The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-06, 00:49

SO.. In the past I have gone a little crazy about NOT using the forum for talking about Interlink (or other stuff I have created) for reasons that are totally reasons that exist. HOWEVER, I have decided that it would be a good idea to put all that aside and abandon that mentality and decision.

Interlink Discussion on the Pale Moon Forums is now free and open.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-06-06, 07:48

Thank you sir!
Useful for dimwits like me - nice and simple.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-06-14, 09:27

Awesome! Thanks Tobin. I use you mail client every day. It's amazing!
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2019-06-26, 17:42

Subject: Yahoo Login fails on some folders

Problem: Reading the main folders (Inbox, Draft, Sent) is okay. But other folders (Archive, Bulk Mail, Trash, and custom folders) give an error message "Login failed, Retry / Enter New Password / Cancel".
Solution: use Yahoo's "Manage App Passwords" feature.

1. Log in to the Yahoo mail account with a browser.

2. For the latest layout, click your profile / avatar / name then click "Account Info".
2. For the previous layout, select "Account Info" in the dropdown and click [Go].

3. Navigate to "Account Security" (this might require logging in again). Scroll to the bottom and click on "Manage app passwords".

4. Select an app (or "Other" and enter a custom name you will remember). Click "Generate". Copy+paste the 16-character password to your password vault.

5. Back in Interlink, try to read the other folders again. Enter the new password and it is supposed to work.

Did not see another place on the forum for this.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-06-30, 17:20

Glad you changed your mind. I've been having a minor issue lately. *If* related to Interlink, should be no older than 1-2 versions, don't know what might be causing it.

I use Interlink in a maximized window and minimize it when not using it. Lately, when a "new mail" notification arrives (the bottom-left ones) and I click on it, Interlink will not appear in the previous maximized window, but a smaller one. So, it seems to not always remember the previous state - or perhaps something else is going on.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-30, 21:09

That is expected. "Maximized" is one of three states a window can be, the other two are "minimized" and "normal". If you give the "restore" command to a minimized application, it will restore to a normal state, not a maximized state.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-30, 21:32

Here is a quote from MSDN WinAPI reference that confirms what Moonchild wrote:
Microsoft wrote:SW_RESTORE - Activates and displays the window. If the window is minimized or maximized, the system restores it to its original size and position. An application should specify this flag when restoring a minimized window.
And if I were to guess this is the function that restores (and activates) the window: /binoc-central/source/mailnews/base/src/nsMessengerWinIntegration.cpp#116.
Off-topic:
There is also fourth "hidden" state.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-06-30, 22:16

Thanks for the replies. What Moonchild said makes sense of course, although I think this is a recent change in behaviour. I could be wrong.

Yami_ that quote confused me. What is the "original size"? The previous state one, or some fixed size?

edit: There has been a recent DPI/layout change in Interlink, I wonder if it might be related ("Version 7094 - Reset layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to follow platform default"). Probably irrelevant.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-07-01, 08:58

In this case "original size and position" means size and position before maximization/minimization.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-07-02, 10:38

Ok, but I never set it to that position/size. It only ever takes that size, when I click on the notification prompt (and it doesn't always resize like that - some times it does open maximized).

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2019-07-02, 19:37

This is a great change. Now I don't have to spam Github issues section when I just need to ask about something.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-07-02, 20:26

back2themoon wrote:
2019-07-02, 10:38
Ok, but I never set it to that position/size.
Every window must have a default position and size (arguments x, y, nWidth and nHeight of CreateWindow and CreateWindowEx procedures). Also remember that Interlink will only start in the maximized mode if it was previously closed while it was maximized.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2019-07-02, 21:37

Interlink in a maximized window and minimize it when not using it. [When restoring / un-minimizing], Interlink will not appear in the previous maximized window, but a smaller [normal] one. So, it seems to not always remember the previous state
Apps have to put in special code to get the correct behavior, because the Windows way is deficient. Maybe with that handy cross-reference above, some/one of us fix it - if necessary.
  1. Put together a test program to prove the logic with how Windows works
  2. Translate it to fit in IL's mozilla-style conventions
  3. Submit a pull request to get the change into the source code and into a future release
Last edited by Bilbo47 on 2019-07-02, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-03, 01:16

I don't see a problem here.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-04, 04:51

Google is shutting off OAuth access to Gmail and Drive for all but an "approved" list of 3rd party clients.

Will this affect Interlink's ability to interact with Gmail? I think you can still get to Gmail with other methods besides OAuth, but is there a drawback to doing so?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-04, 04:54

Depends if Thunderbird is cut off.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-04, 04:55

Guess we'll have to wait and see, then. Thanks.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-04, 04:58

If it is then users can switch to popmail mode.. If that goes away then that is it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-04, 13:06

So Google insisted on their OAuth method for authentication, making it a PITA with other access (marketed as "less secure" while it isn't). And now they are walling that in to determine which clients you can use with OAuth.

I have a suggestion: stop using GMail. I myself am migrating off of the account I have with them because of exactly this kind of manipulative behavior. The Google account will henceforth only be for things that are unimportant like Android, required service logins, and to satisfy their captcha
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-04, 14:31

You can't ask users not to use something no matter how reasonable.. If that was true then a lot of people wouldn't still be using ublock or noscript.

My only hope is that Thunderbird doesn't get blocked. Failing that, that popmail doesn't get shutdown as well.