The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-26, 01:29

I am not a theme developer guys. So I can't provide anything along those lines. Might ask FranklinDM or maybe Ryan would be willing to fix you up.

As for integrating this PGP stuff.. I am not gonna pursue that option because any built-in incarnation would exclude the possibility of extensions as they would interfere. Also the possibility of backwards compatibility with profiles using enigmail would be basically nil. I also can't just bundle enigmail at the 1.9.9 level because it uses external components that aren't license compatible for bundling. They would try and assimilate and deprive me of my rights as a developer and project owner.

As for supposed security issues with enigmail 1.9.9, the issue is that fixing them would completely invalidate all your old emails making them basically unrecoverable.

In any event, this is well outside the area of application development. We are in the realm of Add-ons. So get making them and solving these issues! I expanded Phoebus to be a Unified Add-ons Backend for multiple applications for this very reason.

JSladek
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by JSladek » 2020-02-12, 21:23

I have been "promoting" Interlink on a tech newsgroup and one of the folks said that he tried to download Interlink from the website with both Firefox and Chromium, but got "Secure Connection Failed" error with SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP error code simply going to the website. I tried it on a freshly installed copy of PCLOS on another partition on my system and found the same error with Firefox and Waterfox. Of course, I have no problem with access to the Interlink site with Palemoon.

Is this a recent issue or am I missing something?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-02-12, 22:03

JSladek wrote:
2020-02-12, 21:23
or am I missing something?
You bumped into Camellia Appreciation Day.

JSladek
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by JSladek » 2020-02-12, 22:30

Arrrrrgh .... completely forgot about it. Thanks for the enlightening. I have passed the info on to the group that I was dealing with.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2020-03-02, 08:26

How does the program determine a message is a scam and flags it? It does so on perfectly legit mails and completely ignores real spam.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-02, 08:39

Octopuss wrote:
2020-03-02, 08:26
How does the program determine a message is a scam and flags it? It does so on perfectly legit mails and completely ignores real spam.
scam != spam

If it warns you about a scam then the links in the mail are to a different domain than what the link text says. Many "legit" mails are using third-party mass-mailing frameworks and some of them mask the links to go through their system with perfect tracking of who clicked which link in the mail sent out. Unless you want to leave a perfectly-trackable fingerprint copy/paste the URLs or don't click the links and go through the sender's website.
Of note: these "legit" mails can also be faked by malicious parties, in which case clicking those links will do a lot more harm (e.g. phish for your login data, etc.) so the scam warning is very much desirable when this is detected.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2020-03-02, 08:55

Oh ok.
It would be nice if the program explained WHY does it think it's a scam. I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't understand this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-02, 09:11

Octopuss wrote:
2020-03-02, 08:55
Oh ok.
It would be nice if the program explained WHY does it think it's a scam. I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't understand this.
WHY it thinks it's a scam depends on several factors. You think it's a good idea to throw a bunch of technical text at users when the warning to catch people's attention is what matters most?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-02, 12:51

I see no value in changing this established behavior. For the record Interlink Mail & News is specifically designed to assume you aren't a moron. I have no intent on changing that either. I simply refuse to pander to user sensibilities of the past decade into the next since with my projects. If you really don't know what something as obvious as this means then perhaps you should return to or switch to webmail where they will also ignore most requests but lie to your face about it while selling your data.

1993-2008 lives in my corner of reality. I would very much like you to hang about but I am not going to loose any sleep if you don't. Patience but not sleep.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-03-02, 16:04

Because latest version of SeaMonkey has now "upgraded" to a new profile format I decided to upgrade to Interlink instead. Interlink asked if I wanted to import settings from SeaMonkey and that went well.

I have one nitpick with Interlink and that's a regression inherited from Thunderbird. Above the text of an email there is info about sender, receiver etc. (From, Subject, To). In the To field it says "Me" instead of my email address. This is dumb. I remember I fixed it in Thunderbird at the time so it's probably a simple tweak somewhere. If Tobin or anyone else can enlighten me where to tweak this I would appreciate it (or I may have to google my own Thunderbird tweak). I propose this should be fixed in source because "Me" is silly, something Thunderbird introduced in an era where they introduced one regression after another.

Apart from that; Great work and thanks!

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-03-02, 23:35

Octopuss wrote:
Preferences > Security > E-Mail > Tell me if the message I'm reading is a suspected email scam (Uncheck and use brain power to detect scams instead)
mr tribute wrote:
2020-03-02, 16:04
In the To field it says "Me" instead of my email address.
Preferences > Display > Advanced > Show only display name for people in my address book (Uncheck and relax)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-03, 01:05

Snap. Or not.. Did you just call your self a moron and then correct you?

How efficient. Where can I get more people such as your self?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-03, 01:42

All in the categories "Know your software" and "Don't be afraid to explore the UI"

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-03-03, 02:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-03-03, 01:05
Snap. Or not.. Did you just call your self a moron and then correct you?

How efficient. Where can I get more people such as your self?
It's called not taking oneself too seriously... You are welcome. Who cares anyway? We just want shit to work and if there is a small annoyance why not vent a little? I think you are familiar with that concept. There are always people who set the tone and it's easy to imitate that behavior without even thinking about it. Who knows, maybe someone would have been annoyed enough to correct me so I didn't have to do it myself? I thought it was nice behavior to post the solution so we all can have a good night's sleep.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-03, 09:39

I am suitably impressed.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-03-04, 11:58

Every now and then, dare I say fairly often, one my IMAP accounts will have all of its folders disappear and what appears to be a different, 'warning' icon. No unexpected power cuts, shutdown etc. Only way I know to restore it, is to delete and re-create the account. It will work, but it will happen again eventually.

I am not 100% sure if this always occurs on the same account or not, I'll keep an eye. I think it's not account-exclusive. Any suggestions welcome.

Interlink.png
Interlink.png (13.31 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Clicking 'Read Messages' does nothing and only generates the error below.
Error Console.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-03-04, 15:39

I launched Interlink again after a couple of hours and the account "recovered" on its own. Folders were re-downloaded/synced and column configuration was lost, but it's better that re-creating the account. It will happen again though.

(edit: I did access the account in the meantime on another device - perhaps this 'unblocked' it)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-04, 17:03

Yeah, keep an eye on it please. It should recover in the event of a de-sync local purge. Perhaps the changes made were to make it respond more efficiently maybe too efficiently to server state. Tell me, do you have periodic connection issues?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-03-04, 19:27

No connection issues, but I manually go offline sometimes (not often). Perhaps Interlink was left running occasionally - is that an issue?

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2020-03-06, 11:04

Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-02, 09:11
Octopuss wrote:
Oh ok.
WHY it thinks it's a scam depends on several factors. You think it's a good idea to throw a bunch of technical text at users when the warning to catch people's attention is what matters most?
I meant the part about different domains for example. It doesn't have to be overly technical I guess?