The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-20, 10:57

andym wrote:
2021-07-20, 10:41
I have a problem with the latest release. When I download the new file i get a different sha-256 sum.

$ sha256sum interlink-52.9.7870.linux-x86_64-gtk3.tar.xz
a74c6feb2857b2baeac660c4d2aa40596d63710d756044dab7ff66f4a336e042 interlink-52.9.7870.linux-x86_64

According the the download page it should be

4b1480b4e8dd7ad2c0a383542cf5ee861aa1004b66d5fd48d00b089049bafa30
I have double checked and the copies on the build vm match the copies on the server. In fact all the files match their local dist copies. Your download must have been corrupt. Please try again.

This btw is exactly what hashes are there for.

andym
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andym » 2021-07-20, 11:22

Sorry to have bothered you. Everything worked fine this time. Thanks for the quick reply.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-20, 21:57

It wasn't really much of a bother and I consider it important to confirm such things.

flaxthejute
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by flaxthejute » 2021-07-22, 15:56

racorbin2010 wrote:
2021-07-18, 19:37
. I am having an intermittent timeout issue when SENDING vivaldi.net emails from my vivaldi server
Back in March I had a similar problem in the UK. It turned out to be an issue with the web-nanny software at my ISP and disabling web safe and parental controls in my ISP control panel stopped the problem. I think I contacted the ISP and their support did something which allowed me to re-enable the services and still send mail via smtp at vivaldi.net.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2021-07-22, 21:12

Many thanks. Unfortunately that is not the problem. My ISP's (the only choice in NE Washington State other than satellite) cable internet service is excellent with regard to very few outages, promised speed and price. But the software management side of its business is outsourced to a very strange company. I won't bore you with some of the issues I have had with the software technical support trying to set up its free email. I will only say that it has been almost a week trying to get it set up AND change my default password. It is actually humorous for folks like me who don't get aggravated at almost anything.

Thanks again.

andym
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andym » 2021-07-23, 06:50

@racorbin2010 I feel your pain. I won't bore you with the problems I have had both sending and receiving mail but I have had to jump through several hoops in order to make my email service work properly:

My set up is to use smtp2go to send all my emails (free up to 1000 emails per month), a gmail account to receive emails which are otherwise (helpfully?) deleted by my ISP without saving, and set up to forward all emails to my regular ISP email address, which fools the ISP to allow them through.

I know! I know! But it works.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-23, 07:31

andym wrote:
2021-07-23, 06:50
a gmail account to receive emails which are otherwise (helpfully?) deleted by my ISP without saving
That is actually preventing egress spoofing (i.e. preventing users from sending mail with spoofed "from" addresses that the ISP's mail server cannot verify you own)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andym
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andym » 2021-07-23, 07:48

Possibly, but in my case it does not appear to be the case. The 'from' address can be any address, verifiable or not. In my case the ISP is checking something else. Since the email is deleted without saving I cannot examine the headers to see what was considered unacceptable. Googling the problem resulted in many similar complaints by other users of my ISP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-23, 08:17

andym wrote:
2021-07-23, 07:48
The 'from' address can be any address, verifiable or not.
Actually, many ISPs do not allow this if you use their outbound server, OR they require that you use SMTP authentication when you send mail through them when using a non-ISP "From:" address so they can verify it was sent by you and not some spammer. That is normal practice for any ISP/mail operator.
(They risk being shut off from the internet by their backbone peers if they are a major spam source)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

andym
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andym » 2021-07-23, 08:43

Sorry but I don't think I understand. My problem with my ISP is not with sending emails. All the emails are sent correctly, except that sometimes the server takes so long the respond that the email fails. In the cases that I am referring to the emails are sent correctly by smtp2go. I can verify this through the smpt2go logs.

If I send a test email from myself to myself, it is sent and received correctly.

If I send the offending (not offensive :thumbup: , not spam) email from myself to myself, the email is deleted by my ISP.

So it would seem that in this case it has nothing to do with the 'from' address.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-23, 10:15

Then I guess your ISP needs to hire someone to fix this on their end. Sounds like someone put a wrongly configured or overzealous spam filter on outbound mail.

petercooperjr
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by petercooperjr » 2021-07-23, 12:48

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-30, 18:20
As a bonus, there is a little known preference to use the Toolkit Download Manager UI if you don't prefer the superior user experience of the Communicator Style UI. So it is up to you along with all the traditional features and preferences of old that include the subset that JSDownloads arbitrarily still honored.
I love Interlink, but I'm a bit confused as the change in this "downloads" UI. Specifically, before when I opened an attachment, it just asked me what to do with it, but now in addition it also shows up in this "Download Manager" window. I suppose some people might find it helpful to see all the attachments they've opened, but to me it just seems like an extra window getting in the way. But it sounds like this experience has a lot more "traditional features and preferences", but I don't know what they are (as I didn't use Firefox much "back in the day"). Is there some documentation or reference I should be looking at to help me figure out how to customize this new Download Manager? Or at the very least, is there some easy preference to set to just "make it the way it was" and let me save or open attachments without also showing this Download Manager window?

Thanks.

andym
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andym » 2021-07-23, 13:22

@Moonchild That seems to be the general opinion.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-23, 14:00

This smtp discussion has jack to do with Interlink specifically. Take it elsewhere please.

As for Downloads/Saved Files, petercooperjr, as it is now and once again a real fully functioning Downloads Manager it has all the preferences and features of old. You will get GUI control of said preferences in the next version with the full Preferences UI replacement and revamp. In the meantime, please use your brain and research those prefs and set them in about:config to your liking until the next release in about 3 weeks or so..

In the future, I suggest you do not try and use ignorance as a reason to get me to do something. That may work with Moonchild some of the time but not me.

tl;dr When you are in a BinOC zone or are using a BinOC product you must up your game as I won't tollerate bitching of this type regardless of venue.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-07-26, 01:42

Let me re-phrase. What setting under about:config will turn off the Download Manager's new "auto-open" behavior?

For now until the pref becomes accessible through the UI in an upcoming release, say I want to set the pref to other than the current default, so that the window will not-appear after every download.

I assume such setting a would not disturb the function of Ctrl-J/whatever hotkey for "Open the Download Manager window".

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-26, 02:53

Let's see if you can work it out based on 15+ years of history.

DraftStan

Unread post by DraftStan » 2021-07-30, 15:04

I've changed browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone to true, and the download manager window remains open after opening an e-mail attachment. Thought that would have done it. Am I missing something?

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-08-06, 16:04

I had retained the wrong master password I had set up for interlink, Version: 52.9.7870 (64-bit). So I then uninstalled the program, and re-installed it. This was an unsuccessful attempt to 'erase' the password.. I am running interlink on a Win 10 laptop. I'm at a loss. Please help me or tell me where to read up so I can figure this out myself. Thanks.

oh BTW, I ran regedit and searched on 'interlink', but nothing jumped out at me and offered 'password deletion services'..
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-06, 19:31

So you don't understand that there is profile data in Application Data but if you remove that you remove .. the profile. You also don't understand that using a master password has huge consequences if you forget it. Providing you clear it you loose all your account credentials in the process.

Basically, you don't know how computers work. Well here is news for you.. Binary Outcast software assumes you are not a moron. Please respect it by not being one, moron.

----

ALSO for those of you butthurt over the Download Manager.. set browser.download.manager.behavior to 2 in the Configuration Editor and you won't see it popup. GUI Preferences are coming..

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-08-06, 21:31

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-08-06, 19:31
So you don't understand that there is profile data in Application Data but if you remove that you remove .. the profile. You also don't understand that using a master password has huge consequences if you forget it. Providing you clear it you loose all your account credentials in the process.
Somehow it didn't even occur to me to look in the AppDir directory. :oops: Losing (and thereby re-entering) account creds such as server names, ports, user names, and passwords isn't a problem. Thanks.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'