The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-24, 11:56

Adding SMTP servers after the fact/at will:
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-24, 11:56

You need to create it in the SMTP settings, then link it with your account in the main server settings.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-11-26, 19:04

In other words, under Edit -> Account Setttings, steps:
1. Choose Outgoing Server -> [Add] -> dialog "SMTP Server" -> enter the info for sending email out through your mail server -> [Ok]
2. Choose which email account to update -> dropdown "Outgoing Server" -> select the server that was added in step 1 -> [Ok]
3. Send a new message from that updated account, to prove the new server settings are correct. This is when IL will prompt to enter your password for logging in to the outgoing server.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2021-11-29, 18:57

I am quoting this post because I just want to say that under the setup I am using, I am not getting any issues with accessing my CalDAV server through Interlink's Lightning Calendar. I just changed an event on my calendar from my phone and it synced up properly. Interlink is having no issues for me. I use the Etesync service and pay them to host an encrypted CalDAV server, which requires a bridge on desktop to use with Interlink's Lightning Calendar. Both work fine for me. https://www.etesync.com/ And here is a link to the bridge: https://github.com/etesync/etesync-dav

Instructions on how to access a CalDAV server in Interlink using Etesync:
  • Install a CardDAV add-on such as Cardbook if you want to sync your contacts.
  • Open http://localhost:37358 in a browser, log in with your username and account password (not encryption password), and click on the link to your DAV collection to see a list of all the calendars, tasks lists, and address books in that collection
  • For each item in the collection that you want to sync, copy the [link] address and subscribe to that address in Interlink using File > New Calendar > On the Network > CalDav for calendars and tasks, or New Address Book > Remote > CardDav in Cardbook for address books
Thunderbird never added access to CardDAV instead of LDAP servers for address book support without requiring an outside add-on, so Interlink requires the same. I'm still using version 37.5 of Cardbook for that. Here are the instructions on how to run both though.

And See below for link on how to get Cardbook 37.5.
Baloo wrote:
2021-04-07, 15:32
I use Etesync, which is an encrypted CardDav server. The only thing I have found to integrate CardDAV with Interlink is an older add-on called Cardbook, version 37.5 Specifically which was the last XUL version for Thunderbird before the v68 update. https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ns/?page=3

CardBook supports full integration of CardDAV servers to use with Interlink. But I hate using old, outdated add-ons. Please consider supporting me and posting on this thread urging the original developer of Cardbook to support Interlink Mail and News. Or, someone can graciously fork his older version for Thunderbird to be compatible with Interlink Mail and News:

https://gitlab.com/CardBook/CardBook/-/issues/891

For CalDAV, there is still good support in the Lightning add-on which has graciously been forked for use in Interlink.

DocHifi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DocHifi » 2021-12-08, 14:56

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-11-26, 19:04
1. Choose Outgoing Server -> [Add] -> dialog "SMTP Server" -> enter the info for sending email out through your mail server -> [Ok]
2. Choose which email account to update -> dropdown "Outgoing Server" -> select the server that was added in step 1 -> [Ok]
3. Send a new message from that updated account, to prove the new server settings are correct. This is when IL will prompt to enter your password for logging in to the outgoing server.
Ok thanks, I found it.
Maybe it will be better, if you can set it during the setup of the account.

DocHifi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DocHifi » 2021-12-08, 15:01

OK next problem.
Why filters dont work in spam folder ?
They work if I run them manual but they dont work automatic.

DocHifi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DocHifi » 2021-12-11, 10:54

DocHifi wrote:
2021-12-08, 15:01
OK next problem.
Why filters dont work in spam folder ?
They work if I run them manual but they dont work automatic.
Solved.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-12-11, 13:01

DocHifi wrote:
2021-12-11, 10:54
Solved.
How? I know that some email services let one apply filters before or after the spam filter gets in action.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

DocHifi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DocHifi » 2021-12-11, 13:06

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2021-12-11, 13:01
DocHifi wrote:
2021-12-11, 10:54
Solved.
How? I know that some email services let one apply filters before or after the spam filter gets in action.
I dont know, next day they work.

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2021-12-21, 19:15

Any security updates for Interlink in the pipeline? No updates since 17Aug2021.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-21, 23:38

Old_Radio wrote:
2021-12-21, 19:15
No updates since 17Aug2021.
Feel free to point out any that have been missed, if you're aware. This is a mature product, not like the ADHD addled opposition that pumps out an update every fortnight, with change for the sake of change. Security patches when released would be for the underlying platform code, which isn't often. Interlink itself being based off the old Mozilla mail code has even less in common with Thunderbird than Pale Moon does with contemporary Firefox.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

windows7

Unread post by windows7 » 2021-12-29, 15:27

DocHifi wrote:
2021-12-08, 14:56
Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-11-26, 19:04
Ok thanks, I found it.
Maybe it will be better, if you can set it during the setup of the account.
Inclined to agree with this as well.

I've been using Interlink for several years now, as I can't stand Thunderbird. Every now and then I try to use it, just to see if I can do it, and it seems like it gets worse and worse every time.

That said, one feature I do like about Thunderbird (hey, props due where props are due) is the ease of adding an account.

Thunderbird - adding my primary email account:
1. Enter email address
2. Enter password.
3. Click "Done".

That's it. Literally takes less than 10 seconds.

Contrast this with Interlink:
1. Enter all of my email account and server info manually
2. Poll the Inbox, get prompted for my password.
3. Go and add an SMTP server for my account, fill in all of the server information AGAIN.
4. Link the SMTP server to my account.
5. Send a dummy email for no reason to myself, get prompted for my password AGAIN, enter.
6. Delete said dummy emails.

Total time: usually about 5 minutes

Considering that I have well over 10 accounts that I set up in Interlink from a variety of hosts, setting up my accounts in Interlink can take well over an hour.

It would probably take about 5 minutes to do all of them in Thunderbird.

This gets to the one thing I don't understand about the Interlink UX : why are SMTP servers treated completely separately?

I get that in the 70s, maybe you used one SMTP server for multiple accounts, but this just isn't a thing anymore. Each email account requires its own STMP setup, that's basically the end of story here.

Consequently, I think it would make a lot more sense to unify the setup like Thunderbird does, so I only have to enter my password ONE time, and I don't have to go through the nonsense of *separately* adding an SMTP server before my account is really set up. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Interlink and would never switch to TB. Once accounts are set up, then I have no gripes at all. It's purely the setup process that is a pain, and one major area where I think it could be improved.

I can see the benefit of maybe allowing them to be separate this way, but at the very least, an option during setup to specify your password and SMTP information then and there, so you don't have to go in later and add a new SMTP server and then link it back again for each account would be nice. The way it is now, Interlink out of the box setup for an email account guarantees that you will not be able to send email, because they will all try to use the "Default" SMTP server, which is, of course, wrong.

So maybe something like:
Enter password now (optional):
"Do you want to configure your SMTP server and link it now?" (YES) (NO)
SMTP Server: Port:
(X) Use same password as for IMAP/POP.

I'm fine with entering IMAP/SMTP server info manually, but being able to do that all during account setup, and only enter my password once, and not have to take post-account setup steps to actually fully set up accounts, would be really nice.

Way more than I meant to type, heh... anyways, thanks for your continued great work ok Interlink Tobin and keep up the great work.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-01-11, 16:42

Does anyone know by what algorithm are mails marked as possible scam?
I keep getting alerts from one forum persistently marked as such, and when I click on the "edit scam detection options", there is just one simple checkbox "tell me i the message I'm reading is a suspected email scam". That says absolutely nothing about how the program comes to such conclusions.
I am annoyed and confused at the same time.
Does anyone know anything about this feature?

andym
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andym » 2022-01-11, 17:06

Interested to know how they are marked as spam

My email provider marks several messages as ** Spam ** - nothing to do with Interlink of course.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-12, 00:10

Your email account settings > Junk settings > 'Trust junk mail headers set by:'
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

The_Mailman

Unread post by The_Mailman » 2022-01-23, 14:39

Is there a dark mode theme for Interlink?

I've tried Monterail full dark CSS modifications, but too much of the GUI is still in light mode.

I'm photophobic so i really need a dark theme to use the application.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-01-23, 16:21

No, there isn't (yet?).

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-01-23, 16:53

The_Mailman wrote:
2022-01-23, 14:39
I use the Theme Tweaker add-on to somewhat simulate a dark mode. The message pane is untouchable though, AFAIK. I just hide it when I don't want it.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

The_Mailman

Unread post by The_Mailman » 2022-01-24, 13:36

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-01-23, 16:53
The_Mailman wrote:
2022-01-23, 14:39
I use the Theme Tweaker add-on to somewhat simulate a dark mode. The message pane is untouchable though, AFAIK. I just hide it when I don't want it.
I used Theme Tweaker and accessibility colors of message pane to get this test dark GUI:

https://pasteboard.co/bXKwy5b539aK.png

Is it possible to change those parts pointed out from the red arrows via userChrome.css?

PM-user
Moonbather
Moonbather

Editing outbox messages

Unread post by PM-user » 2022-02-15, 20:31

If a message is waiting in the outbox, and you want to edit it before sending, am I correct in thinking that you right-click and "edit as new message" which creates another message in the outbox?

Or is there a different way to edit the already-existing message before it is sent out, such that another outbox message is not created?

I'm sure "editing as new message" is great for certain situations though.