Pale Moon Ad Blocking Using UBO Not Working On YouTube Anymore

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Pale Moon Ad Blocking Using UBO Not Working On YouTube Anymore

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-18, 11:47

I like to visit YouTube everyday to find videos pertaining mainly on surfing, music and sleep videos using Pale Moon. My main adblocker for YouTube is uBlock Origin (1.16.4.30). This morning it looks like this version of UBO is too old and can no longer block the ads on YT since YT is now throwing up a banner I cannot get around.

I had to switch over to Firefox to begin a search for any surfing videos on YT and uBlock Origin 1.52.2 still works (for now). The SeaLion browser can also block YT ads using uBlock Origin 1.16.4.8-libre (for now).

My question is; is anyone visiting YouTube using Pale Moon, can Adblock Latitude 5.0.9 still block those pesky ads which have nothing to do with the videos I watch on YT since AL says it is compatible with the 31 versions of Pale Moon since I am using version (32.4.1).

If AL can no longer block irrelevant ads on YT using Pale Moon, then I will have to switch over and use Firefox or SeaLion as long as they can block ads which have nothing remotely related to the videos I normally watch and search for.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon Ad Blocking Using UBO Not Working On YouTube Anymore

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-18, 11:52

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-18, 11:47
it looks like this version of UBO is too old and can no longer block the ads
Adblockers are as good as the filters and filter subscriptions they use, it has nothing to do with the extension itself. Blocking mechanisms haven't radically changed in this case. I'm yet to see a single ad or adblocker warning on Youtube, using uBlock Origin.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-18, 12:38

AFAIK the only adblocker that really works on YT is uBlock, but I have been seeing ads now and again, and am thinking Google are changing their attack vector as well
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-18, 13:22

I went back to YouTube after viewing the comments here. I looked at ten of my YouTube videos which I have marked as a bookmark/favorite and the banner keeps popping up for every one of them.

This banner does not have the "x" letter in the upper right corner of the banner as of today so the large banner can't be gotten rid of even if one refreshes the page. Since I last saw the letter "x" yesterday (Tuesday), this morning I think YouTube has changed "for the worst" for Pale Moon using UBO (1.16.4.30).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-18, 14:24

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-18, 13:22
Since I last saw the letter "x" yesterday (Tuesday), this morning I think YouTube has changed "for the worst" for Pale Moon using UBO (1.16.4.30).
Things might be better if uBlock can be updated, but am unsure about the technical deets on how uBlock exactly works in FF vs Pale Moon, which might be related to its efficacy on YT, but am just guessing here?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-18, 14:51

UBO 1.16.4.30 is not working for me anymore. I decided to see if Adblock Latitude 5.0.9 would block those irrelevant ads on YT. I disabled UBO, downloaded and installed ABL and went back to the videos YT was blocking. The result. ADL is working and I can view those blocked videos again. At least for now.

So until YT comes up with some coding to render ABL "toothless" to block those irrelevant ads on YT, I will stick with ABL for the time being.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-18, 16:04

Another way to bypass ads is to use the uTube extension, it works really well

https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/uTube/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-18, 16:59

fatboy wrote:
2023-10-18, 16:04
Another way to bypass ads is to use the uTube extension, it works really well

https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/uTube/
Thanks for the link. I looked at the extension's language. What caught my eye was the part that says;

"This lets videos load faster, hides comments, and often skips ads."

Saying it "often skips ads" is like saying, "it might work or not". Like I said in my last jpost before this post in this topic thread, I will ride with Adblock Latitude until Google writes some code where ABL will no longer work. If and/or when that happens, I've got one more arrow in my quiver to aim at YouTube. :twisted:

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-10-18, 18:56

:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2023-10-18, 23:05

The issue is known to affect other browsers as well. If you're seeing the ad banner in YouTube with any browser, the advice is to open the uBlock control panel, click "Purge all caches" in the filter list tab, then "Update Now". I'm not seeing it myself in YouTube which could mean my filters are up to date or I haven't been targeted yet. Time will tell.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-19, 01:19

Cassette wrote:
2023-10-18, 23:05
The issue is known to affect other browsers as well. If you're seeing the ad banner in YouTube with any browser, the advice is to open the uBlock control panel, click "Purge all caches" in the filter list tab, then "Update Now".
I've already done the above and it is not working anymore in UBO (1.16.4.30). I think I've been targeted early since I spend a lot of time on YouTube. Sooner or later, I think everyone using 1.16.4.30 will start seeing the announcement about adblockers on YT and our UBO will not be able to block the announcement anymore.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-10-19, 07:47

uBO 1.50 and later has a built-in filter list "Quick fixes" which uBO 1.16.4.30 lacks.
AFAIK this filter list contains the filter for YouTube.

I see no banner with Pale Moon and uBO legacy.
Maybe one has to be logged in to see the banner or I simply did not stumbled upon such a video since I watch YouTube rarely.

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2023-10-19, 08:25

gepus wrote:
2023-10-19, 07:47
uBO 1.50 and later has a built-in filter list "Quick fixes" which uBO 1.16.4.30 lacks.
AFAIK this filter list contains the filter for YouTube.
Indeed, that's the list you'll have to import to "Custom".

Code: Select all

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/master/filters/quick-fixes.txt
YouTube changes its code about twice a day, so you'll have to update said list often...
See also the sticky Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/about/sticky?num=2.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-19, 11:41

gepus wrote:
2023-10-19, 07:47
I see no banner with Pale Moon and uBO legacy.
Maybe one has to be logged in to see the banner or I simply did not stumbled upon such a video since I watch YouTube rarely.
I do not have a YouTube account so I'm never logged in. The announcement I see now rears it's ugly head about nine times out of ten times for me. I think if one doesn't use YouTube very much, this might be the reason you have not seen the banner announcement.

And as a foot note, I'm also now seeing this announcement banner while using Adblock Latitude on YouTube. Again, without a YouTube account so I'm never logged in.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-19, 11:45

nicolaasjan wrote:
2023-10-19, 08:25

YouTube changes its code about twice a day, so you'll have to update said list often...
See also the sticky Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/about/sticky?num=2.
Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can follow the instructions.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-10-19, 19:24

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-19, 11:41
I do not have a YouTube account so I'm never logged in.
If all you are doing is watching youtube videos and not logging in, you should be aware of yewtu.be:
https://yewtu.be/

It has all the youtube videos, but isn't associated with Google and doesn't have the ads. It's called a "redirect" site for youtube videos. Works well - I haven't had to go to the official youtube site in years.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-19, 21:26

andyprough wrote:
2023-10-19, 19:24

If all you are doing is watching youtube videos and not logging in, you should be aware of yewtu.be:
https://yewtu.be/

It has all the youtube videos, but isn't associated with Google and doesn't have the ads. It's called a "redirect" site for youtube videos. Works well - I haven't had to go to the official youtube site in years.
The problem with Invidious is in the quality video definition of the videos they offer. I'll explain.

I view all of my videos using my two desktop tower computers. Each desktop tower has the same graphics card in it which allows me to view YT videos in the highest definition quality wise.

Before I had my spinal surgery, I could no longer do my usual pop-up to stand up on my longboard from the prone (laying down) position to catch a wave to ride.

I had to copy Haley Otto's pop-up to continue surfing. I had to slow the video down to see "in detail" how she did her pop-up since it isn't the "normal" way of doing a pop-up.

In the YouTube video below, the video quality is 2160p60 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek

But the exact same video using Invidious is not sharp looking because it's highest video definition is only 720 HD.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek

You have to remember my eyesight is poor. I always look for the highest definition which I can see easily. Invidious is a substitute, but not a good substitute if one wants and needs to see videos in the highest definition their graphics card/chip will allow.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-10-19, 23:09

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-19, 21:26
In the YouTube video below, the video quality is 2160p60 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek

But the exact same video using Invidious is not sharp looking because it's highest video definition is only 720 HD.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek
If I want to see high def, I just use mpv:

Code: Select all

mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek
For that video, mpv plays it at "3840x2160 vaapi", which I would assume is your "2160p60 4k", or some close approximation to it. Once again, I've never seen any ads with mpv. Linux Mint should have mpv.

I've never seen someone walk forward on their board like Haley Otto - she's quite skilled!
Edit: I just haven't been watching surfer videos for a lot of years - I see that walking forward and backward on the board is all the rage these days. Very cool.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-20, 01:11

andyprough wrote:
2023-10-19, 23:09
I've never seen someone walk forward on their board like Haley Otto - she's quite skilled!
Edit: I just haven't been watching surfer videos for a lot of years - I see that walking forward and backward on the board is all the rage these days. Very cool.
Off-topic:
Haley's pop-up is more like a "step forward and up". Her modified pop-up and the one I copied, let me keep surfing until my L4 nerve in my right lower back got really sore and it said to me; "Enough! Go see a spinal surgeon and get this fixed or give up surfing"!!

So I listened to my right lower back and had the spinal surgery done on Nov 16th, 2022. The procedure was a "partial laminectomy over the L3, L4, L5 nerves". Four months and two weeks later on Apr 1st, 2023 I was surfing again.

There is another surfing video showing her modified pop-up "up close and in detail". There are seven close up shots in this video below. She is a "goofy footer" (right foot forward first). I am a "regular footer" (left foot forward first). She is a nose rider, but I do not nose ride.

This video is offered in 2160p50 4K. Watch it in full screen mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axk4kDD7T8Q

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-10-20, 01:21

Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-20, 01:11
This video is offered in 2160p50 4K. Watch it in full screen mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axk4kDD7T8Q
Wow! Toes on the nose. Amazing.