Your browser is not supported

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Sabrina81
Banned user
Banned user

Your browser is not supported

Unread post by Sabrina81 » 2023-06-19, 01:53

I'm using the current version of PM: 32.2.0. I always update when prompted, but I find that I increasingly cannot use websites that I could formerly use. When I try, I get the message: "Your browser is no longer supported" or "Your browser is out of date" or something of the sort. So I open the current version of Firefox or Slimjet, and everything works fine.

This happens often enough that I haven't even tried to keep track of all the sites I can no longer access. I'm just putting this out there for anyone who might be interested. I'd be interest to know if others are experiencing this problem with PM. (I fully expect some moderator or developer to post a snarky reply blaming me rather than the Pale Moon browser.)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Your browser is not supported

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-06-19, 01:57

The only thing anyone would be blaming you for would be for not listing the specific sites that are generating these errors for you. Without knowing what specific sites they are (and thus, what these sites might looking for in terms of whether it's useragent sniffing or testing for anything in particular that Pale Moon might be lacking), there is no way we can help you to resolve these issues.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Sabrina81
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Sabrina81 » 2023-06-19, 02:13

Thank you. I wasn't asking for help in resolving the issue. I don't expect to get any such help here. I am just informing others for their information, and asking whether others are encountering a similar problem.

Developers of other browsers (I mentioned Firefox and Slimjet) somehow manage to build browsers that work. The Pale Moon browser increasingly does not work. I think that is the fault of the developers. I really don't have time to keep lists of failures and report back to them. I suspect I'll soon reach the point where I just uninstall Pale Moon and use browsers that are designed to work. It's a competitive field, and browsers are free, so I have no axe to grind with Pale Moon.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-06-19, 02:19

Sabrina81 wrote:
2023-06-19, 02:13
I really don't have time to keep lists of failures and report back to them.
The flipside of that kind of attitude is that, if you do not tell the developers what specific sites are causing problems for you, they cannot even start to attempt to fix whatever it is in Pale Moon that might be causing problems with those sites. So by refusing to list those sites, you are inhibiting the developers' ability to enhance Pale Moon and potentially fix these problems that you say you are encountering.
Sabrina81 wrote:
I have no axe to grind with Pale Moon.
Your actions (in terms of refusing to list sites here, and therefore refusing to help out the project) contradict your words (claiming you have no axe to grind).

Sabrina81
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Sabrina81 » 2023-06-19, 02:24

Nigaikaze wrote:
2023-06-19, 02:19
Sabrina81 wrote:
I really don't have time to keep lists of failures and report back to them.
The flipside of that kind of attitude is that, if you do not tell the developers what specific sites are causing problems for you, they cannot even start to attempt to fix whatever it is in Pale Moon that might be causing problems with those sites. So by refusing to list those sites, you are inhibiting the developers' ability to enhance Pale Moon and potentially fix these problems that you say you are encountering.
Sabrina81 wrote:
I have no axe to grind with Pale Moon.
Your actions (in terms of refusing to list sites here, and therefore refusing to help out the project) contradict your words (claiming you have no axe to grind).
This is what I meant when I said I expected a snarky reply blaming me ("refusing to help out the project") rather than the browser. This seems to be the Pale Moon way. Somehow other browsers -- Firefox, Brave, Slimjet, etc., etc. -- work properly without my having to play handmaiden to their developers. They build browsers that work, and they don't need my assistance to do it. Why can't you guys do that? If I have any axe to grind, there it is: incompetence at one's job.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-19, 02:36

Sabrina81 wrote:
I am just informing others for their information, and asking whether others are encountering a similar problem.
Filed under 'No shit, Sherlock', if you had bothered to browse the web development forum but then again who the hell bothers to read anything first when they can just sign up for an account only to make useless posts like this? This is a niche browser that isn't simply a skin wrapped around Chrome like the others, or a Chrome copycat like Firefox in a world where websites never test on anything but Chrome - a fact you would've found out by just browsing posts here.
Sabrina81 wrote:
2023-06-19, 02:24
This is what I meant when I said I expected a snarky reply blaming me rather then the browser.
Who do you think you are? What else did you expect by showing up just to bitch about this not being an exact clone of Firefox or Chrome, you think people are going to be very welcoming with a complaint like that? Do you even care to have any assistance provided?
Sabrina81 wrote:
This seems to be the Pale Moon way.
Oh yes indeed, it's not as though there are people using this for several years and happily getting their problems sorted, or that there are multiple thank you posts from those who switched.
Sabrina81 wrote:
Firefox, Brave, Slimjet, etc., etc. -- work properly without my having to play handmaiden to their developers. They build browsers that work, and they don't need my assistance to do it.
Then kindly intercourse off and stick to using them. Most popular websites are designed first for those browsers and Google has turned web standards into a joke, but again if you fucking read anything about Pale Moon or the forums you would already know that.
Sabrina81 wrote:
Why can't you guys do that? If I have any axe to grind, there it is: incompetence at one's job.
Incompetence? Are you fucking remotely aware that this is the only browser with its own browser engine in a world where everything is either Chrome or a Chrome copycat (Firefox), with barely a handful of developers and no multi million dollar budget to play with? Like I said what the fuck are you even doing here if you want to live your life and use your browser on autopilot? The utter ignorance combined with arrogance and entitlement is stunning.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-06-19, 02:40

Sabrina81 wrote:
Why can't you guys do that?
First of all, I'm not a developer here. I'm just another community member who uses Pale Moon on a regular basis. And no, for the record, I have not been encountering the level of problems you are describing. But I'm a community member who has been around long enough to see that there are usually two types of responses when people encounter problems with Pale Moon.

The first type of response is from someone who wants to help the project out. They will post the specific website that they are having problems with, they will post the error message(s) that they encounter with the website, and they will provide additional troubleshooting information when requested to do so. Those are the kind of people who want to help the project out and see Pale Moon succeed like other browsers have succeeded.

The other type of response is vague reports of problems from unidentified sites and complete and utter refusals to provide additional troubleshooting information. Those are people who just want to complain about the project and who do not want to bother investing any time or effort whatsoever in helping the project succeed. Those are people who just want to complain. And in this case, continue complaining.

If you do not want to help, I'll be blunt: go away. If Pale Moon does not work for you, as Moonchild himself has said, use something else. If, on the other hand, you want to improve the browser and make it better so that we are not encountering the various problems you claim to be reporting, then take the time and effort to be more diligent in helping the devs out by provide information they can work with. It really doesn't take that much time or that much effort.

I would prefer to see you help us out rather than just complain, which is why I am attempting to encourage you to list at least some of the sites and errors that you have encountered. But if you really "don't have time" to do that (which in turn reeks of either apathy or laziness), then please just stop complaining.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-06-19, 02:46

Of course, probably all of us have site compatibility problems; there's a section of the forum for that exact issue. However, I don't normally get the messages you mention. Instead, a site won't display properly. The current version of Pale Moon has improved things a little, though, in that regard. And incompetence has nothing to do with the issue. Pale Moon doesn't kowtow to God Google is the main thing. Also, it's a small team doing what it can with whatever changes it decides to make. G'day.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Sabrina81
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Sabrina81 » 2023-06-19, 02:55

moonbat wrote:
2023-06-19, 02:36
Sabrina81 wrote:
I am just informing others for their information, and asking whether others are encountering a similar problem.
Filed under 'No shit, Sherlock', if you had bothered to browse the web development forum but then again who the hell bothers to read anything first when they can just sign up for an account only to make useless posts like this? This is a niche browser that isn't simply a skin wrapped around Chrome like the others, or a Chrome copycat like Firefox in a world where websites never test on anything but Chrome - a fact you would've found out by just browsing posts here.
Sabrina81 wrote:
This is what I meant when I said I expected a snarky reply blaming me rather then the browser.
Who do you think you are? What else did you expect by showing up just to bitch about this not being an exact clone of Firefox or Chrome, you think people are going to be very welcoming with a complaint like that? Do you even care to have any assistance provided?
Sabrina81 wrote:
This seems to be the Pale Moon way.
Oh yes indeed, it's not as though there are people using this for several years and happily getting their problems sorted, or that there are multiple thank you posts from those who switched.
Sabrina81 wrote:
Firefox, Brave, Slimjet, etc., etc. -- work properly without my having to play handmaiden to their developers. They build browsers that work, and they don't need my assistance to do it.
Then kindly intercourse off and stick to using them. Most popular websites are designed first for those browsers and Google has turned web standards into a joke, but again if you fucking read anything about Pale Moon or the forums you would already know that.
Sabrina81 wrote:
Why can't you guys do that? If I have any axe to grind, there it is: incompetence at one's job.
Incompetence? Are you fucking remotely aware that this is the only browser with its own browser engine in a world where everything is either Chrome or a Chrome copycat (Firefox), with barely a handful of developers and no multi million dollar budget to play with? Like I said what the fuck are you even doing here if you want to live your life and use your browser on autopilot? The utter ignorance combined with arrogance and entitlement is stunning.
Ah, yes. THIS is what I meant by a snarky reply. "Moonbat" is aptly named. "This is a niche browser ..." Well, you can stick it in your niche.

I will uninstall the Pale Moon browser and move along. I don't have time to waste on surly, incompetent, "niche" geeks.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-19, 03:00

Sabrina81 wrote:
2023-06-19, 02:55
I will uninstall the Pale Moon browser and move along. I don't have time to waste on surly, incompetent, "niche" geeks.
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. And sure, we don't need assholes who will just show up to complain without offering any specifics despite repeated polite requests from others. Who's really 'surly' and 'incompetent' now?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-06-19, 03:05

Much butthurt. Ragequit. Attempted insult, attempted insult, attempted insult.

Sad to see, but ...
Sabrina81 wrote:
I wasn't asking for help in resolving the issue.
... demonstrates that they were never looking for help in the first place, in spite of my attempts to turn them away from the dark side.

Hey, mods, probably best that we lock this thread sooner rather than later. Nothing left to see here, ev'ryone else, just move along.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-19, 03:53

And also:
Sabrina81 wrote:
2023-06-19, 01:53
I'm just putting this out there for anyone who might be interested.
Oh sure, congratulations on pointing out something that nobody else using this browser could've possibly known or faced themselves, let alone gotten a solution for.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-06-19, 04:27

Sabrina81 wrote:
2023-06-19, 01:53
So I open the current version of Firefox or Slimjet, and everything works fine.
I recall seeing someone spamming this kind of Slimjet advertisement recently on the forum of a GNU/Linux distro I follow.

Pretty weird - I haven't seen anyone mention that browser for years, and all of a sudden within a week multiple of these types of posts popping up in forums.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-19, 05:20

It's just another Chrome wrapper for smoothbrains who might think it is any different from Brave, Vivaldi, Bromite, Opera, Edge or that these are all separate distinct browsers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-19, 06:16

One self-fulfilling prophecy, fulfilled.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite