Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-06-01, 11:55

Looking good! I like the larger Borealis Navigator icon.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-01, 12:00

Larger?

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-06-01, 12:18

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-01, 12:00
Larger?
On Linux the Borealis icon is the same height as the url bar, which is fine, but in your screenshot the Borealis icon has a larger height than the URL bar. I'll post a screenshot later. It could be theme related?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-01, 13:32

Would be like that if small icons mode on that toolbar.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-02, 22:51

Here is an experiment I been working on the past few days:
exptoolbar.png
I don't know if I am gonna keep it or not or spin it off to a brand new theme set as default but leave classic/1.0 with just whatever the OS provides for a toolbox background and go with a different tabstrip style.. If I do.. do this it will mean that the navigator toolbox and tabstrip will in no way respect system colors as it is providing its own.

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY for this coming in the future. But it would mean that at least on Windows 7 u'd end up with shitty tabs again. What I really need is some theming help. Obviously, right now Mozilla Modern is the optimum way to experience the Navigator! There is a good chance depending on that thing it would allow switching between this "house style" or do whatever Interlink does in regards to your OS.

Other possibilities are that I shelve this shit and just stick with the OS toolbox background and style, use Kempelton icons, and the strata-3 aero/strata-4 tabs depending on OS which would instantly match Interlink.

Still I wanted you guys to see and maybe comment.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-03, 03:46

Well I did a Linux build and it totally ignored my toolbox coloring. I have no damned reason why.. Perhaps the toolbar styling would need completely overridden.. At that point it would be a whole new theme. I don't have time for that shit.. So I went back to the drawing board and examined how Ryan and I did Interlink's tabs and adapted it back to Borealis's tabs.

Still have some minor bits to fix, do the Strata-4 tabs for NOT-Windows, and a fuck ton of clean up but Windows 7 Aero and Windows Classic look dandy. Given how WIndows 8.1 and 10 look with Interlink.. it will be fine too I expect. I still might switch the icon set out to Kempelton.

Still so much for my experimental style but oh well.
fuck-it-matching-interlink.png

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-06-04, 11:23

Hi Tobin,

Some more feedback (Linux Build GTK3):

1) The GUI randomly becomes unresponsive to mouse clicks, which is then corrected by pressing a keybinding (e.g. Ctrl+T) to "refresh" the GUI. Below are the error console logs:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 04/06/2021 13:08:30
Error: PERFORMANCE WARNING: Search service falling back to synchronous initialization. This is generally the consequence of an add-on using a deprecated search service API.
You may find more details about this problem at: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XPCOM_Interface_Reference/nsIBrowserSearchService#async_warning
Callstack:
resource://gre/components/nsSearchService.js 2474 SRCH_SVC__ensureInitialized
resource://gre/components/nsSearchService.js 3754 get defaultEngine
chrome://navigator/content/urlbarBindings.xml 488 updateEngines
chrome://navigator/content/urlbarBindings.xml 358 autocomplete-result-popup_XBL_Constructor
chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbar.xml 318 set_currentSet
chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbar.xml 223 _init
chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbar.xml 186 toolbar_XBL_Constructor/<

Source File: resource://gre/modules/Deprecated.jsm
Line: 120

Timestamp: 04/06/2021 13:08:56
Warning: Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive.
PureURL error?

Timestamp: 04/06/2021 13:08:57
Error: TypeError: Argument 1 of MutationObserver.observe is not an object.
Source File: chrome://pureurl4pm/content/init.js
Line: 258
2) The password manager's behaviour is a bit odd to me.
For example, I have saved my username and password for this forum. When I open the login page, I get no prompts or autocomplete action. Only after I have entered my username is my password automatically filled in. Is this normal/expected behaviour?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-04, 11:49

fatboy wrote:
2021-06-04, 11:23
PureURL error?
Don't worry about it, it's a random hiccup on certain sites.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-04, 16:47

The first console message is merely because Borealis invokes the search service synchronously. Ignore it. The second comes from a site and the third is from an extension.

The default (signon.autofillForms) is NOT to autofill fields because scripts on some sites might be monitoring and trying to harvest any matching fields so explicit action is needed first but autocomplete works fine. You can enable the old behavior from back in the day but I don't recommend it.

You know, click the username field to get a list of usernames or the password field. Still some sites make you fight with the field expecting it to be filled automatically. Clicking off then clicking on to get the autocomplete panel. Pale Moon has this behavior too.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-06-07, 08:05

OK Cool, so nothing major. That is great news.

I have noticed something else this morning, but you can tell me what is the reason and if it's an issue:

So I was downloading Linux isos (about 5 at the same time) from various websites, then when the connection gets quite slow the download fails. something about connection to host was lost and had to retry the download (which then started from scratch again). Has this to do with a timeout timer that is too short? Because I retried the same download with Pale Moon without any issues?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-07, 20:01

Maybe you triggered their server antiabuse the kind that if you make too many connections to the same server within a specific timeframe it starts to deny you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-11, 06:21

Wee woo Kempelton... Mostly.
225e30da-768f-4386-9f64-77bd4e0158c6.jpg
23b0b2d5-4fd3-424a-8498-6c297f090ef0.jpg
91bdc34a-374f-4071-8394-22cc8c53c55e.jpg

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-06-11, 09:59

Looking gooooood! Can't wait for the next build :D :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2021-06-11, 10:43

I approve. ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-11, 13:29

Lootyhoof wrote:
2021-06-11, 10:43
I approve. ;)
Even of the liberties I took with the bookmark related icons? Also, I made the bookmark-items follow the hover and pressed states, feel free to steal that.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2021-06-11, 13:47

I like the folder icons. Though the bookmark item icons themselves are using the old Classic theme icons still which clashes horribly with the Kempelton ones.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-11, 15:13

Lootyhoof wrote:
2021-06-11, 13:47
I like the folder icons. Though the bookmark item icons themselves are using the old Classic theme icons still which clashes horribly with the Kempelton ones.
Well patches welcome for a bookmark bookmarks icon that better matches. I simply colorchanged it for now. I won't have stars or hearts.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-12, 02:36

So I discovered a flaw with the rss feeds in Borealis that would cause the thing to malfunction in certain circumstances so until there is a fix or I change how the whole thing works it will only show feeds for a site that are served from the same domain name as the page its self. So anyone testing and depending on if there is a solution or resolution by release that may be a restriction that people are gonna have to deal with. Given feeds are almost never outside the site that advertises them I don't think it will be a big impact.. As the mitigation is also for any invalid state the button may disappear on switching tabs in those conditions.. Still it is better than a busted control and error console spew.

Suffice it to say, there is a reason why it has taken over three years of part-time tinkering to make this thing usable.

See also: https://freenode.logbot.info/seamonkey/20210611 and https://freenode.logbot.info/seamonkey/20210612

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-12, 18:34

In other news I made the following change in the platform toolkit so that toolboxes won't be eye piercingly white on Windows 10 when using the default/classic theme for those xul windows that don't go over-styling them selves.. Biggest impacts will be on Borealis and Interlink obviously.. https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/e8be661944c730cb3b702cd7f7d97e0860eb9132

The change will have to be picked up by Theme Developers who use native styling for toolboxes.. Custom Themes will still use what the theme dictates and "aero-lite" for HC Themes should be unaffected.
956c8e80-62c7-40e3-b90a-d319ce42ca09.jpg

GAPOaltPOCA
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by GAPOaltPOCA » 2021-06-14, 06:39

I'm a bit late to the game. Only registered here for this thing. Where to download it? I don't see any releases!

Do I need to build it from source? Is there any spoon fed .mozconfig for me so I only have to type .mach build?

Thanks.