Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-14, 12:02

You can't and no.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-06-14, 12:03

GAPOaltPOCA, What does the website say?
Last edited by jobbautista9 on 2021-06-14, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-14, 12:03

It's not released yet. This is a pre-release announcement thread.
Of course it gets rather annoying if you've anxiously been waiting for this browser but it ends up taking a very long time for the first release, but that's all Tobin's decision to make when it's release-ready.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-14, 12:11

Without a fully reimplemented shellservice/installer I can't release even previews to the public and if I do release a pubic preview that will mean I have to obey requests for source under the MPL and then roytam1 will update his fucked over xp build and degrade brand recognition with newer unfinished releases attributed to me.

My only weapon against that is to not publicly release anything until a time of my own choosing. That way the superior branded product its self counters the inferior falsely attributed rip off.

You want to blame someone for the lack of development builds and public progression? Blame those thieving half-wit MSFN Hackers.

Additionally, Phoebus 3.0 is also a hard blocker.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-14, 12:22

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-14, 12:11
That way the superior branded product its self counters the inferior falsely attributed rip off.
So won't they just wait till you release it fully functional and then make their unsanctioned version?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-14, 12:59

moonbat wrote:
2021-06-14, 12:22
So won't they just wait till you release it fully functional and then make their unsanctioned version?
Of course they will.
But at that point there is at least no doubt what is the official release.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-14, 13:16

On another subject, the Netscape Modern Theme won't be bundled with the Navigator.. Plans are to either split it off into its own theme or merge it with Ryan's theme but provide the original assets for navigator.xul vs the well done but not original ones for browser.xul.

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2021-06-16, 22:55

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-14, 13:16
On another subject, the Netscape Modern Theme won't be bundled with the Navigator.. Plans are to either split it off into its own theme or merge it with Ryan's theme but provide the original assets for navigator.xul vs the well done but not original ones for browser.xul.
That's unfortunate, I like that theme. I suggest splitting it off, so it still is an option.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-17, 10:16

daemonspudguy wrote:
2021-06-16, 22:55
That's unfortunate, I like that theme. I suggest splitting it off, so it still is an option.
What did I say?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-07-06, 23:24

Is Borealis 0.9.7832a1-64b build 20210611 supposed to be in good shape for handling SSL security/encryption certificates? I have one site that is throwing Unknown Issuer errors (see screencaps). It auto-redirects http to https. Pale Moon 29.2.x and Basilisk 2021.04.xx and FF 89.x seem to have no trouble with it, and other users are also reporting trouble. Hostgator tech support is all over the place, either thinking there never was a problem, or seeing the problem but not understanding what it is, or thinking it was fixed the other day.

Just thought I would check with the source, and maybe someone else sees something I don't know to look for?

Image Image

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-06, 23:32

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-07-06, 23:24
I don't know to look for?
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... .29&latest

Chain issues: incomplete

This isn't a browser issue and therefore not related to Borealis, but rather whether your previous browsing happened to hit a site with the same CA (R3) causing the missing intermediate certificates to be present in the trust store or not.
Webmaster needs to fix this by supplying a complete certificate chain (sans root/anchor) in their webserver setup.
Hostgator should damn well know this problem and how to fix it. Bad sign if their support people are all over the place -- it's their job to host sites!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-06, 23:38

Where did you get such a build?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-07-07, 00:25

This build of Borealis came from a link you posted, I believe? Lovin's it, BTW. In case there's a different one that should be used for beta testing then I would be happy to switch to that.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-07-07, 01:54

Thank you MoonChild, that info was really helpful. I was surprised any Let'sEncrypt cert would have that trouble. The sitemaster hand-wrote HTML before CMSs were invented, but didn't stick with it, and instead uses Hostgator's SiteBuilder.

Here's my translation of your post:
SSL Lab's automated analysis shows "Chain issues: incomplete". This means there is a missing link in the certificate-chain sent from your site to browsers. The link in question is listed as issued by a Certificate Authority named R3, which is used by many sites.

When browsers do not show a problem with your site, it is because they had previously visited other sites that use R3. Browsers "remember" all of the links in the certificate-chains from those sites. When visiting your site, browsers "fill in" the missing link from their "trust store", and get away with hiding the problem.

However if you start with a clean browser profile that has not visited anywhere, and *then* go to your site, the "broken-chain" problem is supposed to show up - because the browser will not have the missing link on file.
Hope all that is close enough. But now checking the last paragraph, it looks like clearing all cache and history might not be enough to induce a known-good browser to show the problem; it might also be necessary to "Delete or Distrust" all certs for R3. Apparently that might mean removing a built-in cert, which I'm not confident about being able to restore.

Basilisk and Palemoon both come with such R3 certs built-in, as Software Security Devices, while Borealis does not ... except I can't find such a cert in Firefox's Certificate Manager either. I tried Exporting the cert from Basilisk and Importing to Borealis, but that didn't help, even after re-launching the browser. Clearly I'm treading new territory.

Looking again at the wording under Untrusted Connection / I Understand the Risks, the sitemaster mentioned that because of the site content, we need to be actually-vigilant about MITM nonsense, or an inside job by the webhost, or other intentional interference with SSL to disable security ... which I understand this often-non-reproducible error might possibly be telling us something along those line is fishy.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-07, 04:50

I pasted no link to that build to you and haven't given you anything for months. We will take care of this, thief.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-07-07, 07:13

Off-topic:
Borealis kicks serious ass and I think I am a fanboy! haha
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-07, 07:26

Well, I could start just start releasing a series of Technology Preview but there would be no AUS, no Add-ons Site and the ShellService would still be half-crippled and it may not have an installer and it would be on trunk code.

I'll have to think about it.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-07-07, 10:34

Up to you, the addon site is not a deal breaker at this point, because some Pale Moon addons work with Borealis already.

The AUS and ShellService I can't comment on, because I don't know anything about it, which one of those two, would you say, is most important for browsing stability?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

moonslayer
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by moonslayer » 2021-07-12, 15:49

Hey guys, I found out when Borealis is getting released: Judgement Day! :lol:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-12, 16:31

moonslayer wrote:
2021-07-12, 15:49