United States takes on Google in biggest tech monopoly trial of 21st century

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

United States takes on Google in biggest tech monopoly trial of 21st century

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-09-13, 13:08

Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: United States takes on Google in biggest tech monopoly trial of 21st century

Unread post by distantpluto » 2023-09-13, 13:50

"People don't use Google because they have to — they use it because they want to," Kent Walker, one of Google's top lawyers and its president of global affairs, wrote in an emailed statement. "It's easy to switch your default search engine — we're long past the era of dial-up internet and CD-ROMs."
It's not because they want to, it's because they're apathetic, they don't know you can change it or they just think Google is the internet. I can't see this bothering Google even if they lose. It raises awareness at least.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: United States takes on Google in biggest tech monopoly trial of 21st century

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-09-13, 13:55

distantpluto wrote:
2023-09-13, 13:50
"People don't use Google because they have to — they use it because they want to," Kent Walker, one of Google's top lawyers and its president of global affairs, wrote in an emailed statement. "It's easy to switch your default search engine — we're long past the era of dial-up internet and CD-ROMs."
It's not because they want to, it's because they're apathetic, they don't know you can change it or they just think Google is the internet. I can't see this bothering Google even if they lose. It raises awareness at least.
I agree, but there are a lot of people who don't WANT to change it, they feel comfortable with all that Google does.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-13, 22:58

Unless the antitrust focus stops obsessing over the search engine and moves onto the defacto browser engine & web standards monopoly and Mozilla being controlled opposition - it won't affect Google in the least bit. As the lawyer said, switching to another search engine is trivial.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-09-14, 00:19

Yes, fixating on the search engine does sound like they are lagging behind at least 5-10 years already. I guess that's how massive trials and massively paid lawyers work.

So many interesting topics here today. On the forum for 2 hours at least... :coffee: