Pale Moon Ad Blocking Using UBO Not Working On YouTube Anymore

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon Ad Blocking Using UBO Not Working On YouTube Anymore

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-25, 19:31

back2themoon wrote:
2023-10-25, 19:25
Activating/deactivating other filter lists, can indeed decrease/increase the usage of filter rules in this list. I just confirmed it.
I see, so that means the main reasons between the difference between total numbers of 109, 149, 155 and 196 are because of the other active (or deactivated) filters.
That also explains why in my case, the used filters differ, but the total number doesn't because my other filter lists have not been altered (no other filter list has been deactivated, no deactivated filter list has been activated) between the other day and today.
yours truly, Rava

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-10-25, 19:35

It was a quick test and I'm not really sure if the total number of rules was affected, or the number of used rules. I think it was the latter.

You can try disabling your other filters, refresh and find out what is going on. It would make sense for the total number to never change, but who knows...? I'm not also not sure if we can really compare the total numbers of the two different versions. The newer one might work differently.

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-25, 20:27

back2themoon wrote:
2023-10-25, 19:35
It would make sense for the total number to never change, but who knows...?
It would make sense. But then how do you explain this:
Raava wrote:
nicolaasjan
Pale Moon Version?: total number of 149
Firefox Version?: total number of 155

andyprough
Pale Moon 32.4.1: total number of 109

Raava
Pale Moon 32.4.1: always total number of 196

It could be due to the individual update status of the filter list (="different 'version' of the filter list"), but the difference between the smallest total number of 109 and the largest total number of 196 is quite large.
yours truly, Rava

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-10-25, 20:43

Only Raymond Hill aka gorhill can probably answer that. :angel:

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-26, 03:48

back2themoon wrote:
2023-10-25, 20:43
Only Raymond Hill aka gorhill can probably answer that. :angel:
He was active on here, back in 03 Sep 2019 for the last time:
search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=g ... mit=Search
but looks like he is no longer an active member. :(
yours truly, Rava

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2023-10-26, 05:19

Raava wrote:
andyprough wrote:
2023-10-25, 17:25
nicolaasjan wrote:
2023-10-25, 16:44
Pale Moon:

Firefox:
I added the uBlock Quick Fix hosts file to eMatrix on Pale Moon 32.4.1 and got "41 used out of 109". For what it's worth.
Interesting how different the total number of filters are. I wonder why that is:

nicolaasjan
Pale Moon Version?: total number of 149
Firefox Version?: total number of 155

andyprough
Pale Moon 32.4.1: total number of 109

Raava
Pale Moon 32.4.1: always total number of 196

It could be due to the individual update status of the filter list (="different 'version' of the filter list"), but the difference between the smallest total number of 109 and the largest total number of 196 is quite large.
First of all, you must always update the "Quick fixes" list first on the browsers you want to compare.

The amount Raava got was on Oct. 24, while mine was the amount on Oct. 25 (the list is updated twice a day). ;)
The amount andyprough got was from the uBO Quick fix list imported as hosts file in eMatrix and that obviously only recognizes domain names (109 here atm).
Since youtube.com is in that list, the result will be that YT will be blocked entirely...
So don't just put filterlists in the HOSTS section of eMatrix. Only lists that contain just domain names go in there.
E.g.:

Code: Select all

https://malware-filter.gitlab.io/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter-hosts-online.txt
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-26, 07:46

nicolaasjan wrote:
2023-10-26, 05:19
The amount Raava got was on Oct. 24, while mine was the amount on Oct. 25 (the list is updated twice a day). ;)
I did it two times, and in my time zone one was Oct. 24, the other was on Oct. 25:
Raava wrote:
2023-10-24, 10:45

[✓] uBlock₀ filters – Quick fixes 153 used out of 196
Raava wrote:
2023-10-25, 19:16

[✓] uBlock₀ filters – Quick fixes  33 used out of 196
Both times the total is the same, the used differs.

But today I have it like so:

[✓] uBlock₀ filters – Quick fixes 66 used out of 149
yours truly, Rava

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-26, 12:49

I've been doing quite a bit of experimentation using YouTube with linux Pale Moon in both Mint and MX Linux . I have not installed the extension for blocking ads, but the extracted folder for the extension is sitting on my Desktop in Mint.

When I use linux Pale Moon, I've never used it with lots of extensions. I use one and that is uBlock Origin (1.16.4.30). A few days ago I started using another extension, Zoom Label. These are the only two extensions I now use in Pale Moon.

Getting back on topic. I do not have a YouTube account so I am never logged in.

Since Monday of this week; since I use the Menu Bar in Pale Moon, I clicked on the Tools button and when the context window opened up, I clicked on Permissions. When the Permissions page opened up, I clicked on the address for YouTube . When the permissions for YouTube were shown, I blocked the setting for "Open Pop-Up Windows"and then I blocked the setting for "Store Cookies and Site Data". Then I deleted all the cookies for YouTube. UBO was still enabled for YT.

Went to YouTube and I did not see the banner stating YT does not allow ad blockers. This is now Thursday as I type this post. I still have not seen the ad blocker banner and I have been all over YouTube like "ants on a sugar cube" searching for any new surfing videos, sleep sounds, etc.

So I am going to ride this horse for awhile and see if YT can get around what I've done with Pale Moon while enabling uBlock Origin for YT.

BTW, the little info at the top of the page for YT, it states I have visited YT for a total of (10,852) times.

As an addendum, if YT thinks I have to watch and "HEAR" their annoying, obnoxious and irrelevant ads for the video I plan to watch, I won't have to. When push comes to shove and the above no longer works, I will be disable UBO. Using the Speaker icon on my linux Panel in both Mint and in MX Linux. When the ads start to play, I will click on the Speaker icon and mute the sound for the ads. When the video eventually plays, I will turn the sound back on.

So in the end, YT really cannot win. YT will eventually learn they are beating a dead horse if users mute the sound for the ads.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-27, 04:10

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-26, 12:49
So in the end, YT really cannot win. YT will eventually learn they are beating a dead horse if users mute the sound for the ads.
Maybe they learn in 100 years, but for now they are greedy and they will change their code and site behaviour daily to make it harder for people to skip ads. And the creators of block lists e.g. for uBlock Origin will also update their lists, sometimes more than once a day even.

So users who do not care will see ads and make earn gøøgle and co. millions of bucks.
And others who are unwilling to do so have their peace of mind.
yours truly, Rava

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-10-27, 11:21

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-26, 12:49
BTW, the little info at the top of the page for YT, it states I have visited YT for a total of (10,852) times.
Sweet ;)

It would be interesting to know if you get the same info (10,852+) with a fresh profile as well.
Of course only if it is not too cumbersome for yo to create a fresh profile which you can delete after the test.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-27, 16:15

gepus wrote:
2023-10-27, 11:21
Sweet ;)

It would be interesting to know if you get the same info (10,852+) with a fresh profile as well.
Of course only if it is not too cumbersome for yo to create a fresh profile which you can delete after the test.
I am not on a fresh new profile. I just checked on YouTube under "Permissions" and it now says I visited YouTube a total of 10,954 times at the time of this posting. Pale Moon is blocking all the cookies for YouTube at this time.

On a side note. I've also blocked the cookies for YouTube using "Cookies & Site Data > "Manage Data" under "Privacy and Security" when using Firefox. But even with blocking YouTube cookies, if I visit YouTube using Firefox, YouTube puts their cookies back so the "Manage Data" either has a bug in it or it is by design.

Since Google pays Mozilla millions of dollars for allowing Google to be the default search engine in Firefox, I'm guessing Google probably put in a clause in that monetary contract where Firefox will not block YouTube cookies. Waterfox also does not block Youtube cookies when told to do so.

Side note number two.

The SeaLion browser also blocks YouTube cookies and pop-ups if told to and I have told SeaLion to do so using it's Cookie Manager and the Pop-up Manager.

As you can see, I'm trying to wrestle with YouTube's new ad blocker policy without using an extension.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-27, 17:01

@Night Wing
Have you used one of the test sites that can tell you if by the way your browser is configured the websites like göögle or failbook or any other can still identify you because they can extract unique characteristics?

All this is independent of any cookies.

I can look up one of these better test sites, I have it stored somewhere (but not in my Palemoon bookmarks) if you want, but probably others on here have such test sites available either from the top of their heads or because they stored these in bookmarks.
yours truly, Rava

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-27, 20:55

Raava wrote:
2023-10-27, 17:01
@Night Wing
Have you used one of the test sites that can tell you if by the way your browser is configured the websites like göögle or failbook or any other can still identify you because they can extract unique characteristics?

I can look up one of these better test sites, I have it stored somewhere (but not in my Palemoon bookmarks) if you want, but probably others on here have such test sites available either from the top of their heads or because they stored these in bookmarks.
I do not have any test ties that can tell me if Pale Moon is configured for their websites. If you have a link to one, pass it along to me. I would appreciate it.

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-28, 17:57

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-27, 20:55
If you have a link to one, pass it along to me. I would appreciate it.
I saved this info:
See how trackers view your browser
Test your browser to see how well you are protected from tracking and fingerprinting:
https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/
More info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_fingerprint
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_sniffing

HTH! :)
yours truly, Rava

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-29, 12:35

@ Raava

Thanks for the links. Lots of information on the main link.

I'm not trying to be anonymous on the internet. Just basically trying to keep the "YT ad barbarians at the gate" from annoying me with irrelevant ads.

As for tracking me. Whoever thinks I am worth tracking is going to be highly disappointed.

The main things I (pardon the pun) surf the internet for are things which have to do with surfing such as streaming webcams for looking at waves on the upper Texas coast, surfing forecasts (wind speed, wind direction, wave height, periods in seconds between waves, prone surfing longboards, standup paddleboarding (flat water and surfing), surfing equipment (leg leashes, surfing fins for my 9'3" longboard, surf wax, alternative to surf wax like cork), weather radar, weather forecasts for my home area and where I surf, archery "stuff", computer hardware, etc.

Basically I'm pretty boring for advertisers since most of my hobbies are "niche stuff" associated with the outdoors.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2023-11-21, 00:48

So, my father started getting an anti-adblock message from YouTube yesterday, and I didn't feel like looking up filters, so I just whitelisted YouTube for him for the moment.

Then I checked out gHacks today and found this article on how to fix slow-loading YouTube on browsers, and it provided a uBlock Origin script, so I gave it a try and it worked!
1) Activate the uBlock Origin icon in your browser.
2) Select the dashboard button to open the Preferences.
3) Switch to My Filters.
4) Paste the following line into the text field: www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)
5) Select "apply changes".

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-11-21, 22:12

Daikun wrote:
2023-11-21, 00:48
4) Paste the following line into the text field: www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)
Applied it, and it is still loading slowly (relatively speaking) but compared to the time the browser seems to freeze for minutes when I first load any random yt URL (=the time loading its crappy code to bother us with its cookies reminder to only me clicking "reject all" every time :coffee: ) it is a vast improvement. Image

Thanks Daikun and thanks ghacks.net :D

BTW, in the comments of slightly different custom filter is suggested:
The Option 2 could sometime cause a problem, which ended up showing a YT message telling you to connect to the internet after applying the loading fix. Replacing the custom filter with this will fix them (according to uBO team):
www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), 5000, 0.001)
yours truly, Rava

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-11-22, 13:34

Firefox slow to load YouTube? Just another front in Google's war on ad blockers, Search giant says delays not specific to any browser – just those evading advert breaks.
https://www.theregister.com/2023/11/21/ad_block_google/
Sounds like Wack a Mole time.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-11-22, 15:21

THX-1139 wrote:
2023-11-22, 13:34
Firefox slow to load YouTube? Just another front in Google's war on ad blockers, Search giant says delays not specific to any browser – just those evading advert breaks.
Off-topic:
I don't normally use Firefox when viewing YouTube videos. Anyhow, after reading your post, I switched on over to Firefox and visited some of the videos, seven of them, I have as bookmarks. They all loaded and rendered properly in about "one second" of time.

One of those videos is below. A guy from Bali surfing. I liked his pop-up when getting to his feet to stand up and surf a wave along with his foot work on his longboard. I watched it in 1080p HD and in full screen mode on my 32" monitor so I could see lots of details watching his pop-up and footwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBD1aVtSmJc

The desktop tower I watched this video on is a fast computer. It has a 12th generation Intel i7 chip in it with a processor speed of 3.60 and it is not overclocked. Combined with 32 GB of memory, an AMD Radeon graphics card, a download 925 Mbps speed from my ISP, I shouldn't be seeing any slowdowns using Firefox if and when I visit YouTube and I do not.

Since I do not have a YouTube account; in Firefox, I block YouTube cookies just like I do in Pale Moon which is what I use to visit YouTube on a daily basis. I do not use any scripts or any extensions to keep the "ad barbarians at the gate" so to speak.

When I visit YouTube, all of my four browsers have the uBlock Origin extension installed for each browser (Pale Moon, SeaLion, Waterfox, Firefox) and UBO is "enabled" for YouTube.

But if YouTube (Google) finds a way to unblock my cookies for YouTube and thinks I will have to "listen" to their irrelevant ads, I will just mute the sound on my speakers until their ads are over.

My go to browsers for watching YouTube videos are Pale Moon and SeaLion. For each of these browsers, I block YouTube cookies and pop-ups.

tellu-white
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tellu-white » 2023-12-01, 17:01

wicknix wrote:
2023-10-24, 05:17
With a little elbow grease i was able to make it compatible with SeaLion as well. Works well. Thanks.
An improved version that (also) has the option to set the "default" resolution ("right-click" on the button).

If the video on that page does not have that resolution among the options, youtube will automatically select the highest resolution available.

Download link ( YouTube Mobile for Desktop 7.0 ):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1hgbidm6 ... 0.zip/file
01.png
02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.