The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-14, 14:39

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-14, 14:33
Thanks, that's an important step to include then. :thumbup:
Don't forget profiles MAY be created anywhere not JUST in appdata which is merely default. Also, when it comes to MailNews Core, individual account storage may be located or re-located anywhere as well on a per-account basis.

moonbat, you REALLY need to stop using blanket copypasta answers and actually consider the specifics of a case before responding.

EDIT: Get out of my board, roytam1. You're not welcome here.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-14, 14:50

What I meant was, if you want to particularly back up settings and extensions then they're stored local to the profile regardless of where the profile directory itself is. For the most common case and as long as it is between the same OS (not Linux <--> Windows) just backing up the profile directory and replacing it in the target location should suffice. Goes without saying you have to be careful doing this and edit profiles.ini if one already exists in the target location to point to this directory.

I would say juggling profile directories is risky the way fiddling with about:config is, and carries the same disclaimers that you need to know what you're doing.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2020-08-14, 23:50

thanks. seems like everything worked fine. only 1 issue as 4 messages were downloaded from the IMAP account with the date/time of the sync (so, now), instead of the original date/time... when I login through the webmail interface, they seem to have their original date/time. Not a big deal, but I wonder what happened there...

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-08-15, 21:00

Is it possible to set plain text only for e-mail and HTML only for RSS feeds? :think:

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2020-08-15, 22:29

Lebowsky wrote:
2020-08-14, 23:50
thanks. seems like everything worked fine. only 1 issue as 4 messages were downloaded from the IMAP account with the date/time of the sync (so, now), instead of the original date/time... when I login through the webmail interface, they seem to have their original date/time. Not a big deal, but I wonder what happened there...
more on this: I connected to the webmail interface, created a subfolder, moved two of those messages to it and then back to the main Inbox. In Interlink, these messages now had an updated date/time, of the new time the messages were downloaded from the IMAP server (while they were originally received in october 2019). Any clue? Here's a screenshot:

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-08-16, 18:09

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-08-15, 21:00
Is it possible to set plain text only for e-mail and HTML only for RSS feeds? :think:
It only works by setting these in about:config:

mailnews.display.prefer_plaintext = true
rss.display.prefer_plaintext = false

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-08-16, 22:58

Actually it's not working. It seems Interlink has a bug.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-21, 11:31

I'm getting lately some reports from people that they cannot read my messages ('garbled'/broken characters like οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½ stuff). Clearly character encoding issues, aggravated by the use of Greek. My message displays fine on the Sent folder. Probably a problem on their side, but any tips on what I can check? Thanks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-21, 11:48

What is the value of mail.strictly_mime

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-21, 11:58

mail.strictly_mime = false
mail.strictly_mime.parm_folding = 1
mail.strictly_mime_headers = true

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-21, 12:05

Ok, what about Edit > Preferences > Display > Under Fonts & Colors do Advanced > Text Encoding...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-21, 12:20

Fonts.jpg
Exactly the same for 'Greek'. Perhaps I'll do some tests with Outlook later or tomorrow.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-21, 12:58

Check the tickbox maybe?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-21, 13:00

I guess you mean the "When possible..." tickbox. Ok, thanks.

Is there even a remote chance that dark Thunderbird theme might have interfered with this?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-21, 13:20

back2themoon wrote:
2020-08-21, 13:00
Is there even a remote chance that dark Thunderbird theme might have interfered with this?
Themes don't have anything to do with encoding or other settings. They may screw up your UI at worst with improper CSS.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-22, 10:05

Yes, that makes sense but I asked just in case an incompatible theme might wreak havoc in unexpected ways. Tobin has been quite adamant, to put it mildly, about incompatible themes.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-22, 11:10

if you know a theme is incompatible, DON'T INSTALL IT.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-08-22, 18:45

New support request: Is Subscribe supposed to work? Trying to hide unused IMAP folders in the account -> mailbox -> folders tree. I have seen this work and seen it not-work. Check-Off the Subscribe checkbox and close the dialog. When it has worked, the folder immediately disappears. But the problem is, the folder remains visible. Assuming this is not a bug, and the IMAP connection state has no other problem, what are the known conditions that would cause un-subscribing to fail?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-08-24, 17:30

Okay I've clarified the situation. Hiding / unsubscribing folders does yes work for custom folders, but it does not work for 'standard' folders: Drafts, Sent, Spam/Junk, and Trash. These folders have checkboxes in the Subscribe dialog, but un-checking them off has no effect. 'Archives' behaves as a normal/custom folder, not as a standard/permanent folder; it can be un/re-subscribed at will. But because it can be automatically created, it sits somewhere *between* normal and standard.

On some mail accounts the standard/special folders are underneath the Inbox, and on some accounts they are *beside* the Inbox. Either way, they
tend to be always visible in the account-tree pane. This is bad because I never need to see them on most of my fifty accounts across five mail providers. The way this works is - on one provider for example, maybe five accounts are incoming, and one account is outgoing. All incoming accounts never send mail under their own address/SMTP login. Instead, they all log in to the one outgoing account for sending. Further, they all store their templates/Drafts/Sent mail in the outgoing account. Thus, only the one outgoing account needs to display the Drafts+Sent+Templates folders. On all the incoming accounts, those entries in the tree pane are only wasted vertical space, because those folders never contain anything.

The folder subscriptions feature has various other annoyance-bugs too. And, this workflow exposes another bug, named "Draft Autosave fails before the outgoing account logs in".

Anyway, this is a request to allow hiding whatever folders I feel like, maybe even through a preference that enables unsubscribing from the default folders.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-24, 20:53

Bilbo47 wrote:
2020-08-24, 17:30
Hiding / unsubscribing folders does yes work for custom folders, but it does not work for 'standard' folders: Drafts, Sent, Spam/Junk, and Trash.
This is determined by the server you are connecting to. IMAP servers can have a set of folders configured that you cannot unsubscribe from.

Asking to do this anyway would be breaking with the IMAP standard protocol.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite