Oddities since early Oct 2023 Update

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
joyspring7
New to the forum
New to the forum

Oddities since early Oct 2023 Update

Unread post by joyspring7 » 2023-10-09, 11:44

I went through the recent update first week of October. Since then, on start up (opening Pale Moon) this is what I get.

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to palemoon.start.me, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

When I attempt to use Pale Moon browser to go where I normallly go (and have for 4 years) this is what I get.

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to palemoon.start.me, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified. Add Exception.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

If you understand what's going on, you can tell Pale Moon to start trusting this site's identification. Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.
What Should I Do?

login.wwdb.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

(Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Oddities since early Oct 2023 Update

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-09, 12:10

This is normally a indication that something on your system is intercepting all https connections. A regular occurrence of this is your antivirus/internet security software.
This is generally a bad idea, because it prevent you from verifying that connections outbound are actually secure. For more details about this see this FAQ entry.

There are two ways you can deal with this:
  • Exclude Pale Moon in your antivirus software for "web filtering" or what not, or, if that can't be controlled on a per-application basis in your antivirus, disable https/web filtering altogether.
  • Install the issuer certificate in Pale Moon's certificate store that allows the antivirus software's intercepted connections to work. This isn't recommended because you're implicitly offloading all SSL/TLS security checking to something that's not interactive and would blanket-approve the security of all websites. In addition, AV web filters have a pretty bad track record for their outbound connection security.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by f-117 » 2023-11-14, 16:16

I think I am having a similar problem...

I have been trying to access https://www.cybermodeler.com for the past two weeks, and I keep getting an error that says...

"www.cybermodeler.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported.
(Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER)
"

I have cleared my cache and tried the site in safe mode and still get the message. I even temporarily disabled my AV (avast) and my firewall. No luck. I also disabled my UBo. No luck.

There is nothing mentioned on their FB page either.

I contacted the website owner and was told there was no problem with the site certificate.

This is happening in Basilisk and Watewrfox as well. (Just for laughs, I tried it in IE and it does work)

Scott

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-11-14, 16:55

f-117 wrote:
2023-11-14, 16:16
I contacted the website owner and was told there was no problem with the site certificate.
There certainly is a problem with their certificate: the certificate chain is misconfigured. Show them this if they need further info:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... odeler.com
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by f-117 » 2023-11-14, 16:59

WOW! That's a lot of info to swallow....

I will forward the information and see what he says.

To be continued...

Scott

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-14, 17:51

f-117 wrote:
2023-11-14, 16:59
WOW! That's a lot of info to swallow....
The TL;DR of it is that they have set up their TLS (https) pretty decently, but they have an issue with their certificate installed in their web server. The webmaster should be able to solved this in 5 minutes if they have the required knowledge to run an https server ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite