Best way to update from win7 to win10?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Best way to update from win7 to win10?

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-12-24, 20:11

Seeking advice,Tips,Tricks, and Any links that might be of help on updating from Win7 pro to Win10 (please no youtube vids as I have banned yt from my views).
-I would rather not have to update to Win11 if possible
-I would also like to eventually dual boot with a Linux distro, is that possible? (yes I think)
-Would it be possible to dual boot win10 and win7? (likely not I think)
Will my "Legacy" programs still work? ie; Photoshop6, Cinema4D, Starry Night Backyard, Winamp,etc in Win10?

Also, will my older 'original' games (not Steam versions) that still work on Win7 like; Carmageddon2, IL-2 Sturmovic, and too many more to list.(I Had to use Win-XP compatibility in win7 for most of these to work so not expecting much)

I am mainly considering updating because Steam (of which I have 5 games from) will require users to have at least win10 very soon :(

And also, in some twisted way, I would like to see just how bad (or not) it really is in comparison.

Luckily I have 2 Pc's so I'm thinking of using my newest build:
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case-Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply-PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive -Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB Video Card. "Or" MSI VENTUS XS OC GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Samsung Electronics MZ-7PD128BW 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA 6Gbps SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Monitor-LG 32MA70HY-P 32" "Or" Vizio 42"
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Air Cooler, Silencio FP120 Fan
As it was, this mobo did not support win7, and I had to jump a few hoops to get it working with win7, but it does support win10.
I also (luckily or not) downloaded at the time, a win10 Installer... Will it work? or is there a better one than this?:
Win-10.jpg
And I will keep my other older PC (2013) i5 Win7 box as backup, just in case (you know)

I am asking this here because from my lurking I have seen that most users here know what they're doing (Technically skilled)
And it's not that I am not, but I recently had an injury (won't go into details) and due to the injury, my personal short term memory
retention is almost zilch (I can lose a recent memory within seconds) and my "Focus" on any given subject has also suffered immensely.

Normally I would just search the web and figure it out, but now when I do, I always forget what the heck I am doing after a minute at most...very, very frustrating.

So in essence I am thinking I would selectively copy and paste from here all relevant/useful feedback to a single or two pages and print out a hard copy of the procedure to follow checking each one off as I go...That's the plan anyways :roll:

And since I visit here @ the forum a lot, I know where this info is, and won't (hopefully) lose it.
Thank you all! :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Best way to update from win7 to win10?

Unread post by doofy » 2023-12-24, 20:56

I have dual booted 7 and 10, so yeah its possible.

No saying if your legacy programs will work or not - suck it and see.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-24, 21:01

My current boot drive has Win 7 and Win 10 in multi-boot. No problem at all, just make sure you dedicate one partition to each.

As for updating... you should be able to update Windows 7 to 10 straight up. No longer for free like before but get yourself a cheap retail key and you should be just fine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-25, 02:40

THX-1139 wrote:
2023-12-24, 20:11
Seeking advice,Tips,Tricks, and Any links that might be of help on updating from Win7 pro to Win10 (please no youtube vids as I have banned yt from my views).
-I would rather not have to update to Win11 if possible
The easiest way to make sure you don't get updated to Windows 11 by accident is to disable fTPM support and Secure Boot in the BIOS. Disabling that helps a lot with dual-booting anyway, but Windows will then think your PC doesn't meet the requirements for Windows 11 and simply won't give it to you.
-I would also like to eventually dual boot with a Linux distro, is that possible? (yes I think)
Yes, but you want to install Windows first. Linux distros are setup to make dual-booting with Windows possible, but installing Windows after the Linux distro is problematic.
-Would it be possible to dual boot win10 and win7? (likely not I think)
Actually, I think it is possible to do this and get a Windows Boot Manager to let you pick which version of Windows you want to boot into. I believe I have seen people at such a screen choosing whether they want Windows 7 or Windows 10. The Windows Boot Manager doesn't support Linux, but it does support the last few versions of Windows usually.
Will my "Legacy" programs still work? ie; Photoshop6, Cinema4D, Starry Night Backyard, Winamp,etc in Win10?
Mostly yes, but you may have to run them in compatibility mode and occasionally look up tips or tricks to get them working 100% correctly. The compatibility issues of Windows 10 are way overblown, IMO.
Also, will my older 'original' games (not Steam versions) that still work on Win7 like; Carmageddon2, IL-2 Sturmovic, and too many more to list.(I Had to use Win-XP compatibility in win7 for most of these to work so not expecting much)
It's quite possible they will. I've seen games from 1995 work on Windows 10. It really depends on how much you're willing to fiddle with it to get it working, hunting around for missing DLLs and messing with compatibility mode configurations, etc. I imagine there are edge cases where something genuinely just won't work on Windows 10, but mostly it's overblown by impatient people who just want everything to work as well as it did in Windows 7 with no fiddling.
I am mainly considering updating because Steam (of which I have 5 games from) will require users to have at least win10 very soon :(
Yeah, that's one big reason why I was warning people off of staying on Windows 7... I know a lot of the people on Windows 7 are gamers, and that they rely on Steam. Steam doesn't have the best track record with supporting older operating systems long past EOL.
And also, in some twisted way, I would like to see just how bad (or not) it really is in comparison.
It's actually pretty much the same as Windows 7 under the hood. The main difference is you don't have Aero, and also a lot of the traditional control panel stuff is in different places. There's also a Windows Store and a lot of options to use a Microsoft account and integrate with OneDrive, which a lot of Windows 7 users hate. While Windows 10 does contain telemetry and some privacy advocates have legitimate concerns about that, Windows 10 does not have a "keylogger."
[/quote]
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-12-25, 05:58

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-25, 02:40
THX-1139 wrote:
I would also like to eventually dual boot with a Linux distro, is that possible? (yes I think)
Yes, but you want to install Windows first. Linux distros are setup to make dual-booting with Windows possible, but installing Windows after the Linux distro is problematic.
There is a better and easier way since the laptop way is the harder way.

If someone is using a laptop with one hard drive in it and wants to dual boot Windows and a Linux distro, the hard drive must be partitioned for both Windows and Linux and that is a royal PITA (in my opinion) so I am in agreement there. Because with new laptops built in the last few years; getting to the hard drive, memory slots and the the wifi card, one must take apart a laptop computer.

But if someone is using a desktop tower computer with a multiple hard drive bay, it is quite easy and I will use me as an example. And no PITA either. This desktop tower I am using has a three hard drive bay in it. Take off the side panel on a tower computer and you're inside the case.

At one time two hard drives ran linux Mint and the third hard drive was running Windows 7. Just keep in mind last year I installed a new motherboard in this tower which now has UEFI/BIOS.

If I wanted to run Windows 10 (which I never will and never 11 either), all I would need is a flash/thumb drive with the Windows 10 iso burned onto it. Then I would install a third new hard drive in the third hard drive slot in the bay. Then hook up the power and the sata cable to the new hard drive.

Then I would disconnect the power to both linux hard drives. I would not need to unhook the sata cable to these drives. Then I would stick the flash/thumb drive into a usb port.

When the power to the tower is turned on, on this tower I will immediately start tapping my F11 key which brings up the Boot Menu. The Boot Menu will only see two things (hard drive wise), the new hard drive and the usb flash/thumb drive. It "cannot" see the two linux hard drives because there is no power to those drives.

I would arrow down to the usb drive, then click Enter. Then the computer would boot to the desktop where I would choose and run the Windows 10 installer.

Once Windows 10 is installed on the third hard drive, I would turn off the power to the tower computer and then hook the power back up to the two linux hard drives. Then I would turn the power back on to the tower and immediately start tapping my F11 key and when the Boot Menu shows up, it will see "all" three hard drives.

Then I would arrow to the newly installed Windows 10 drive, hit my Enter key and Windows 10 will boot to the Desktop.

And the above is why I prefer desktop tower computers to laptop computers because getting inside a desktop tower is easy. Getting inside a laptop is a lot of work. So dual booting Windows and a Linux distro is easier to do with a desktop tower computer (in my opinion).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-25, 07:51

Night Wing wrote:
2023-12-25, 05:58
There is a better and easier way since the laptop way is the harder way.

If someone is using a laptop with one hard drive in it and wants to dual boot Windows and a Linux distro, the hard drive must be partitioned for both Windows and Linux and that is a royal PITA (in my opinion) so I am in agreement there. Because with new laptops built in the last few years; getting to the hard drive, memory slots and the the wifi card, one must take apart a laptop computer.

But if someone is using a desktop tower computer with a multiple hard drive bay, it is quite easy and I will use me as an example. And no PITA either. This desktop tower I am using has a three hard drive bay in it. Take off the side panel on a tower computer and you're inside the case.
Actually, that's how I usually do it myself... I install Windows and Solaris on separate physical hard drives so that I don't have to deal with partitioning, and use the BIOS menu to switch between them. I just assume most people wouldn't be willing to pay for an extra hard drive to avoid the headache, because I never hear anyone else talking about doing this. But seriously, computers come with at minimum 4 SATA ports and often a couple of M.2 slots as well... adding additional drives to your computer is a great way around partitioning.

I never really thought about laptops being the reason why most people don't do this, though... I thought it was more about either wanting to run RAID arrays (so that multiple hard drives are used as a single logical drive) or simply not having an extra hard drive handy.

Part of the reason why I prefer this approach, is because I once got into a fight with a GRUB developer over something really dumb... I was trying to create an RPM package for GRUB 2 on Mageia at the time, because their current version of it wasn't working well enough for RAID arrays (I was running two hard drives in RAID at the time and their old GRUB 1.x couldn't handle that), and I got yelled at for pasting a three-line error message in the chat and not using pastebin, with the developer trying and failing to ban me because he forgot how to elevate himself to admin in IRC, and I wound up leaving on my own because I didn't particularly want to be around him with him pouting, refusing to help me, and telling me I was "lucky" he couldn't ban me.

Eventually I just gave up on GRUB and relied on having Windows and Linux on separate physical hard drives. And which helped me refine the same approach I take with Windows 10 and Solaris to this day.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-12-25, 15:22

@ athenian200

Laptops built now are really not designed to be easily gotten into to replace hard drives, wifi cards, memory, etc. They are extremely difficult to get into. Many new laptops I've seen do "not" come with an ethernet port either. That is just plain stupid in my opinion. When installing a new operating system to a hard drive for a laptop, an ethernet cable is way faster than any wifi signal.

And if someone is using one hard drive and partitions it to run two different operating systems (Windows 10 and Windows 11 or Windows 10/11 and a linux distro); if the hard drive fails, then one must reload "two" operating systems onto the new hard drive. Then configure both operating systems to one's liking, then deal with configuring their browsers if they use more than one browser. Very time consuming.

I have two old HP laptops. One is a 14" Pavilion dv4-5113cl model and a 14" Envy dv4-5213cl model. They both look exactly alike. The "51" came with Windows 7 and the "52" came with Windows 8. Both laptops came with an Intel i5 processor in it with a processor speed of 2.50, 16 GB of DDR3 memory, a Beats audio system, a DVD drive, 1 ethernet port, 3 USB ports, 1 HDMI port, 1 VGA port, 1 headphone port and 1 microphone port.

Whoever designed these two models, they knew what they were doing because they designed these two models to make it very easy to get inside the laptop.

On the backside of these two laptops, I slide a black button to the left and it pops up the long battery along with a plastic panel which exposes the hard drive, sata cable and the two memory slots.

What is also exposed is one tiny screw. Unscrewing that and another plastic panel can be removed which reveals the wifi card and the cmos battery for the motherboard.

This is why I have two SSD hard drives for each laptop. So if the hard drive fails in either of the laptops, all I have to do is take three minutes of time to take out the failed hard drive and replace it with it's "spare tire" hard drive which gets updated once every two weeks since the spare tire hard drives reside in a drawer.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2023-12-25, 17:15, edited 4 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-12-25, 16:28

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-25, 02:40
THX-1139 wrote:
The easiest way to make sure you don't get updated to Windows 11 by accident is to disable fTPM support and Secure Boot in the BIOS. Disabling that helps a lot with dual-booting anyway, but Windows will then think your PC doesn't meet the requirements for Windows 11 and simply won't give it to you.
Thanks for that "heads up"...Is there no way to pick and choose which updates you want? like with win7
Windows 1st and Linux 2nd has always been my assumption regarding dual boot
Actually, I think it is possible to do this and get a Windows Boot Manager to let you pick which version of Windows you want to boot into. I believe I have seen people at such a screen choosing whether they want Windows 7 or Windows 10. The Windows Boot Manager doesn't support Linux, but it does support the last few versions of Windows usually.
Interesting, I wonder if I should Keep my win7 install as is and create a new partition and install a fresh win10 on it, Or would be better to install win 10 over the win7? (the 1st sounds better 2me)
Mostly yes, but you may have to run them in compatibility mode and occasionally look up tips or tricks to get them working 100% correctly. The compatibility issues of Windows 10 are way overblown, IMO.
Compatibility mode? I did not know that win10 had it, TY!
It's quite possible they will. I've seen games from 1995 work on Windows 10. It really depends on how much you're willing to fiddle with it to get it working, hunting around for missing DLLs and messing with compatibility mode configurations, etc. I imagine there are edge cases where something genuinely just won't work on Windows 10, but mostly it's overblown by impatient people who just want everything to work as well as it did in Windows 7 with no fiddling.
That's good to know, and when I first started using win7 I had to do the same thing; DLL's etc.
Yeah, that's one big reason why I was warning people off of staying on Windows 7... I know a lot of the people on Windows 7 are gamers, and that they rely on Steam. Steam doesn't have the best track record with supporting older operating systems long past EOL.
Yeah, when I bought the steam games I knew I was making a mistake (not a physical copy) and was at their whim whatever the changes :lol:

It's actually pretty much the same as Windows 7 under the hood. The main difference is you don't have Aero, and also a lot of the traditional control panel stuff is in different places. There's also a Windows Store and a lot of options to use a Microsoft account and integrate with OneDrive, which a lot of Windows 7 users hate. While Windows 10 does contain telemetry and some privacy advocates have legitimate concerns about that, Windows 10 does not have a "keylogger."
Do you have any thoughts about win10pro as opposed to the Home edition? Personally all my PC's are using the win7pro (even if they came with the standard installed) I just never liked the Home editions.
And any ideas about that installer I have? should/could I use it and then buy a pro version key online and then update to pro? or wait and do it from the pro key I buy? most of my past PC's started out using Home edition then I updated to pro and all was well...The same maybe for win10?

Thanks for the input, it gives me a better idea of it overall. :thumbup:
*My apologies if my "Quoting" form is wrong or weird- it looks weird in the preview to me, but then I have always had problems with the quoting stuff. (my problem)
Confuses TF outta me :coffee:
Edit: Attempting to fix my quotes (only partially it seems)...I will work on that.
Last edited by THX-1139 on 2023-12-25, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-25, 19:03

THX-1139 wrote:
2023-12-25, 16:28
Thanks for that "heads up"...Is there no way to pick and choose which updates you want? like with win7
Well, you can, but sometimes the system updates automatically and you don't see which updates it picked if you don't stay on top of it yourself. Generally major updates like Windows 11 aren't just automatic, but I figure it's best to play it safe. During Windows 10's lifecycle, what people were constantly complaining about were these big feature updates that would break things if you weren't careful to select the right update channel (saying you wanted to be on an SAC channel instead of testing all the major updates as soon as they came out). That is to say, you got a choice, but you had to be a bit more proactive to exercise it. Though really the feature updates never broke anything for me, I never had a very "fiddly" setup where things were likely to break.

At this point, though, 22H2 is the last release of Windows 10, so you don't have to worry very much... Windows 10 is stable and isn't going to change very much from here on out. You're upgrading so late in the lifecycle that you missed out on all the opportunities Microsoft would have to bust it with a feature update. LOL. Not that it ever gave me a lot of trouble, and I ran it from 2015 to the current day on an Ivy Bridge machine built in 2012, apparently the oldest officially supported.
Interesting, I wonder if I should Keep my win7 install as is and create a new partition and install a fresh win10 on it, Or would be better to install win 10 over the win7? (the 1st sounds better 2me)
If you want to keep Windows 7 and you're only using Windows 10 for games, then definitely keep your Windows 7 partition intact and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Installing Windows 10 over Windows 7 only makes sense if you want to replace Windows 7. Though really, you won't have to worry about Windows 10 updates aside from security updates anymore at this point, and the ability to "schedule an update time" has been implemented long ago, so if you're only staying on Windows 7 to have more control over updates, that shouldn't really be necessary.
Compatibility mode? I did not know that win10 had it, TY!
Yeah, most Windows 7 features are still there in Windows 10, just sometimes under a Metro coat of paint that a lot of people think is ugly, and alongside stuff they don't care for. That part isn't something the detractors talk about... also, if your game supports DirectX 12, you finally can take advantage of that now (your old 1050Ti supported it since launch, as did your 1660). Windows 7 didn't support it, and there are a lot more games that take advantage of it now than there were before the PS5 launch and Windows 7 EOL.
That's good to know, and when I first started using win7 I had to do the same thing; DLL's etc.
Yeah, Windows upgrades have always been a pain. I remember having to mess with stuff like that when I upgraded from 98 to XP, and seeing a lot of things I didn't like... I dual-booted Windows 98 with KernelEx and Windows XP for the longest time, until I upgraded my RAM past 512MB and Windows 98 couldn't handle it... plus it seemed to crash a lot more, despite working better with my old stuff.
Yeah, when I bought the steam games I knew I was making a mistake (not a physical copy) and was at their whim whatever the changes :lol:
I would recommend buying older games that you think might work better on Windows 7, via GOG or something from now on. They sell DRM-free games that you'll always be able to install on an older OS, even if you lose access to their launcher. Not all games are listed, of course, but it's worth considering. With Steam you'll always be on the Microsoft treadmill... Steam is actually run by a former Microsoft employee, and it even supported the use of Windows Phone for Steam Guard (I actually used that), so I imagine they still have some kind of ties.
Do you have any thoughts about win10pro as opposed to the Home edition? Personally all my PC's are using the win7pro (even if they came with the standard installed) I just never liked the Home editions.
And any ideas about that installer I have? should/could I use it and then buy a pro version key online and then update to pro? or wait and do it from the pro key I buy? most of my past PC's started out using Home edition then I updated to pro and all was well...The same maybe for win10?
Windows 10 Home is really gimped, perhaps worse than even Windows 7 Home Edition. The Pro edition is better... but at this point if you're asking me to recommend an edition for someone upgrading from Windows 7 in 2023, I might actually have to steer you towards trying out Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021, if you can manage to buy a key for it legitimately. That version will be supported until 2027 (avoid LTSC 2019, it's based on an exceptionally crappy release of Windows 10). If you buy Windows 10 Pro, it will only be supported until October 2025, and if you're lucky, you'll wind up buying ESUs to keep getting security updates through 2028 (I've heard a lot of rumors that Microsoft is apparently extending the program to individuals with valid Pro licenses for Windows 10 EOL, after piloting it with enterprises on Windows 7) On the other hand, If you were fine running Windows 7 without updates, then it's quite possible you'll be able to do the same with Windows 10, in which case it doesn't matter and you can go with Pro, run Windows 10 for a year or two without support like you may have done with Windows 7. Just try not to become one of those people who do nothing but hack up old versions of Windows and run unsigned Chinese/Russian drivers for 20-year-old software on modern hardware... LOL.
Thanks for the input, it gives me a better idea of it overall. :thumbup:
*My apologies if my "Quoting" form is wrong or weird- it looks weird in the preview to me, but then I have always had problems with the quoting stuff. (my problem)
Confuses TF outta me :coffee:
No problem. For future reference, quotes can be nested. On this board, they rely on bbtags, which are a sort of pseudo-HTML code.

Code: Select all

[quote]This text will render as a quote.[/quote]

[quote]This is the first layer of a two-layer quote.
[quote]This is the second layer.[/quote]
[/quote]

Example:

This text will render as a quote.
This is the first layer of a two-layer quote.
This is the second layer.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-12-26, 01:15

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-25, 19:03
[quote
Windows 10 Home is really gimped, perhaps worse than even Windows 7 Home Edition. The Pro edition is better... but at this point if you're asking me to recommend an edition for someone upgrading from Windows 7 in 2023, I might actually have to steer you towards trying out Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021, if you can manage to buy a key for it legitimately. That version will be supported until 2027 (avoid LTSC 2019, it's based on an exceptionally crappy release of Windows 10). If you buy Windows 10 Pro, it will only be supported until October 2025, and if you're lucky, you'll wind up buying ESUs to keep getting security updates through 2028 (I've heard a lot of rumors that Microsoft is apparently extending the program to individuals with valid Pro licenses for Windows 10 EOL, after piloting it with enterprises on Windows 7) On the other hand, If you were fine running Windows 7 without updates, then it's quite possible you'll be able to do the same with Windows 10, in which case it doesn't matter and you can go with Pro, run Windows 10 for a year or two without support like you may have done with Windows 7. Just try not to become one of those people who do nothing but hack up old versions of Windows and run unsigned Chinese/Russian drivers for 20-year-old software on modern hardware... LOL.
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 would probably be a good option, however, as it is I did a search for any win10 OS and found little if anything, except it seems I need a key for anything, even just starting off like with the installer I have, I would have to purchase the rest of any OS win10 or 11 direct from MS (around $139.00 from what I've read), at least that is what I found searching on the subject...IDK, I think I will have to search more on this.
And my win7 install has been updated manually, up until the telemetry stuff and other things I did not want.
It's messed up I couldn't update when it was free, but from what I remember, I was very Ill at the time, and in no shape to even think about it then, only just recently have I been well enough to even think or inquire about it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-26, 10:29

THX-1139 wrote:
2023-12-26, 01:15
Windows 10 Home is really gimped
I agree, but that's the case for most Home versions of Windows (and always has been). If you want a decent experience and want to use it for more than just an "app launcher" then you should always get the Pro versions of Windows.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-12-26, 15:03

Okay, I think I may have a solution, even IF temporary: That MS installer I have was made back in 2019 via the official MS site using their tools and my 7pro box, maybe I was thinking I may need a win 10 installer just in case? (can't remember) The size is significant to me (almost 5gigs compressed) so I'm thinking of just using that and see what happens...I have 100gigs of free space on the C: drive of the new box, it would not take too long for me to create a new partition and then see what it does.

My only other idea (for now) if the 1st does not work out is: It turns out I do have hard copies (disks) for 5 of those games ( I had forgotten I had these, had to dust them off) They are older originals (not updated) but they should still work fine.
the other 2? I will lose I never played (they were on sale at the time) so no great loss.

And Thanks so much @Athenian for answering of my questions about usability of win10 overall. :thumbup:

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2023-12-27, 18:13

When I did a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on my main laptop the biggest problem was obtaining compatible drivers, so worth looking into this. In fact I still haven't got Bluetooth working, but that's not crucial.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...