Pale Moon on Raspberry Pi.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Gerald2

Pale Moon on Raspberry Pi.

Unread post by Gerald2 » 2024-03-11, 17:25

Hi all,

Currently running 29.4.6 which I built on the Pi more than a year ago. There are a couple of irritating issues with this build, and I haven't found a binary package for the Pi so I tried to build the latest source from Github to see if that's any better.

I followed the directions at

https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/

and apart from a failure to build something for NVIDIA (which I ignored) during the installation of the prerquisites, all went more or less OK until about two hours into './mach build' when it quit the build with a load of undefined references to mozilla::dom::<all sorts of different things such as ContainerBoxObjectBinding::Wrap>, most of which scrolled off the screen before I could see them. Next time, I'll pipe the output to a file.

This is Debian Bullseye, gcc V10. The hardware is a Pi 4B with 8G RAM, and nothing else of any size was running during the build - not even X.

Have I missed something?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon on Raspberry Pi.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-11, 19:18

Please capture a build log and post it. We can't "guess" what your errors are from a mention of "it was something mentioning these sorts of functions"...

It's possible there's some unified building dependency issues which can crop up depending on how individual files are being bundled (the infamous dependency rot or "deprot" for short) but we can't tell unless we see the build log output starting with the actual build error. if the build log is large just zip it and attach.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-11, 22:16

Gerald2 wrote:
2024-03-11, 17:25
This is Debian Bullseye
Have you tried Steve Pussers' ARM packages for Debian 11? I don't know which ARM architecture your Raspberry Pi would use, but he's got a couple of different current ARM builds of Pale Moon: https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... venpusser/

Gerald2

Unread post by Gerald2 » 2024-03-15, 17:07

Thanks for the replies, and especially thank you Moonchild as I gather you're not well at the moment. All my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yes I tried a build from Mr. Pusser but ran into dependency hell (things like libc6...) but I prefer to build from source in any case, so I may have a fighting chance of fixing things.

The output of a failed './mach build' is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.