Really Man?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Really Man?

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-09, 21:35

FranklinDM wrote:
2024-03-08, 08:46
On the flip side, it's funny that they have to compile and customize Firefox from source just to achieve what Pale Moon can do out of the box with complete themes like PMChrome.
You're right, this Silverfox is just pure theft of @Lootyhoof. They look exactly the same to me.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2024-03-09, 21:44

It is not theft, only the aesthetics are similar. In which case, I can't exactly lay claim to the Chrome styling (thank Google for that).

It is a genuinely good effort by all accounts; I wouldn't want to be in their shoes though! Even if using userChrome is harder to break on a version change than standard XUL themes, it just means it breaks in more subtle ways. I do prefer the GitHub repo over the more biased site, though.

https://github.com/florinsdistortedvision/silverfox

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2024-03-10, 12:50

Lootyhoof wrote:
2024-03-09, 21:44
I do prefer the GitHub repo over the more biased site, though.

https://github.com/florinsdistortedvision/silverfox
I didn't bother downloading it and didn't see the GitHub repo. Yeah, they're using userChrome to customize Firefox 115 ESR, which is much simpler than what I initially assumed it to be. But still, it's more complicated when compared to how easy it is to install complete themes for Pale Moon and other UXP applications. ;)

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2024-03-10, 13:10

Laughably it doesn't even work with the latest version of Vivaldi (which is Chromium based). Throws another "IE you can't be serious" page. As MC says, broken browser sniffing is a simply idiotic way to try and promote an "alternative browser" that hardly anyone can download...

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2024-03-10, 23:28

PseudoDistant wrote:
2024-03-09, 01:19
The

I really don't get what they're thinking...
(Yes it's Google Trends give me a better alternative.)
Wow. Looks like they aren't even in the game. :lol: Well done @PseudoDistant :clap:

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2024-03-11, 15:36

andyprough wrote:
2024-03-09, 21:35
You're right, this Silverfox is just pure theft of @Lootyhoof. They look exactly the same to me.
I wouldn't say it's theft from Lootyhoof considering that it's designed to look like old versions of Google's Chrome browser. If anything it's theft from the team at Google that designed that iteration of the Chrome GUI. Even then, Google Chrome's GUI is based on Chromium which is open source.

Even if it were based on LootyHoof's code, as long as they weren't violating the MPL licence that Lootyhoof's theme uses then there would be no theft going on. They'd be well within their rights to do what they want as long as they aren't violating license terms.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756