Recommendation: Backup browser list - to avoid Chromium and to avoid official Firefox support

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Recommendation: Backup browser list - to avoid Chromium and to avoid official Firefox support

Unread post by Sajadi » 2023-07-01, 15:28

Hey :)

As there are quite a lot of people still using officially Firefox or a Chromium (based browsers) as backup - i guess it would be a good idea to list some alternatives to avoid directly using officially Firefox or Chromium :)

Official Firefox is discouraged as already known to Mozilla's countless anti-user decisions, their radical political activism, wish for censorship, many privacy incidents and in general betraying their old core target user group who enjoyed features, full themes and XUL add-ons. And Chromium is discouraged as it is in general a harddisk writing cycle waster.

Thankfully Mozilla has so far not fully destroyed the engine so it is easily possible to push all Cache into memory and therefor limit harddisk writing cycle, which makes alternative Mozilla based browsers still the best option to use beside Pale Moon.

Recommended=
---------------------------
Floorp (offers more UI customization)
https://github.com/Floorp-Projects/Floorp/

Pulse browser (offers more UI customization)
https://github.com/pulse-browser/browser

Partly recommended=
---------------------------
Librewolf (Normal simplistic feature-less Un-Mozilla’d Firefox)
https://librewolf.net/

Waterfox (if you can ignore the fact that it is bought by a commercial company) - (offers more UI customization)
https://www.waterfox.net - https://github.com/WaterfoxCo/Waterfox

Seamonkey (an option - BUT has right now massive web compatibility issues)
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

And additionally to further reduce supporting Mozilla, do not forget to deactivate all telemetry entries in about:config and change your

general.useragent.override

user agent entry to something not Firefox... Pale Moon or Edge/Vivaldi user agent works fine :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Recommendation: Backup browser list - to avoid Chromium and to avoid official Firefox support

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-07-01, 18:01

I have three browsers on three out of my four computers. Three computers are my domain and the fourth computer is my wife's. I don't touch my wife's computer.

On the three computers I use (2 desktop towers, 1 laptop) I use, every linux distribution I use for my operating system uses three browsers and they are in order of preference:

1) Pale Moon
2) Waterfox
3) Firefox

As for the Firefox browser, it is the default browser in both Linux Mint and MX Linux. And I don't mind that Waterfox was bought by an advertising company. I have everything which deals with advertising, disabled in Watefox via settings.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Recommendation: Backup browser list - to avoid Chromium and to avoid official Firefox support

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2023-07-20, 19:13

Mozilla wishes for censorship and engages in radical political activism? Are we living in the same universe? Unless thinking racism is an existential threat is radical and a wish for censorship, and if you think it is, why?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-21, 03:06

daemonspudguy wrote:
2023-07-20, 19:13
thinking racism is an existential threat is radical
If you lived in and grew up in the western world, then yes, it is overblown and idiotic to claim any sort of existential threat due to racism more than half a century after equal rights under the law and banning discrimination were enacted. The only problem with racism is when people can't shut the fuck up about it. If you wear shit colored glasses, don't blame the world for looking brown.
meme - end racism.jpg
Anyway I don't see the relevance of racism with Mozilla's decision that they are more enlightened than you, a mere user, and should therefore be in a position to decide what you're allowed to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2023-07-21, 03:09

I think this is the first time someone unironically sent me a Turning Point USA post.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-21, 04:08

daemonspudguy wrote:
2023-07-21, 03:09
I think this is the first time someone unironically sent me a Turning Point USA post.
Why am I not surprised you would focus on the messenger instead of the message?
I wouldn't know a 'Turning point USA" if it danced naked in front of me; you pointing out the source was the first time I noticed it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-21, 05:29

Off-topic:
daemonspudguy wrote:
2023-07-21, 03:09
When you revive a three week old thread for the sole purpose of injecting your political views into an inactive conversation, not to add anything of substance to the topic, don't be surprised at how people respond to your obvious trolling.

Back on topic - for people who are using GNU/Linux distros, you can add the famously secure and private GNU Icecat browser by adding the Guix package manager to your system. It's a Firefox ESR fork that's worthy of a mention as a backup browser. People using a Debian-based distro can grab and install a deb package for Icecat from the GNUinOS distro's repository: http://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos/poo ... t/?C=M;O=A

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-07-21, 05:32

FWIW, Waterfox is no longer owned by System1.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-21, 05:52

I gave Floorp a try, but can't find a way to turn off the vertical tabs. It integrates the Tree Style Tabs extension, but even disabling that does nothing.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2023-07-21, 08:46

Off-topic:
General warning issued. Please take care with your posts and try to avoid politically, ideologically, religiously or socially sensitive topics (or steering the conversation into such directions). This is in the forum rules (1h). If you haven't read them (recently) please take a few minutes to review.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-07-21, 16:36

And additionally to further reduce supporting Mozilla, do not forget to deactivate all telemetry entries in about:config
Are you implying that SeaMonkey has "telemetry" - much less that it gets sent back to Mozilla?
(Maybe ? there are some prefs in about:config? Maybe there is still some code in the browser? But that it gets sent - anywhere, not.)

and change your general.useragent.override user agent entry to something not Firefox
I suggest Pale Moon use native web compatibility as its default web compatibility setting. Having Firefox as the default setting belittles Pale Moon.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-07-21, 16:45

Does https://floorp.app/ have an EN page?
I take it it includes some "themes" & other "tweaks".
And one would want to use this (over FF itself), why?

What are floorp's ideologies & how do they compare to FF's (purported) ones?
Why should I care about either?

Pulse, states that it is "experimental".
Nix's telemetry, that's fine.
uBlock Origin, that's fine.
But then (some of) those "tweaks". "Fastfox" makes things "faster". OK. So they "tweak" all kinds of Prefs. Prefs that would otherwise be set at sane defaults. Suppose everyone & their brother started tweaking the .... out of PM Prefs. (And then came running to these forums for support...).

If you're OK with what the project does, then OK.
But you're going to switch away from FF because of their ideologies?
Harp on FF when they talk out their ass, yes, for sure. Harp on all that they have done wrong. But to actually care about their two-faced "mantra", & then to say you're going to switch to something "better" (& better also being based on that very same FF)...

You may as well suggest that they use PM instead ;-).
(Oh.)

And in that regard, while SeaMonkey is a fine browser, it is not fine - as an alternative to PM - for sites that PM has issues on.
(I'm posting from SM at the moment.)
Last edited by therube on 2023-07-21, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2023-07-21, 16:48

What do you mean by their ideologies? As far as I can tell, the Floorp developers don't have any that tie into their work on the Floorp browser.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-07-21, 17:02

Well, I don't know, can't seem to find information on that.
But that's not the point.
Everyone has ideologies, stated or not.

But to dislike Mozilla's ideologies, & then to not even know what Floorp's may be...

If you ignore one, & also ignore the other, then it's a moot point, isn't it :-).

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-07-21, 17:10

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-07-21, 17:19

therube wrote:
2023-07-21, 16:45
And one would want to use this (over FF itself), why?
I recently d/l'ed the Floorp browser. I like it already. About a decade or so ago I switched from FireFox to Pale Moon, initially only because PM loaded (started up) faster than FF and because I could xfer all the add-ons I had gotten to used to from FF to PM. So I got Floorp to see if it is a viable replacement (for me) of the Vivaldi browser. The first thing I noticed was that Floorp loads up much quicker than Vivaldi. I've only been using it a few hours, but so far the few sites that I had to browse with Vivaldi work fine with Floorp and I plan to use it more than Vivaldi which was my secondary browser. Pale Moon remains my primary browser, and I have no doubt that it will continue to be.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-21, 19:28

I tried Floorp and didn't like how the vertical tabs were duplicated along the top. I believe there is some tweak you can do to remove them from the top, but it seems like an odd default behaviour. I think once Pulse leaves behind the "experimental" label it will be the better alternative to regular Firefox.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-07-21, 20:46

suzyne wrote:
2023-07-21, 19:28
I tried Floorp and didn't like how the vertical tabs were duplicated along the top.
An earlier post by moonbat also mentions a vertical tabs issue. Is this related to the Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar in Preferences | Tabs?

edit: It could have to do with this option, Preferences | Tabbar | Optimise browser for vertical tabs. I opened up close to a dozen tabs before I enabled that option and my frustration quickly grew when the whole tab bar disappeared. I quickly went back to Floorp's 'Normal Mode'..
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-22, 02:54

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2023-07-21, 20:46
Is this related to the Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar in Preferences | Tabs?
No, I was just asking how to turn off vertical tabs altogether and have it look like any other regular browser, with horizontal tabs. Couldn't find any way to do that.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-22, 23:58

While I prefer vertical tabs down the side (and as far as I could tell) there wasn't a built-in option in the settings to turn off the horizontal tabs along the top.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.