I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from Mozilla/UXP-related development

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from Mozilla/UXP-related development

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-08-06, 03:05

Just to clarify immediately to not sow confusion, I am not leaving Pale Moon. I love the project and I will still help from time-to-time, whether that'd be helping people on the support threads of the forum on my free time, or testing out pre-releases. So please don't worry about yet another community member leaving the project. :mrgreen:

That said, some of the eagle-eyed among you might see that I'm no longer very active in the forums and repo as I used to before... I'm afraid I will have to leave behind actively contributing code for UXP and Pale Moon indefinitely. This is due to two factors (none of which are the fault of Pale Moon btw). The first is decreasing motivation. I guess it's just a regular thing for me now every time I delve into a volunteer-based project. :P The recent improvements in web compatibility (please give your thanks to dbsoft and martok, they're the real MVPs!) also mean that there are less and less tasks on the repo I could take on which are within my ability and would be worth my while.

The second is less and less available time I can give. I've been spending more and more time on other tiny online communities (including building my own at https://raddle.me/f/touhou after the recent API controversy at Reddit made people look for alternatives, and I wanted to make one for people from r/touhou), and add also the fact that I will be taking 27 units(!!) this semester in my 3rd year in college...

Maybe I might contribute one or two to the repo if I run into a problem which really affects me and is something I really want to and can fix... But I don't think it would be accurate to call myself a "Pale Moon/UXP developer" these days. So it might be a good idea to change my purple developer "flair" (is that what you call them in bulletin boards? :P) to something else so that people don't expect they can contact me for some reason and fix a problem they might have... I would still like to have access to the pre-release discussion board though.

So that's it, I hope you guys can understand. This is not a goodbye, and I don't think I'd like to ever say that to such an amazing project we have built here. I'm still looking forward to a bright future for Pale Moon and UXP! :D

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from Mozilla/UXP-related development

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-08-06, 09:15

Thanks for the heads up, Job. And thanks again for your awesome work and contributions to the project (past as well as potential future if it so happens).

I'll remove your "developer" special rank (it's what phpBB calls it, not sure if there's a set cross-forum term for it) to clarify to others you're not actively developing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-08-06, 13:54

Thanks for your nice post!
:thumbup:

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-08-06, 19:00

Thank you for all your hard work! I hope your University and other endeavors go well! :)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2023-08-06, 22:50

Best luck to you and as it is no full good-bye - you can always return in helping to code if you feel motivated or have time again :ugeek: :wave: