Experiment in making Pale Moon 32 bit run faster on Windows

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Experiment in making Pale Moon 32 bit run faster on Windows

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-18, 05:51

This is something I tried because I was curious if it would make any difference. Subjectively, it did make the 32 bit version of Pale Moon run faster and smoother.

This is only a broad outline of what I did, and I am not recommending this to anyone, but showing it in case it is interesting, while being totally aware that this isn't a new or original idea.

Got the freeware version of Radeon RAMDisk.

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php

and made a 2G (probably bigger than necessary) disk called M:

Used 7-zip to make an archive of my profile folder, which I named PMProfile.7z and put it in the Pale Moon program folder where palemoon.exe lives. Made a batch file (also put in the Pale Moon program folder which must be writable) named pm.bat with these lines:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\7-Zip\7z.exe x -r -oM:\PMProfile PMProfile.7z *.*
Palemoon.exe -no-remote -profile M:\PMProfile
del PMProfile.7z
C:\Program Files (x86)\7-Zip\7z.exe a -r PMProfile.7z M:\PMProfile\*
Now Pale Moon uses the profile on the RAMDisk, and archives an updated copy of the profile when Pale Moon closes.

Note, running Pale Moon from this batch file means you must not Restart the browser at any time! Otherwise, the PMProfile.7z file gets messed up.

Extra tip, in about:config set the 

Code: Select all

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
value to the M:\TEMP folder that the RAMDisk automatically creates.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.