The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-05-04, 11:24

No such issue here. Go to your Google account settings and check the Security section.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-04, 11:25

Google might have decided your update made your client "invalid" and you'll have to go to the webmail interface to satisfy whatever arbitrary roadblock Google has thrown up for daring to not use webmail.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-05-04, 13:03

Turned out it was the problem on Google's end. Unfortunate timing made me suspect the update first.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-04, 13:28

Exactly what was it?

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-05-04, 20:06

There was a time period between 12:00 and 13:30 (UTC+01:00) when there were problems authenticating with Google's mail server. The web application dealing with mails addressed to the support mail used at my workplace was also reporting authentication failures in that period.

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2020-05-05, 06:31

Google wants to and has planned to remove the "Allow Less Secure Apps" setting in the future for G Suite and probably regular gmail users as well. Based on what happened, it seems that someone or something at Google made the change prematurely, basically disabling the setting for those that had it enabled. It also caused the ability to change that setting to be removed, and if you accessed the direct link for the setting from help pages you would get a message stating the "Setting could not be read".

The result seemed to be if you had an e-mail client that wasn't using OAuth, you couldn't access or send e-mail. For some that meant updating the configuration of their e-mail client (IMAP users). However, Google's servers don't support OAuth for POP3 access, POP3 e-mail clients don't have it as an option, so those users were left without e-mail access for awhile yesterday morning.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-05, 09:44

Ah yeah, likely it was a test run to see how many bitched about it and when it was too many they play it off as a mistake. Now, it is easy to condemn them for that in and of its self but everyone does it including me BUT factoring in WHAT they did it FOR justifies the condemnation. You see...

Luckily, at least for now, oauth2 is fully operational for gmail. So you could switch to it.

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2020-05-06, 09:56

They were planning to start rolling out the change to G Suite Users in June, but suspended it until further notice the end of March - which is why this was a surprise.

While you do have support of OAuth 2 for IMAP, it doesn't seem to be available for POP3 (maybe I missed it - I know it's there for IMAP).

There is also the issue of it not being confirmed to be enabled on Google's POP3 servers, as Google hasn't mentioned it in the documentation for configuring POP3 clients access. So, no mention by Google of OAuth support for POP3 access, and there seeming to be no clients that support using OAuth for POP3 servers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-06, 09:59

If you really need POP3 access, then maybe you should look around for a real mail provider that doesn't want to keep all your mail indexed on their server as part of their data hoard.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2020-05-06, 22:39

hitokage wrote:
2020-05-06, 09:56
They were planning to start rolling out the change to G Suite Users in June, but suspended it until further notice the end of March - which is why this was a surprise.

While you do have support of OAuth 2 for IMAP, it doesn't seem to be available for POP3 (maybe I missed it - I know it's there for IMAP).

There is also the issue of it not being confirmed to be enabled on Google's POP3 servers, as Google hasn't mentioned it in the documentation for configuring POP3 clients access. So, no mention by Google of OAuth support for POP3 access, and there seeming to be no clients that support using OAuth for POP3 servers.
Whoa, good that I spotted this here :eek: I still have a few things set up on gmail addresses, gonna move them to my own domain this month to be sure

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2020-05-09, 11:13

Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-06, 09:59
If you really need POP3 access, then maybe you should look around for a real mail provider that doesn't want to keep all your mail indexed on their server as part of their data hoard.
I am not one of those that needs it, I just prefer it. I have their settings set to actually move stuff to the Trash after being pulled instead of keeping it in the Inbox, which is the default. They empty the Trash folder automatically after 30 days, but I manually empty it at least once a day.

It's the business users that are that may need it, not all of which are using G Suite, and they seemed to be the largest source of screaming the other day - probably why it got fixed fairly quickly.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-05-21, 13:11

This issue keeps occurring. Any way to troubleshoot?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-21, 13:27

How about making sure your internet connection is reliable?
Or not using IMAP if you are regularly having trouble with the provider...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-05-21, 13:44

I meant with Interlink, in case those are fine.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-05-21, 13:58

I occasionally see this as well on Linux, though a restart of Interlink fixes it. I have three IMAP accounts set up with the same provider (GMail), but usually only see the issue with one account if I see it at all. It's pretty intermittant, and while annoying it's not a showstopper for me.

My connection is generally stable, and switching to POP3 isn't really a good option for me since I frequently use multiple clients to check my mail.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-05-21, 14:10

In the linked post I say that the only to fix it, is to recreate the account which is not accurate. Restarting Interlink almost always restores the account (with its columns reset to default).

It occurs on different accounts, all Gmail. I tried the latest Thunderbird and it doesn't seem to occur there, although I didn't test that much and cannot say this for sure.

So I'll ask again. Is there something/somewhere specific (logs, console etc.) I can check the moment the issue occurs?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-21, 15:51

I've never gotten it to come back the 3 times it has happened. The sure fire way is to enable LSA in gmail and use standard auth. They do seem to be pissing with their oauth2 more and more. To the point I had to write two new faq entries. There isn't anything you can provide log wise. At this point, I think I am gonna have to add logging to the oauth module. It is getting old but by the same token (heh token cause oauth2) and as I wrote on the faq, we are at the mercy of Google here.

Additionally, i am not gonna listen to anyone who tries to pull that unhelpful "it doesn't happen to Thunderbird" line bullshit. So don't even. You knew from day one I wasn't going to accept those manipulative tricks Pale Moon users like to try and keep getting away with.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-05-21, 16:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-05-21, 15:51
[normal/helpful answer]
2020-05-21, 15:51
Additionally, i am not gonna listen to anyone who tries to pull that unhelpful "it doesn't happen to Thunderbird" line bullshit. So don't even. You knew from day one I wasn't going to accept those manipulative tricks Pale Moon users like to try and keep getting away with.
Right, it was somewhat surprising you provided a normal answer. Didn't last long. :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-21, 17:18

I answered the question with the most up to date info I have regarding this and what I may do to try and further trace it down assuming anything at all can be done from our end. I am not sure there is. Google really wants people to only use their web sites and ONLY in the Five Flavors of Chrome specifically theirs.

In any event, I will run my projects as I see fit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-21, 18:11

2020-05-21, 17:18
In any event, I will run my projects as I see fit.
And if you don't like it, you can build and maintain your own mail client on UXP.