The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2021-02-16, 05:01

Add-on compatibility: "Edit HTML Source 0.01"

This fairly simple Tb Add-on adds a HTML source tab in the Compose window, allowing manually fixing up bad HTML (such as incorrectly quoted style tags and attributes), but it seems to fail completely in Interlink 52.9.7661, not adding the tab and hanging the entire UI if trying to open the add-on options.

An alternative would be as good as fixing the compatibility.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2021-02-19, 02:51

Disabled the NSS DBM store migration to SQLite. All regular users should be migrated by now but if not OR if you are mangling a profile from Thunderbird or FossaMail you should pass through Interlink 7634 first before updating to the latest release.
Is there a way to download Interlink 7634 linux gtk2 since this release seems to be important for bringing old lagging installations/profiles up to date?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-19, 03:21

Yes. I am sure you can work it out.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-02-20, 03:24

Start at https://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/download
Locate the link for Interlink linux gtk2. At this time of writing it was
http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/pro ... tk2.tar.xz
Notice the version number in the URL. Copy+paste the link to a text editor.
There, substitute the version number you want. Copy+paste to your browser and ... download fails because no such file.

http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/pro ... tk2.tar.xz Nope
http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/pro ... tk2.tar.xz Nope

So now that this normal recipe does not work Tobe, what other scheme should we try? No idea whether distro package managers can do this kind of thing.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2021-02-20, 04:16

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-02-20, 03:24
....Notice the version number in the URL. Copy+paste the link to a text editor.
There, substitute the version number you want. Copy+paste to your browser and ... download fails because no such file.

http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/releases/latest/interlink-52.9.7634.linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz Nope
http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/releases/interlink-52.9.7634.linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz Nope

So now that this normal recipe does not work Tobe, what other scheme should we try? No idea whether distro package managers can do this kind of thing.

Why do it easy if it works (not) on the complicated way? :mrgreen:

By the way, a link with a folder "latest/" can not work for an older version, can it?

Never done such downloads before. But, sorry, it's soooo easy:

Link for the newest (latest):
http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/releases/latest/interlink-52.9.7661.linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz

Cut everything from the link starting from and with "latest/" - and loo&behold with

http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/releases/ you will get it :o
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2021-02-20, 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-20, 04:22

So someone worked out I specifically have auto-index on for repository dot. Finally.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2021-03-28, 16:29

Is there any way to connect Interlink to a CardDav server?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-04-02, 20:22

I have been trying to do this (and CalDav also) on Windows with various versions of IL and TB and various server backends (RoundCube, Horde, but don't have AppleID) for years now, but it has never actually completely worked, except sometimes against Google backends, which I totally want to not-use. Even the various add-ons don't do the trick. One-way updates are no good. Phonebook entries that disappear after restarting the client are no good. Manual synchronizations I can deal with, or even auto-sync only when closing the client. I know this is not an easy problem, and the RFC specs were inscrutably useless for a while. The best Calendar software I've ever used is VueMinder, but even it can't do CalDav against non-google backends ... which tells me that expecting non-google CardDav to work is not realistic. Obv I can't wait for someone to write a system that will actually work, but I'm not expecting anything soon.

Look at the situation on Android: Even with the plethora of calendar and contact apps, they somehow need shimware to talk with DAV servers - even the default apps that come with the device. I can't think of a good reason why this would be. For an example of shimware, see the client-side software that hooks your emailer's IMAP+SMTP conversations, and translates them to MS Exchange, so IL can be an Exchange client of sorts, even though Exchange has IMAP+SMTP turned off.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2021-04-03, 08:39

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-04-02, 20:22
I have been trying to do this (and CalDav also) on Windows with various versions of IL and TB and various server backends (RoundCube, Horde, but don't have AppleID) for years now, but it has never actually completely worked, except sometimes against Google backends, which I totally want to not-use. Even the various add-ons don't do the trick. One-way updates are no good. Phonebook entries that disappear after restarting the client are no good. Manual synchronizations I can deal with, or even auto-sync only when closing the client. I know this is not an easy problem, and the RFC specs were inscrutably useless for a while. The best Calendar software I've ever used is VueMinder, but even it can't do CalDav against non-google backends ... which tells me that expecting non-google CardDav to work is not realistic. Obv I can't wait for someone to write a system that will actually work, but I'm not expecting anything soon.

Look at the situation on Android: Even with the plethora of calendar and contact apps, they somehow need shimware to talk with DAV servers - even the default apps that come with the device. I can't think of a good reason why this would be. For an example of shimware, see the client-side software that hooks your emailer's IMAP+SMTP conversations, and translates them to MS Exchange, so IL can be an Exchange client of sorts, even though Exchange has IMAP+SMTP turned off.
My hosting provider has migrated to a IMAP/CardDav/CalDav system and I'm surely not satisfied of that.

There are are too quirks in each protocol communications (even IMAP...) and I haven't found a reliable solution.

In Interlink the connection to the CalDav server works after some modifications on server side, but IL (and the new Thunderbird too) doesn't trigger any kind of alarm, even the email alarm that is correctly set server and client side. :thumbdown:

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2021-04-07, 15:32

I use Etesync, which is an encrypted CardDav server. The only thing I have found to integrate CardDAV with Interlink is an older add-on called Cardbook, version 37.5 Specifically which was the last XUL version for Thunderbird before the v68 update. https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ns/?page=3

CardBook supports full integration of CardDAV servers to use with Interlink. But I hate using old, outdated add-ons. Please consider supporting me and posting on this thread urging the original developer of Cardbook to support Interlink Mail and News. Or, someone can graciously fork his older version for Thunderbird to be compatible with Interlink Mail and News:

https://gitlab.com/CardBook/CardBook/-/issues/891

For CalDAV, there is still good support in the Lightning add-on which has graciously been forked for use in Interlink.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-04-08, 13:31

Yes CardBook was the extension I researched the most. Tried to test different versions and find which was newest but still worked with IL/Lightning. Landed on v38.0, but maybe that's not the right answer. Like, it seemed to work at first, but didn't actually keep working reliably for two-way sync across IL restarts?

Thanks for the pointer; maybe will switch to 37.5 and try again.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2021-04-13, 14:33

Can I ask if Microsoft Defender on windows 10 is again overreacting and putting the Interlink executable in quarantine?

I'm trying to install IL on a new Win 10 Pro PC and I cannot launch the exe, MS Defender doesn't free it even if I expressly say to do so. :thumbdown:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-13, 15:41

Of course it is. Nothing I can do about it unless you buy me a code signing cert and even then.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2021-04-14, 09:09

snertev wrote:
2021-04-13, 14:33
Can I ask if Microsoft Defender on windows 10 is again overreacting and putting the Interlink executable in quarantine?

I'm trying to install IL on a new Win 10 Pro PC and I cannot launch the exe, MS Defender doesn't free it even if I expressly say to do so. :thumbdown:
snertev, you can do

Submission details.jpg

this ↑
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2021-04-14, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-14, 09:40

You do it. I don't have time to deal with Microsoft trying to be Apple.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2021-04-14, 10:22

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-14, 09:40
You do it. I don't have time to deal with Microsoft trying to be Apple.
Oh, I didn't ask you to do it :oops:! I did the deal with Microsoft!
Of course, I don't want to bother you with a request to waste your time on something like this
- with all the different anti-virus scanners, it is up to the user to react to false detections!
It was a response to snertev's post

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-14, 11:08

Ah sorry for misreading your tone then. Also thanks for the info dude. Stop by the channel sometime.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2021-04-14, 14:47

Tohuwabohuix wrote:
2021-04-14, 09:09
snertev wrote:
2021-04-13, 14:33

snertev, you can do

Submission details.jpg

this ↑
It works now, thanks!

I've just installed Interlink on the new PC. :thumbup:

PM-user
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by PM-user » 2021-04-23, 17:39

I cannot find the setting for "send outgoing message at startup" or similar. Is there such a setting that can be turned off so messages in the outbox do not send at startup?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-23, 22:07

PM-user wrote:
2021-04-23, 17:39
I cannot find the setting for "send outgoing message at startup" or similar. Is there such a setting that can be turned off so messages in the outbox do not send at startup?
Preferences -> Advanced -> Network&Disk Space -> Offline settings
if you uncheck the detect checkbox and set it to either offline or ask, then it will not send/receive messages immediately on startup, only after you go online.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite