The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-04, 17:01

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-04, 13:06
I have a suggestion: stop using GMail.
Agreed - I plan on self hosting my own mail server, just haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I'm looking forward to using Interlink and K9 with it, the way mail clients were meant to be used.

Off-topic:
Gmail was great when I switched ten years ago - it made Yahoo and university webmail look like glue-eating idiots. Shame that it's all gone to hell now.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2019-07-04, 17:04

Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-04, 04:51
Google is shutting off OAuth access to Gmail and Drive for all but an "approved" list of 3rd party clients.

Will this affect Interlink's ability to interact with Gmail? I think you can still get to Gmail with other methods besides OAuth, but is there a drawback to doing so?
Based on that article and comments it looks like Thunderbird will be OK.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-07-05, 15:04

I've been meaning to dump Gmail for a long time...now looks like a good time to research on alternatives and finally do it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-05, 15:35

According to Mozilla MailDev, we should be fine cause IMAP authorization and authentication should be unaffected by this change.. It looks like Google is targeting raw data access features and APIs only.

Though, I still should get my own API key at some point. But it isn't nearly as easy as it would sound if you go glance at how.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-07-05, 17:33

Moonchild wrote:
I have a suggestion: stop using GMail. I myself am migrating off of the account I have with them because of exactly this kind of manipulative behavior. The Google account will henceforth only be for things that are unimportant like Android, required service logins, and to satisfy their captcha
I agree with the spirit of your suggestion, but it may be difficult for some people in practice. I stuck with Yahoo Mail for 20 years in the face of almost everyone from my generation and (especially) younger switching to Gmail in my part of the world. It turned into a complete mess. I finally had to make the move to Gmail when Yahoo essentially seemed to lose compatibility with Gmail and AOL (The service most people older than me that I know were using) on a regular basis. I'd never know if my emails had gone through or not. Their IMAP support was an after thought that would go down for days at a time (I suspect they only grudgingly expanded it to their free users to match Gmail and because of the advent of smartphones). Though by the end I only rarely was using their service in a web browser, there were auto-play videos there and all sorts of nonsense when I did.

Gmail has been virtually problem free for years now.

I can't even attribute my issues with Yahoo Mail to Google's usual antics surrounding subtly diminishing compatibility between it's products and other things to make it's products look better, because Yahoo was having problems with AOL and others as well at times.

Email is one of those things I have to be able to count on.

I agree that it would be good for the ecology of the email ecosystem to have people move away from Gmail, but we need a rock solid alternative that just works. I could put up with something that might have troubles occasionally due to some anti-competitive Google shenanigans beyond their control, but not if it's having trouble with other services as well.

Everything that wasn't Gmail, Yahoo, or Microsoft's email service seemed to be either Russian, Chinese (I have nothing against *the people* of Russia or China, but I'm not going to use an email service based in an authoritarian country), not compatible with third-party email clients, or a fly by night operation that seemed like it could go under at any time. In fact, when I decided to switch from Yahoo, a common refrain was to try some sort of open-source (Whatever that means in the context of email) thing based in France (I have no issues with the French government :) ). I considered that, but didn't think the service would be around in a year- and it wasn't, or at least was experiencing significant drama last I checked that was effecting the service.

And, of course, to compete with Gmail, anything else basically has to be no-charge, which is a tough business model if you don't have a giant advertising business to support it.

Anyhow, apart from a competitor to Gmail forming that did everything I wanted it to do with near-complete reliability, the one thing that could move me from Gmail at this point would be if they removed IMAP/POP3 access. If I can't use a third-party client to access my email, I'll find another email service provider whether it works reliably or not. ;) Otherwise, I'm going to continue to view Gmail as a necessary evil. Sometimes one wants to rage against the machine, and sometimes one just wants one's emails to go through.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-05, 17:43

CharmCityCrab wrote:
2019-07-05, 17:33
Moonchild wrote:
I have a suggestion: stop using GMail. I myself am migrating off of the account I have with them because of exactly this kind of manipulative behavior. The Google account will henceforth only be for things that are unimportant like Android, required service logins, and to satisfy their captcha
A lot of stuff.
tl;dr
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-07-04, 14:31
You can't ask users not to use something no matter how reasonable.. If that was true then a lot of people wouldn't still be using ublock or noscript.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-05, 18:09

tl;dr

Just a remark that using a different e-mail provider is not difficult.
We used to do it all the time when the only e-mail you could have was that of your ISP, and you had to change ISP regularly because of limited service coverage, if you moved, etc.

That hasn't changed.

Even among the non-ISP bound e-mail service providers there is a ton of choice, and a good handful of them are extremely privacy-conscious.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2019-07-05, 21:46

Here's an idea for a new feature to match a capability in some other systems: let Message Filters run external programs.

In the case of a Filter Action, calling the external program would be just one step in the series of Actions in that Filter.

In the case of a Filter Rule, the external program's return code would be evaluated as part of the Rule. The external program would do things that the filter engine cannot, such as look up a Subject or a From-address in a separate database or file. Each Rule within one Filter could call a different program.

Note that one email message can be evaluated by the Rules in more than one Filter, so the set of Actions potentially working on that message is: all the Actions in all the Filters whose Rules are matched by that message. In this sense, the set of applicable Filter Actions is a "program" of sorts. The chain of Actions would branch based on input from the external program.

This feature should exist on both Windows and Linux. From the perspective of the external program, the email message is read-only. IL's filter engine would pass it the name of a temporary file containing the entire message, including headers and body. Once the program returns, IL can delete the temp file. Or, apparently IL could send the email content as StdInput to the child program.

Relevant Add-on:
  • Mailbox Alert 0.19 [Homepage] [Addons page] - This one works, but separately from the Filter engine.
Relevant MozillaZine Threads:

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-07-06, 11:52

CharmCityCrab wrote:
2019-07-05, 17:33
Moonchild wrote:
I agree with the spirit of your suggestion
Off-topic:
Thank you for that. All you do is agree! Why do you want to justify your choice of email provider? Why are you making excuses? Of course, there are many alternative email providers out there but they will never see much adoption. Why? Because of people like you. All you do it talk and talk, and agree and do nothing. You ARE the problem! Not Gmail or Yahoo. And please don't make lengthy posts telling us about your life choices. They don't help anyone.
What Tobin said is totally right.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-06, 15:27

Gmail in Interlink may survive this round but I still think the story isn't over and by the end Google will either try to redefine the imap standard or shut off all clients including pop.

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-07-07, 13:09

2019-06-06, 00:49
SO.. In the past I have gone a little crazy about NOT using the forum for talking about Interlink (or other stuff I have created) for reasons that are totally reasons that exist. HOWEVER, I have decided that it would be a good idea to put all that aside and abandon that mentality and decision.

Interlink Discussion on the Pale Moon Forums is now free and open.
Attaboy! <wicked grin>

Nick
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-07-07, 13:14

As much as I love IRC and I do love it.... don't use it so much anymore as many do not even know it exists and I cannot, despite my best efforts, get my young companions or proteges (shrug) to even look at it. So to have this place to talk about Interlink is a huge plus IMO.

Nick
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-07, 14:26

You can access my channel specifically from the Binary Outcast website via the Interact page. Just choose a nickname and come in.

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-07-07, 20:13

2019-07-07, 14:26
You can access my channel specifically from the Binary Outcast website via the Interact page. Just choose a nickname and come in.
Yup, been there, done that. Ni_
-N-

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-07-08, 08:06

Good Day Tobin,

When I reply to emails, the cursor is at the end of the email rather than the top? Is there a setting I can tweak to make this happen?

Thank you,
fatboy
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-07-08, 10:03

Edit > Account Settings > account name > Composition & Addressing > Composition > "Automatically quote the original message when replying. Then, start my reply above the quote"

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-08, 10:34

Thanks kn-yami, someone was looking for that in IRC the day before yesterday actually.. And I been looking for it for a few weeks actually.. HEH. I knew what the manual pref was but where it was in the UI I didn't know.

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-07-08, 12:27

I think I screwed the pooch with Interlink's capability to open up an email message in my default browser (Palemoon, not the portable version). Think I changed a setting somewhere because now when I try to use the "open in browser" it fails. I have to right click on that and copy the link location manually into PaleMoon. There must be a setting somewhere that I can use to fix this behavior.

Thanks
-N-

99HVYSK
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 99HVYSK » 2019-07-08, 12:52

Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:01
Moonchild wrote:
I have a suggestion: stop using GMail.
Agreed - I plan on self hosting my own mail server, just haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I'm looking forward to using Interlink and K9 with it, the way mail clients were meant to be used.
Off-topic:
Gmail was great when I switched ten years ago - it made Yahoo and university webmail look like glue-eating idiots. Shame that it's all gone to hell now.
I had ditched Gmail for about 2 months ago, moved to mailbox.org, 1€ per month for 2GB space.

from my own experience, self hosting email and fighting spam is no fun at all, if you're the only person who is using the service, it is not worth the effort.
Pale Moon v29, pentadactyl, eMatrix, Arch Linux, twelve years old ThinkPad X200

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-07-08, 14:12

yami_ wrote:
2019-07-08, 10:03
Edit > Account Settings > account name > Composition & Addressing > Composition > "Automatically quote the original message when replying. Then, start my reply above the quote"
Awesome! Thank You so much! Had no idea that it was there. I was looking in other places.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux