popup blocking

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

popup blocking

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-02-17, 04:25

i use a site http://free.date but for some reason (though I have block popups checked/ticked) in recent years it's usually popping-up a window from statsclick.biz or something... is there any way to get rid of this?
        However, this isn't quite as urgent as my previous post, replacing profile (corrupt?) (am I allowed to 'bump' it from the menu?)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: popup blocking

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-02-17, 05:26

I clicked on the link you provided and no pop-up window from statsclick.biz occurred. But I am using uBlock Origin as my adblocker and it was enabled for the Free site.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-02-17, 05:28

So am I (though some functions don't seem to work in Pale Moon anymore, such as block specific HTML element). Of course, you may have to try to login for it to popup.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-17, 06:06

dchmelik wrote:
2024-02-17, 05:28
So am I (though some functions don't seem to work in Pale Moon anymore, such as block specific HTML element). Of course, you may have to try to login for it to popup.
Any adblocker is only as good as the filter subscriptions it has; get EasyList/EasyPrivacy and Fanboy's lists from here. Also ensure you're using the legacy version of uBO and not something even older. The element selector works fine otherwise.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-02-17, 06:30

This isn't a uBlock Origin thread, or it'd be in the addons forum. The issue simply is Pale Moon preferences->content has popup blocking option which isn't working.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-17, 10:04

Popup scripts have gotten more sophisticated now, the basic popup blocking inherited from Firefox won't be as successful as an adblocker extension. Moreover, the built in popup blocker is only for actual separate popup windows, which have become rare in favor of scripted popups using DIV tags or CSS within the page.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-02-17, 10:23

Okay. I looked at those lists but didn't see a way to install them in uBlock Origin. Of course I have the version you mentioned but sometimes after you block an element on a site, and come back to that page later, it reappears.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-17, 11:28

dchmelik wrote:
2024-02-17, 10:23
but sometimes after you block an element on a site, and come back to that page later, it reappears.
Make sure you're using the element picker and not the zapper. The picker creates a blocking rule out of whatever you select, which can be tweaked and will persist between site visits. The zapper just removes it for the current session.

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-02-17, 15:11

Fortunately uBlock Origin was able to block popup for that site, but I thought it could block them on all sites?
        Of course, I do have the particular uBlock Origin version and use the picker (the addon information page is the GitHub link you gave). The particular site has an element blocked in FireFox and Chrome but always comes back in Pale Moon.
        

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-18, 01:37

If you're on Reddit, ask in r/ublockorigin about creating a custom rule for the offending site, they'll be better able to help with it.

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-03-02, 09:26

I don't use reddit.
        I thought uBlock Origin could permanently block popups or for some or all sites, but seems I must restart that (doesn't save) for every site on every session, which almost defeats purpose.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-02, 12:11

So did you add and update filter lists as I told you to earlier? I get zero popups on the site, courtesy uBO. EasyList blocks most of them.