The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by UCyborg » 2021-01-22, 22:56

Is this a possibility, considering this is a work account provided by the place I work at via Google Workspace?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-23, 00:26

What, you think Google servers are home of the best and most reliable services under the sun?... :lol:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2021-01-24, 09:44

I meant regarding the possibility of using different SMTP server for work Google account. As said earlier, that issue occurs rarely, it happened approximately 2-3 times since 2019. I'm glad to know it's not a client issue.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2021-02-02, 11:08

What is the recommended way of uninstalling the Linux version of interlink? Not giving up on interlink - I need to uninstall then reinstall.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-02, 11:10

Did you actually 'install' it in the first place, as opposed to just extracting an archive?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-02, 12:30

If you got it from a tarball.. Delete it. Of course you still have appdata in your home directory. Perhaps you should return to Windows though if you are unfamiliar with basics of Linux.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2021-02-02, 13:35

Thank you both. I downloaded then extracted and it runs but I have an smtp problem so I decided that I would delete and start again. As there are no uninstall instructions I thought I ought to ask, or is the procedure even more straightforward than that for installation? Yes, I saw the paragraph 'How do I install on Linux' and found it useful.

A strange attitude about Linux.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-02, 14:23

MGB1971 wrote:
2021-02-02, 13:35
What attitude? You have to understand the platform independent difference between installing an application from an installation package so it integrates with your system and creates shortcuts & file associations automatically versus simply extracting all its files to a directory and running the executable from there - it works like that on Windows as well depending on if you run a .exe installer or extract a zip file. How would you uninstall something that you didn't run an installation program for in the first place? :wtf:

Since you extracted the tarball somewhere to run it, nuke that 'somewhere' and recreate it.. That may still not fix your problem if it is with SMTP for an account since account settings are stored in your profile directory and not the application directory, so you may need to try a fresh profile.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2021-02-02, 15:08

The attitude that you should not use Linux unless you thoroughly understand it. I thought that one could learn from one's mistakes and if you are too frightened of making any that would not get you very far. Also, isn't a Forum just the place to come with problems? "Remember, we were all beginners once".

As for Windows, I would go to Control Panel/Uninstall a Program. There, I would expect to see a full listing of my programs. Select the desired entry and click on Uninstall. Done.

Using Linux, I thought the system was rather different, am I wrong?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-02, 15:12

I simply think that people should have a firm grasp of the technology they employ.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2021-02-02, 15:51

And how should they acquire that grasp?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-02, 15:57

By learning.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-02-02, 22:53

Off-topic:
You learn to play piano by playing the piano. You learn how to golf by playing golf. And you learn Linux by using Linux. If you need a firm grasp of anything before you can do it, nobody would do anything.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-03, 00:32

MGB1971 wrote:
2021-02-02, 15:08
As for Windows, I would go to Control Panel/Uninstall a Program. There, I would expect to see a full listing of my programs. Select the desired entry and click on Uninstall. Done.
And even on Windows it is possible to run a program that isn't installed and therefore doesn't have a control panel entry. There are hundreds of tools and utilities that are distributed just as zip files which you extract to a directory and run the executable from. You might have heard of one them, it's called Pale Moon Portable. There are hundreds of utilities shipped as single executable files that you just save wherever you want on your hard drive and run to use. But you clearly knew all that since you would be expected to at least understand using Windows properly before moving onto Linux :roll:

At this point I have to question your knowledge of basic computer usage since this is not specific to either Windows or any other OS.
ron_1 wrote:
2021-02-02, 22:53
If you need a firm grasp of anything before you can do it, nobody would do anything.
You are expected to use the internet, that has only been around for oh, 40 years now with reference to Unix/Linux and actually read and understand something as basic as how applications and package management works on Linux instead of blindly winging it because this isn't an operating system that's forgiving of mistakes, especially ones made with root privileges.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-02-03, 01:12

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-03, 00:32
You are expected to use the internet, that has only been around for oh, 40 years now with reference to Unix/Linux and actually read and understand something as basic as how applications and package management works on Linux instead of blindly winging it because this isn't an operating system that's forgiving of mistakes, especially ones made with root privileges.
Head knowledge does not equal real world experience. There's a reason the expression "growing pains" exist.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-03, 01:46

You need both 'head' knowledge and experience - only the former will end up being an ivory tower academic, while only the latter will result in avoidable mistakes being made besides making you look like a moron in front of others because you didn't bother to read up on something extremely basic beforehand.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-03, 10:41

Off-topic:
ron_1 wrote:
2021-02-02, 22:53
You learn to play piano by playing the piano. You learn how to golf by playing golf. And you learn Linux by using Linux. If you need a firm grasp of anything before you can do it, nobody would do anything.
The problem with Linux is that they keep changing the way it looks and plays.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2021-02-03, 20:30

MGB1971 wrote:
2021-02-02, 13:35
Thank you both. I downloaded then extracted and it runs but I have an smtp problem so I decided that I would delete and start again. As there are no uninstall instructions I thought I ought to ask, or is the procedure even more straightforward than that for installation? Yes, I saw the paragraph 'How do I install on Linux' and found it useful.

What distro are you using? If you are running into an SMTP problem it is probably not the tarball extracted causing the problem, it is whatever settings are in your home folder. Delete the /home/$USER/.binary outcast/interlink/ folder (Control +H will generally make hidden folders appear depending on what distro and DE you are on) and restart Interlink, then re-add the email account.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2021-02-04, 16:45

Baloo,

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I am running Linux Mint Mate 20

The problem is now resolved(delete/start again) and I have made a note of your suggestion.

jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2021-02-16, 04:56

Feature request:

It would be nice if we could get back the ability to set up an additional account with IMAP+SMTP (Not Google) in one step instead of having to manually create an SMTP account and the IMAP account, then wait for first use to add the password to password manager for each of IMAP and SMTP. Such an interface would allow specifying server names, login-style (username only, full e-mail or something custom), and password, then have Interlink test the login ability without sending a test message or storing a test message in IMAP. This ability seems to be lost in 52.9.7661, probably due to removal of the Thunderbird parameter guessing wizard.

Also it would be nice if such a dialog would allow copying the non-username config from another account (I have multiple accounts on the same servers with different logins). The copying would be "mutandis mutandis", meaning that any references to the account name or e-mail address get substituted in the copy, everything else the same, for example a setting to "save sent messages in account name Inbox" would become "save sent messages in new account name inbox". Obviously, don't copy the password either. This enhancement is not in Thunderbird, but would be a better replacement for the Thunderbird database of known e-mail hosts.