Any Recommendations on Hypervisor for Building UXP?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Any Recommendations on Hypervisor for Building UXP?

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-07-18, 17:33

So far up to this point I've been using VirtualBox to build Basilisk releases, but it's frustratingly slow. The Windows builds take an hour plus each on a VM with 8 cores and 64 GB RAM. Due to the fact that I build 32-bit builds as well that's over 2 hours spent on Windows builds. The Linux builds take 30+ minutes with a similarly specced virtual machine.

It's not like I'm running slow hardware either. My system is a 32-core/64-thread Epyc CPU with 128 GB RAM and an NVME drive. Building Basilisk on my host system takes less than 10 minutes.

I'm considering just taking a tar archive of my Linux build VM and extracting that on my host system and then chrooting into that. That would remove all virtualization overhead. That being said, that doesn't answer the issues with Windows build performance.

Has anyone done any benchmarking on which virtualization software is fastest when it comes to compiling large projects like UXP based browsers? If so, what were your results?
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Any Recommendations on Hypervisor for Building UXP?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-18, 17:53

I can't speak for virtualbox but vmware doesn't have much issue with cross-architecture virtualized builds. it's a little slower but definitiely not by a factor four.
I've tried hypervisor setups but have never been able to get it to work (at all)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2023-07-18, 19:50

~20 min on Ryzen 5600x here, so something is really wrong with your setup. Through i haven't checked how it is on host, but shouldn't be much faster as all physical cores are properly maxed out when building.
Check what virtualization indicator shows - if it is "native", then you have to uninstall hyper-v to let VB run its own hypervisor. Although i'm unsure if it is the cause of such horrible performance.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-07-18, 20:59

Nuck-TH wrote:
2023-07-18, 19:50
Check what virtualization indicator shows - if it is "native", then you have to uninstall hyper-v to let VB run its own hypervisor. Although i'm unsure if it is the cause of such horrible performance.
It shows that it's using VT-x/AMD-V so it is properly using the virtualization extensions of the processor. I'm also on Linux so no Hyper-V here :)
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2023-07-28, 18:50

I would recommend qemu with kvm. A Kernel-based Virtual Machine might have a lot less overhead, and I made progress with compiling a linux distro on these VMs (The only reason i didn't have enough time was that it was a 4-stage build, with the distro bootstrapping itself over and over again).