Sleeping Tabs "Poll"

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Sleeping Tabs "Poll"

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-24, 04:37

I installed Lull The Tabs, and find it helpful because I tend to leave a lot of tabs open, but occasionally am needing to use a laptop with precious little memory. (Using vertical tabs means I am comfortable with many open because I can still read the names okay.)

But I am curious about what timeout is used by those who also have an add-on that automatically frees up the memory of the inactive tabs.

2 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or more?

This is not to discover the "best" timeout because there is no such thing, but I currently have mine set to 5 minutes, and am interested in what other Pale Moon users find works for them!
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Sleeping Tabs "Poll"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-24, 08:43

I'm using "suspender" which is my fork of lull the tabs, and have it set very leniently at 120 minutes (2 hours).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2023-07-24, 09:55

Also set to 120 minutes.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2023-07-24, 10:56

I have mine set to 20 minutes. If I do happen to open a lot of tabs at once, i.e. opening feed links from Epyrus, then there's always the option to 'Tab -> right click -> Never Unload...' until I've finished.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

jackybaba
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by jackybaba » 2023-07-26, 08:38

suzyne wrote:
2023-07-24, 04:37
I installed Lull The Tabs, and find it helpful because I tend to leave a lot of tabs open, but occasionally am needing to use a laptop with precious little memory. (Using vertical tabs means I am comfortable with many open because I can still read the names okay.)

But I am curious about what timeout is used by those who also have an add-on that automatically frees up the memory of the inactive tabs.

2 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or more?

This is not to discover the "best" timeout because there is no such thing, but I currently have mine set to 5 minutes, and am interested in what other Pale Moon users find works for them!
Wow, using Lull The Tabs sounds like a smart move to handle multiple open tabs efficiently, especially when dealing with a memory-constrained laptop. I can totally relate to the struggle of having too many tabs open! As for the timeout setting, it's fascinating to see the variety of preferences among Pale Moon users. Some might go for a quick 2-minute timeout to free up memory rapidly, while others might opt for a longer 15-minute timeout if they tend to revisit their tabs frequently. Your choice of 5 minutes seems like a balanced approach. It's all about finding what works best for individual browsing habits. Thanks for sharing this useful insight!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-07-26, 11:48

Where's the actual Poll? I thought the forum does provide an option. Anyway, also using Suspender.

35 mins. here. It was set to 15 before but that proved more annoying than useful and I'm thinking about further increasing it. No RAM issues here... "just" CPU. :problem:

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-26, 12:39

back2themoon wrote:
2023-07-26, 11:48
Where's the actual Poll?
There is no actual poll, which is why there are quotes around the word in the heading.

I was just expecting that people would reply with their number and any other comments (just like you have done) and get my intention.

Next time I am happy to use the poll feature (which I am aware of), if that is what you prefer.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-07-26, 18:54

Using Suspender, as it was (from the description) just what I was looking for, and I am happy to say it fit my needs perfectly; At this moment I have 14 tabs 'Suspended' and this forum ATM is the only one active, and still maybe using default settings (can't remember if I changed any); Happy as a Clam with it I am :D
*The Suspended ones can wait till I wake them :shh:
TYVM MC!! :thumbup:
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-26, 21:39

Thanks for the feedback so far, on timeouts. I am definitely on the extreme short side!

Seems like I am the odd one out using Lull the Tabs? The last time I tried using Pale Moon, Lull the Tabs was the premiere add-on for saving memory and was the one installed in my relatively old version of the browser. So when I came back to Pale Moon and couldn't find it here, I searched online and found the latest version. I didn't realise that Suspender was now the popular one, but as far as I can tell, they seem the same?
Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-24, 08:43
I'm using "suspender" which is my fork of lull the tabs, and have it set very leniently at 120 minutes (2 hours).
I did see your reply before the extra comments were removed, and I couldn't quite understand what you meant, but it sounds like I missed some drama, which I don't think I need to know.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-07-26, 22:07

suzyne wrote:
2023-07-26, 21:39
I did see your reply before the extra comments were removed, and I couldn't quite understand what you meant, but it sounds like I missed some drama, which I don't think I need to know.
The drama-less version is that Suspender is available at the preferred Pale Moon Add-ons Site, meaning that it will be cleanly and automatically updated when/if necessary. It is also currently supported, while the status of Lull the Tabs is somewhat unknown at the moment (unless I missed something).

@Moonchild, perhaps the Suspender thread needs to be moved to the Extension Releases/Support section?

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-27, 04:52

Have made the switch, and everything is working well.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2023-07-27, 08:54

Whoops... should have stated I'm using Suspender, not Lull The Tabs.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.