Why high CPU and GPU usage on website?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Why high CPU and GPU usage on website?

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-12, 12:53

Not Pale Moon-specific. Trying to understand why a seemingly simple support forum page, would increase both CPU and GPU usage just by looking at it. Actual interaction makes it worse, of course. Another "modern" trend?

Cyberlink Feedback Forum

Hardly surprising that this new "board", recently replaced a perfectly fine forum. That's become "legacy" and old school too, now. See the thrilling "better user experience" announcement and a backup of the old forum, below:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/list.page

Expected user feedback (not exactly positive) about the new board, in this thread.

Cyberlink new forum.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Why high CPU and GPU usage on website?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-12, 13:07

I don't see anything immediately out-of-band when visiting it, but I do think one of the issue with those kinds of "forums" is that the "load more on scroll" approach literally makes it impossible to reach the page footer (where all the useful links are to jump to different parts of the corporate site)

As for why you might see high cpu/gpu usage on seemingly innocuous sites, it often has everything to do with them being loaded with observers/event hooks in a bid to (obsessively so) checking size changes many times a second to be "responsive" (i.e. thinking people would want real-time changes to layout when they change the window-size or screen orientation). So yes, a lot of that can be distilled down to "mobile".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-01-12, 20:50

Off-topic:
back2themoon wrote:
2024-01-12, 12:53
Not Pale Moon-specific.
If PowerDirector is the reason for being on those forums, I want to give a shout out to Shotcut which "is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor" which I use for all my video editing needs.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-12, 21:54

Off-topic:
suzyne wrote:
2024-01-12, 20:50
If PowerDirector is the reason for being on those forums, I want to give a shout out to Shotcut which "is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor" which I use for all my video editing needs.
Thanks for the suggestion. Never used Cyberlink software for video editing, but I've edited in the past with Premiere and TMPGEnc software. I've heard of Shotcut but never used it. It's nice there's an advanced, free video editor available. I wonder how it compares.