[Linux] Install or use as is

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
holatir427
New to the forum
New to the forum

[Linux] Install or use as is

Unread post by holatir427 » 2023-11-05, 09:14

Hi, I saw on their website how we don’t need to install palemoon onto the machine, but instead run it as is. However, I was wondering is it better to install it directly to the machine or just keep the file on the system to use?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: [Linux] Install or use as is

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-11-05, 13:08

@ holatir427

You never stated what operating system you are using so I am going to guess installing or not installing Pale Moon in Windows or Linux might be diffferent.

Anyhow, I have been using linux Pale Moon in many linux distros since January of 2014 when the browser was publicly released. I have never installed linux Pale Moon in any of the distros I played around with which included Debian, Manjaro, SolydXY, Linux Lite and Xubuntu.

In all of these distros, I downloaded the linux Pale Moon GTK2 tarball, extracted the Pale Moon folder and put the folder where I wanted to which is in my Documents folder (my preferred destination).

Then I right clicked on my linux Panel and added a launcher icon to my linux Panel. Right clicking on the launcher icon I clicked on Properties and followed the prompts. Then I made a path from the Pale Moon folder to the launcher icon. Since the launcher icon is very plain looking, I used the Image Files in the Pale Moon folder and overlayed the plain jane launcher icon with the 32 pixel Pale Moon logo. Then hit Create and closed the context window.

Then I clicked on the Pale Moon logo launcher icon and linux Pale Moon opened. Then I put my Bookmarks back and configured Pale Moon to my liking.

The path to the launcher icon is below. And this works for both linux Mint and MX Linux. BTW, all four of my computer names are named, "joe" (without the quote marks).

Code: Select all

/home/joe/Documents/palemoon/palemoon
Seems complicated but it really isn't. And one does not need to use the linux Terminal. But the above is probably going to be different if one is using the Windows operating system.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-11-05, 16:40

I'm on Linux (Devuan). I use the tarball downloaded off of Pale Moon's site. I extract the contents into my "Templates" folder, and have a quick launch icon on my panel to launch Pale Moon. For me, it's the best way to do it.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-11-05, 20:39

holatir427 wrote:
2023-11-05, 09:14
Hi, I saw on their website how we don’t need to install palemoon onto the machine, but instead run it as is.
Their website, whose ? I am not sure to understand the question. You mean using the Linux "install" command ?
I am using Pale Moon since ages on the work OpenSuse machine, and since several years on the home Ubuntu desktop and on an Ubuntu laptop. I always unpacked the tar ball in some area owned by my account. Then I made a soft-link from /usr/bin/palemoon to the executable and a few other soft links suggested in a page on the Pale Moon web site (of course these were made as root or using sudo).

Years ago I was wary about frequent updates to Pale Moon, but now I've changed my mind. On Ubuntu (I suppose because of the way it manages permissions for sudoers) I just click the update button (after I've made a tar backup of the installed version and of my profile. Works like a charm. On Suse the automatic updates says it has no permissions, so I retrieve the tar ball, make the backups and re-unpack. Just a bit more complex, but I copy the instructions I've stored.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-11-06, 08:22

"Installing" Pale Moon just means moving some files from one place to another.
It is perfectly fine to run it from anywhere; the only downside would be that you don't get certain specific integrations with the system, but those are important only if you use certain graphical environments or if you want Pale Moon to be reachable through the default value of the PATH environment variable.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2023-11-06, 08:27

I think "install" means from repos.
It is fine either way, config is same anyway, except repo versions have autoupdater disabled as that is handled by package manager.