame of you not getting everything you wanted from a browser will then fall squarely on the heads of the unscrupulous people who not only stole work (and yes in this case it was literally stealing unpublished work) but then turned around and gloated about it, and even going ahead and ridiculing what one couldn't even be allowed to bring to completion. How do you think an author of a book would feel if their unfinished manuscript was stolen and then published in that state by someone else taking the credit for it or making it a mockery? Would they ever want to finish the book, in that case?