replacing profile, and Pale Moon for more strictly UNIX-like OS?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

replacing profile, and Pale Moon for more strictly UNIX-like OS?

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-01-07, 01:29

I was told replace corrupt profile but then that some parts need not be replaced. So, what's the full list out of the following parts, to replace or okay to keep?

extensions
themes
bookmarks json
bookmarks html
preferences
cookies
userChrome
usernames & passwords
search plugins (I know you can keep this)
browser history
form fill history
permissions

Thanks for making Pale Moon for FreeBSD UNIX. I also talked to the Pale Moon for Slackware GNU/Linux maintainer in recent weeks and he's updating it. Also the advanced editor 'list' button doesn't seem to do much (if works some other way feel free to change above to bulleted list or explain).

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: replacing profile, and Pale Moon for more strictly UNIX-like OS?

Unread post by therube » 2024-02-19, 19:23

(Backup first.)

A start...

Know where your Profile folder is & what is in it.

How do you know your Profile was corrupt?

Extensions & themes are installed.
So you have copies of your extensions & themes?

Settings thereof are often stored in pref.js.
Some extensions may have an Export function to export your settings? (And maybe an import to import them anew?)

For items stored in places.sqlite, you may be able to wholesale copy old places.sqlite overtop new (with browser closed). If places.sqlite happened to be corrupted ? you might be able to fix it ? or you might be able to export various parts (in various ways), or you may (already) have backups of bookmarks (in /bookmarkbackups/) that may be viable.

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-02-20, 02:30

When Pale Moon had a survey what people want to use it most for, and 'old addons/extensions/plugins' lost to #2, old ones were briefly blocked. I switched back to older version, and when they were no longer blocked, I upgraded. I'm told doing this corrupts the profile.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-20, 02:43

dchmelik wrote:
2024-02-20, 02:30
I'm told doing this corrupts the profile.
Correct, if you ever plan on going back to an older version, exit the browser and backup your profile first before upgrading. Profiles get upgraded with newer versions and will break at worst or be unpredictable at best if you try to go back.
At any rate there is no need for all this with regular updates, milestone upgrades (where the major version increases, such as 32-33) are more likely to introduce major changes that may necessitate this strategy.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-03-29, 02:24

The thing is, I can't backup my profile because it's already corrupt--I just need to know what I can save from it instead of spending days/weeks/months/years restarting/recovering.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-29, 02:31

you can keep the bookmarks html, user names and passwords (unless it is influenced by your corruption). It's not recommended to bring prefs, cookies, history, permissions or userchrome across.
Start with that first then re-install extensions and themes (carefully) once confirmed working as it should. UserChrome could also potentially be reinstated BUT it depends a lot on what you've used it for and how big/complex it is.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-03-29, 04:44

dchmelik wrote:
2024-01-07, 01:29
extensions
Usually extensions are easy enough to copy without too much trouble and at worst, you can just move them to your download folder and install them manually. However mixing most of the other stuff has caused me only problems.

Done this a few times with my current web browser which is also uxp based.

I don't know if you have built it from source, or if you even could if I gave you the patches, instructions etc... due to operating system specifics

But anywho, this is all besides the point.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2024-03-31, 02:08

Thanks! Saves much work, as my 100+ bookmarks/RSS would've taken hours/days to restore. My usernames and/or at least passwords for some reason don't update/save anymore so I'll start those over. I don't know I even set any UserChrome; just listed in old FEBE I still activate sometimes to save profiles.