When I go to an Instagram page with video or Facebook I get endless pop ups from Internet Download Manager

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

When I go to an Instagram page with video or Facebook I get endless pop ups from Internet Download Manager

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2023-11-13, 05:01

Ever since I updated to the latest version of Pale Moon, I get endless pop ups from Internet Download Manager, on Instagram and Facebook. Is there a setting I can change or adjust to prevent that from happening? It only happens on those sites. I'd really like to stop that from happening. It never happened before with Instagram.

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: When I go to an Instagram page with video or Facebook I get endless pop ups from Internet Download Manager

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2023-11-29, 15:02

This morning I updated to the latest version. However, I was still getting a mess of download dialogue boxes from IDM, instead of the little download option over videos on Instagram.
Last edited by Lexx Diamond on 2023-11-29, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: When I go to an Instagram page with video or Facebook I get endless pop ups from Internet Download Manager

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-29, 15:04

You'd probably have more luck asking for help on the IDM side of things. I certainly don't have the first idea what IDM setting would have to be changed, if any.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2023-11-29, 15:20

Here is a short video of what it looks like. Screen recorder didn't capture the dialogue boxes so I used my phone. Albeit the video is upside the phenomenon can be observed in occurrence. I'll go ask over at IDM.

https://sendvid.com/w03el1bp

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-29, 23:01

IDM is obviously intercepting requests that should just be handled by the browser. We can't do anything about that on this end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2023-12-03, 01:10

Moonchild wrote:
2023-11-29, 23:01
IDM is obviously intercepting requests that should just be handled by the browser. We can't do anything about that on this end.
Hey man, thanks for the response. I did as you recommend and reached out to IDM. They showed me how to block IDM interactions with Instagram. However, now I can't use IDM on Instagram. So for anyone in the know. I would love to know what changed between version 32.4.1 & version 32.5/32.5.1 that could make the IDM download box pop up immediately and repeatedly on Instagram? The download bubble Image I would normally click to bring up the download box Image doesn't show anymore.

Also the change took place during a period when IDM had not released any updates. The only program I updated was Palemoon. Also, since then IDM has released two updates and versions 32.5 & 32.5.1 are the only versions of Palemoon with which the issue arises. So if there is anyone out there who knows how I can resolve the issue. I would really appreciate it. Thank you all for your time and patience. Below is an example of .gif files I make from IG videos.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-12-04, 23:49

Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-12-03, 01:10
Also the change took place during a period when IDM had not released any updates. The only program I updated was Palemoon. Also, since then IDM has released two updates and versions 32.5 & 32.5.1 are the only versions of Palemoon with which the issue arises.
Have you practically tested earlier versions of Pale Moon, or are these just your conclusions? Perhaps the problem arose due to site updates? Suppose, previously, the site transmitted videos in the form of one large file, and now it began to transmit them in small chunks. Then naturally, IDM will offer a separate download for each chunk. And by the way, in your screenshot I see the file size is 2.54MB, it looks more like a fragment rather than a full video (although, I don't know, maybe the video is 10 seconds long?).

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2023-12-05, 06:06

I'm no IDM user, but it could be possible to exclude content in its options:

https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com ... deo14.html

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2023-12-11, 15:59

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-12-04, 23:49
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-12-03, 01:10
Also the change took place during a period when IDM had not released any updates. The only program I updated was Palemoon. Also, since then IDM has released two updates and versions 32.5 & 32.5.1 are the only versions of Palemoon with which the issue arises.
Have you practically tested earlier versions of Pale Moon, or are these just your conclusions? Perhaps the problem arose due to site updates? Suppose, previously, the site transmitted videos in the form of one large file, and now it began to transmit them in small chunks. Then naturally, IDM will offer a separate download for each chunk. And by the way, in your screenshot I see the file size is 2.54MB, it looks more like a fragment rather than a full video (although, I don't know, maybe the video is 10 seconds long?).
Yes, IDM works with Instagram on Palemoon version 32.4.1 going back to version 29.1.1. Even with the recent updates from IDM. However, when the issue arose it was after Palemoon updated from 32.4.1 to 32.5 and newer. At that time IDM had not had an update. However, since then IDM has had an update and issue the remains the same. Blocking Instragram to resolve issue renders IDM useless on Instgram pages. Even downthemall won't grab the videos.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-12-11, 16:38

Forgive me for my importunity, but I still want to clarify. Did I understand correctly that now (today) IDM + PM 32.4.1 downloads videos normally?

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-12-11, 17:16

Does IDM behave normally when downloading videos on this page when using the latest version of Pale Moon?
https://about.instagram.com/blog/announ ... -ice-spice

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2023-12-22, 05:49

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-12-11, 16:38
Forgive me for my importunity, but I still want to clarify. Did I understand correctly that now (today) IDM + PM 32.4.1 downloads videos normally?
Yes. Have you been experienced a similar occurrence with the latest update?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-12-27, 17:18

What version of IDM?

Does IDM have an extension part for PM?
Or is IDM totally separate from (any) browser?

Is this IDM?

---
Off-topic:
a short video of what it looks like
On my end, I had to both Flip & Mirror it to see it "correctly"?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-12-28, 00:12

therube wrote:
2023-12-27, 17:18
Does IDM have an extension part for PM? Or is IDM totally separate from (any) browser?
They do use extensions, and they do have one for Pale Moon. It's not that easy to find on their website as it should, but it's at the bottom of this support page.

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2024-01-16, 04:44

therube wrote:
What version of IDM?

Does IDM have an extension part for PM?
Or is IDM totally separate from (any) browser?

Is this IDM?

---
Off-topic:
a short video of what it looks like
On my end, I had to both Flip & Mirror it to see it "correctly"?
Yes there is an extension for Palemoon. I have the latest one installed.
back2themoon wrote:
2023-12-28, 00:12
therube wrote:
Does IDM have an extension part for PM? Or is IDM totally separate from (any) browser?
They do use extensions, and they do have one for Pale Moon. It's not that easy to find on their website as it should, but it's at the bottom of this support page.
I have the latest IDM extension for Palemoon, installed.

Lexx Diamond
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Lexx Diamond » 2024-03-22, 00:33

Am the only one having this issue with IDM and Instagram?