GoTo says Pale Moon "Looks Good!"

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

GoTo says Pale Moon "Looks Good!"

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-02-08, 06:01

I have a webinar next week, and despite GoTo saying that these are the system requirements:

When I ran the Attendee System Check it gave Pale Moon a thumbs up! I will report back afterwards on how it went.

Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: GoTo says Pale Moon "Looks Good!"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-08, 06:35

Because it thinks it's Firefox 102. No guarantee it will work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2024-02-08, 09:01

If that webinar uses WebRTC, it won't work.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-02-08, 10:48

Given that GoTo thinks Pale Moon is Firefox 102, which is way older than the "most recent 3 versions", I thought that maybe it is doing a check that involves testing for the necessary features in the browser? I guess I will find out when the times comes for the webinar!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-08, 11:24

You can probably suss out some thing by checking the 'system requirements" but if they just say "a recent chrome or firefox" then that won't help of course.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-08, 16:18

Actually, I'm pretty confident that it won't work in Pale Moon, because GoToMeeting uses WebRTC... in fact, pretty much all videoconferencing stuff uses WebRTC. It might work in Basilisk, though. It might be worth giving that a try as well, if you have time. I'm sure Basilisk-Dev would appreciate the feedback on the WebRTC implementation, since that's a core feature of Basilisk.

That said, the text chat might work in Pale Moon if there is one (same as Discord or Skype), and you might be able to see other people's video feeds depending on how they chose to implement this (that could just be shown as normal streaming video), but they definitely won't be able to see your webcam or hear your microphone. There is, to my knowledge, no way of doing that in a web browser that doesn't rely on WebRTC. Before WebRTC, I think everyone relied on either browser plugins or dedicated applications for this that all did things their own way.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-09, 08:08

athenian200 wrote:
2024-02-08, 16:18
Before WebRTC, I think everyone relied on either browser plugins or dedicated applications for this that all did things their own way.
As it should've been :(
Instead of stuffing everything and the kitchen sink into the web standards. Browser plugins were the perfect way to allow proprietary content for whoever wanted it, given NPAPI could load the plugin only on demand and one could block them for specific sites.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-02-16, 02:21

Something to note is that a webinar is not general video conferencing. Instead, a webinar is a one-way meeting, so my camera or microphone was not used, it was all about the one presenter and many viewers.

But with that point out of the way, yesterday I successfully used Pale Moon for the webinar and the text chat window worked fine.

Maybe that is not surprising, since it was only a webinar, but I was still delighted to use my favourite browser on a premium business site with stated requirements that appeared to exclude using Pale Moon. I count it as a win.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-16, 02:39

suzyne wrote:
2024-02-16, 02:21
But with that point out of the way, yesterday I successfully used Pale Moon for the webinar and the text chat window worked fine.

Maybe that is not surprising, since it was only a webinar, but I was still delighted to use my favourite browser on a premium business site with stated requirements that appeared to exclude using Pale Moon. I count it as a win.
That's good to hear! :thumbup:

I have to admit, I wasn't sure, because sometimes the term "webinar" is used for a mostly one-way presentation where you just listen to the speakers for an hour, but then you need the microphone if they take questions afterwards.

Does make sense that if it wasn't general videoconferencing, it should work just fine in a one-way meeting with streaming video and text chat, though.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind