Pale Moon & Twitter

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Pale Moon & Twitter

Unread post by VLMin » 2023-06-18, 18:56

Moonchild, without stirring up a hornet's nest, would you be willing to elaborate on what Twitter has done that, in your view, has crossed the line? I'm not a Twitter fan; I've never posted there. Still, IMO such a strong statement begs for clarification or at least elaboration.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon & Twitter

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-18, 19:17

Sorry, I won't elaborate in detail, as it would serve no purpose and would likely just lead to polarization which serves no-one, least of all the project.
It wasn't any one thing, rather a culmination of things, hence the specific wording chosen.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-06-18, 19:26

MC- have you tried gab? like VLMin I have never done twitter or any of that "Social Media" stuff, I mainly joined it to support their Freedom of Speech stance (1A) and so far they hold to their claim.
I'm just a noob and have so far 1.8k followers (stuff happens;)
I would most definitely throw some of your weight around there, ie repost,share,upvote etc.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-18, 20:18

To be clear: not looking for a replacement, either.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2023-06-18, 20:23

Also not sure what this project should be doing on a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network) wrote: social networking service known for its far-right userbase
I also don't really see an advantage to keeping another source of announcements alive, at best it's advertising (but with platforms with a lower user base that's less relevant) and at worst it's just extra effort.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2023-06-18, 22:29

leothetechguy wrote:
2023-06-18, 20:23
Also not sure what this project should be doing on a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network) wrote: social networking service known for its far-right userbase
I also don't really see an advantage to keeping another source of announcements alive, at best it's advertising (but with platforms with a lower user base that's less relevant) and at worst it's just extra effort.
Off-topic:
One really should be a bit careful in throwing around this word in general. Today everything is called "far-right" what is not following the "progressive agenda" - including everything Conservative, Libertarian or even Centrist.

"Far-right" has become like "Nazi" an over-used buzz-word and is thrown way too often around to dehumanize the political opponent who is not "left"

And towards Twitter in general, that page sucks anyway.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-19, 00:18

I didn't even know you used Twitter for project notifications until the announcement :shock:
RSS feeds are best, they should never have declined in favor of proprietary locked in silos.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX