I am looking for a password manager.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

I am looking for a password manager.

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-05-30, 15:00

Hello.
As in the title, I am looking for a good password manager. Thank you very much.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: I am looking for a password manager.

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-30, 22:57

In general or one that works with Pale Moon? You won't find the latter except for KeePass which requires an old extension KeePass Helper to work (that can be got from the Classic Addon Archive)

Otherwise try BitWarden - it's open source and the master password is locally generated but only has extensions for Chrome and modern Firefox.
FInally you can stick to Pale Moon's built in password manager if syncing between mobile and desktop browsers isn't a priority (not that there's a mobile version of PM anymore), it does the job.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-05-30, 23:01

moonbat wrote:
2023-05-30, 22:57
In general or one that works with Pale Moon? You won't find the latter except for KeePass
Uhhh, I would imagine most password managers work with Pale Moon if they have a web site. 1Password certainly does.

Maybe you meant a dedicated extension that auto-fills in credentials might be hard to come by?

Also, doesn't Pale Moon have its own web site password manager built in?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-30, 23:04

BenFenner wrote:
2023-05-30, 23:01
Maybe you meant a dedicated extension that auto-fills in credentials might be hard to come by?
Obviously, the whole point of a password manager these days is being able to autofill the relevant fields and sync across mobile and desktop, else why would one separately login elsewhere just to look up the password and enter it when the built in password manager does the same?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-31, 04:04

Try Pale Moon's built-in password manager.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-05-31, 11:44

I'd second the KeePass, https://keepass.info, suggestion as a 'in general' password manager. I've been using it for gotta be 20 years. I've never used any of the available 'auto login' type plugins, just the programs auto-type or global auto-type features.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-05-31, 11:51

Moonchild wrote:
2023-05-31, 04:04
Try Pale Moon's built-in password manager.
... and if you're an Android user, you can also use this in conjunction with Shaman. However, it does have a few bugs and is a bit clunky. I've to reset the app every time I wanted to sync changes with the browser - which doesn't happen too often since I don't create new accounts/passwords a lot.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-05-31, 12:20

moonbat wrote:
2023-05-30, 23:04
why would one separately login elsewhere just to look up the password and enter it when the built in password manager does the same?
For shared organizational passwords (provided the lack of any better solution currently).
Or if the device is a shared device.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-05-31, 18:08

KeePassXC. If you also want auto-fill in Pale Moon, use the Auto-Type feature. (easy to learn)

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-05-31, 18:24

Just remember, KeePassXC is not KeePass. Each program has its' own website and forum if you need assistance or something.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-01, 00:09

FranklinDM wrote:
2023-05-31, 11:51
... and if you're an Android user, you can also use this in conjunction with Shaman. However, it does have a few bugs and is a bit clunky.
The biggest problem is that it's one-way and read-only, you can't create any bookmarks from your mobile browser for viewing later on the desktop.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-06-02, 08:41

back2themoon wrote:
2023-05-31, 18:08
KeePassXC. If you also want auto-fill in Pale Moon, use the Auto-Type feature. (easy to learn)
what do you mean by "Auto-Type"?
Is is fully automatic or the semi automatic method of having the password app open, then go to the entry and click on "Perform auto-type"?

Because on desktop I am using the 2nd but it would love to have a more automatic method of filling credentials.
In fact in the mobile phone with keepassDX or keepass2android offline, in can fill app credentials really quickly (without using crap cloud services)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-06-02, 09:57

dapgo wrote:
2023-06-02, 08:41
what do you mean by "Auto-Type"?
Is is fully automatic or the semi automatic method of having the password app open, then go to the entry and click on "Perform auto-type"?
It's all described in the provided link, which I'm guessing you missed. Quickest method is the Global Auto-Type: you define a global keyboard shortcut which when pressed, will perform the auto-fill for you. Either with a prompt or not. I prefer the prompt, to be certain of what will be filled.

The password manager will of course need to be open in the background to provide the passwords, but you don't have to manually find anything. A single keyboard press is enough. The only "problem" is that Auto-Type needs to be configured for each entry but it's not that much work, and you are free from "the cloud" and browser extensions.