The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-01, 16:19

They fubared their new cert, it's only valid for outlook.com (not live.com which I use or the sub).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-11-01, 16:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-11-01, 16:12
They fucked up but the cert seems legit just not the right one. Tell them about it.
OK, thanks.
2020-11-01, 16:12
I don't know why you censored bits tho.
I actually have no idea myself. It just seemed like a responsible and grown up thing to do. I didn't think it was personal info, but I wasn't 100 % sure either.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-11-01, 16:31

Moonchild wrote:
2020-11-01, 16:19
They fubared their new cert, it's only valid for outlook.com (not live.com which I use or the sub).
OK. I'm a longtime Hotmail user since 1998 so that may have something to do with it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-01, 16:37

Nah it's just been someone requesting the new certificate that didn't know what they were doing and not filling out all the DNS alternative names it should have.
It only lists:

DNS Name: outlook.com
DNS Name: *.fp.measure.office.com

Which clearly won't do for their mail services.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-11-10, 05:49

Before I begin implementing a new email strategy, I'd like to ask:

Is it practical to run two independent copies of Interlink on one PC, with each copy supporting different email accounts from different online sources?

In other words, can one copy of Interlink be set up to support, say, Google mail and Yahoo mail ... and the other copy set up to support mail accounts from domain servers or private servers?

The only reference that I've found mentioned that a second copy of Thunderbird can be run for debug purposes using a command line switch of -no-remote switch.

But what I'd like is a fully-functioning second copy that serves different purposes (mainly, to declutter my primary email application by relegating all "occasional-use" accounts to a second window ... to be occasionally viewed and closed).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-10, 09:05

No. It is exactly the same situation as any classical mozilla-style application. While you can have multiple profiles and even launch multiple profile instances via command line as you cited only one, the first launched, will respond to shell integration calls like mailto: links at a time. This also has the inverse effect of trying to call a classical mozilla-style application like Pale Moon with the -no-remote state but without specifying a profile since it doesn't know about its profiles making hyperlinks opened from email, newsgroups, or rss not work correctly if such an application is your default browser because you can't open the same browser profile from different instances. Not sure why -no-remote is passed but it is.

Anyway since you can totally have multiple accounts with multiple identities even with multiple mailboxes on one profile I dunno why you'd want to sepetate it by profile.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-10, 13:48

2020-11-10, 09:05
Anyway since you can totally have multiple accounts with multiple identities even with multiple mailboxes on one profile I dunno why you'd want to sepetate it by profile.
^this.
I currently have 7 totally separate mail accounts in use in one Interlink profile. There is no reason at all not to do this, since each can have their own incoming and outgoing servers, own identities, even own cryptography (if you use that). It's one of the great strengths of using a dedicated client; you have everything in one go in one interface in a consistent manner.
The only reason I would see for separate profiles would be if you have multiple users using Interlink on one PC -- but that would normally be automatically separated by having individual O.S. user accounts already, anyway.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-11-10, 14:19

Thanks for the explanations. I'll add my rarely-used accounts to Interlink. But in regards to that, what controls the order of the accounts in the left-side panel? I have six accounts, now, and they seem to be in the order that I created them ... probably because I didn't know how to change the order.

I have seen that the Default account goes to the top. But what about the others?

Lastly, are there any consequences to deleting a no-longer-used account? And can the account's messages be removed from the Interlink directory?

Thanks in advance.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-11-10, 16:09

Re Sorting your accounts, try the Extension

Manually sort folders 1.1.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-10, 16:35

That extension doesn't fully work, I have prefs that allow you to specify the order but you have to be careful with it. Please do not use that extension anymore as it is unaware of the changes.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-11-10, 17:47

Thank you for the advice. So how to use your prefs?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-10, 18:11

You should have been paying attention to this very thread.. Cause viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22240&start=220#p196491

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-11-10, 19:42

Missed it, thank you.

R3n_001
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by R3n_001 » 2020-11-18, 21:54

I added a second account to Interlink, but the sidebar only shows my main account and local folders. How do I access my second account?

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot what the difference between IMAP and POP3 were

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-12-29, 04:10

Manually sort folders 1.1.1 has been in use here for the past six months, through all those releases of IL, with no problems noted.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-12-29, 06:05

So, I will have to update the blocklist then because you won't listen.

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-01-05, 05:08

Is there official portable version for Interlink? I couldn't find it on project site...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-05, 07:05

That isn't feasible without far more extensive sandboxing due to how mailnews core works.

Additionally, THIRD FUCKING QUESTION OF THE FAQ ON THE GOD DAMNED INTERLINK SUPPORT PAGE.

No excuse.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2021-01-22, 18:08

On a very rare occasion, it happened to me after sending the message that I got the error that sending the message failed, the message window with its content stayed opened, but the message was actually sent and copied to the Sent folder.

No idea how to reproduce it, but using the latest 64-bit build with handful of extensions on Windows 10 v1809 with GMail. I can post the troubleshooting page next week if there is interest, but I doubt it says much in this case.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-22, 20:37

UCyborg wrote:
2021-01-22, 18:08
On a very rare occasion, it happened to me after sending the message that I got the error that sending the message failed, the message window with its content stayed opened, but the message was actually sent and copied to the Sent folder.
That can happen if you have a crappy SMTP service that terminates the session after accepting the mail without properly finishing it. Get yourself a better outbound server for mail.