Which repositories are best for getting Pale Moon updates?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Elephino

Which repositories are best for getting Pale Moon updates?

Unread post by Elephino » 2023-05-19, 21:40

I have upgraded my computer machinery. I have gone from an uninstalled Pale Moon on Linux Mint 17 to an installed Pale Moon on PCLinux. Updating has become a bit problematical. Does anyone know which repository gets the Pale Moon updates first? The previous update for Pale Moon took me a month and a half to get it updated. This was partly because I had little to no understanding of repositories. I am learning very slowly. :roll: Thank you for any help you can provide.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Which repositories are best for getting Pale Moon updates?

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-19, 22:55

Elephino wrote:
2023-05-19, 21:40
The previous update for Pale Moon took me a month and a half to get it updated.
Whoever is building for PCLinux is lagging behind updates if that's the case. For Debian/Ubuntu based distros, stevepusser's repository is the way to go. You may want to forego repositories altogether and just use the generic Linux build which has its own built in auto updater.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-05-20, 03:43

I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon in both 64 bit Linux Mint and in 64 bit MX Linux since I have four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptop) at this time. But my linux Pale Moon browers are "not" installed in either distro.

I manually update my 64 bit Pale Moon browsers using Moonbat's link (generic build) which he provided in his post. I prefer and download the GTK2 tarballs. Then I extract the Pale Moon folder and place it where I want it in my Thunar File Manager since I use the Xfce desktop environement.

Since my browsers are not installed in either distro, I add a launcher icon. Then I create a path to the executable file. Once the path is created, I go into the Image files in the extracted Pale Moon folder (from the tarball) to create the Pale Moon launcher icon and place it on my Panel in both distros.

Then I left click the launcher icon and Pale Moon opens.

BTW, I only have to create the Pale Moon launcher icon one time and that is when both of the distros update to a different version number.

As an example, I'll have to create the launcher icon for 64 bit linux Pale Moon when 64 bit Linux Mint releases version 21.2 (Victoria) Xfce in late June of 2023. This means I do a clean install which formats all of my hard drives. No one click over ride from Mint 21.1 (Vera) Xfce.

I've been doing it this way since January of 2014 when linux Pale Moon was publicly released. And I have never had any problems with Pale Moon using this method.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Elephino

Unread post by Elephino » 2023-08-07, 19:55

Thank you for your kind help!!!!!
I now have Pale Moon (not installed) in my home directory so I can update it, rather than than rely on synaptic package repositories that may not get "round TUIT" when I need the update.
Thank you again!!!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-08, 00:14

@ Elephino

I will give you a tip so when the next version of Pale Moon is released, you should not have any problems.

The next newest version of linux Pale Moon should be released in September.

When the next new version of Pale Moon is released; download either the GTK2 or the GTK3 tarball, which you prefer, onto your computer. But "do not" extract the newest Pale Moon folder from the tarball just yet.

Then open your home directory and "delete" the old 32.3.1 Pale Moon folder in there.

Then go back to the tarball you just downloaded, "extract the newest Pale Moon folder" from the tarball and place the newest Pale Moon folder back in your home directory. Then Pale Moon should open and run for you without any problems just like it does now. This will not affect your Pale Moon profile in any way.

Important: You do not want to have the old Pale Moon folder and the newest Pale Moon folder on your computer at the same time. It can and sometimes will cause you problems since Pale Moon is not installed. I learned that the hard way since................"pain is an excellent teacher". :shock:

BTW, I do the exact same procedure for myself since I also use linux Waterfox and linux Mercury browsers on my computers too and both of these linux browser are "not" installed either in the Mint and MX Linux distros.

In conclusion. When I'm using Mint or MX Linux, each distro has four browsers and in order of preference for me they are:

1) Pale Moon
2) Waterfox
3) Mercury
4) Firefxox
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

DavidGH

Unread post by DavidGH » 2023-08-08, 13:14

I will give you a tip so when the next version of Pale Moon is released, you should not have any problems...
That's one way to do it, but it makes it harder to revert to a previous version. Instead I do something that's more complicated to set up, but is easy to update (especially if your file manager is competent).
Download Pale Moon to ~/Downloads/ or similar. Extract the tarball; the resulting subdir will be called palemoon/. Rename it to palemoon-32.3.1.
Create a symlink in Downloads (or ~, or wherever you like) that points to palemoon-32.3.1/. Set your menu entry/desktop icon filepath to use that symlink.
Then, when you download a new version, just extract it and rename the new subdir as above; then change the symlink to point to the new version.

If for some reason you want to run a previous version, just change the symlink again.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-08, 16:02

DavidGH wrote:
2023-08-08, 13:14

That's one way to do it, but it makes it harder to revert to a previous version. Instead I do something that's more complicated to set up, but is easy to update (especially if your file manager is competent).
I do not revert back to older or previous versions of Pale Moon. The only time I stay on an older version is when Pale Moon goes to a newer version and the theme I use is not compatible with the newer version.

As an example.

Right now Pale Moon is on the version 32 which include the point releases in 32 (32.3.1 at the date of this posting). If and when Pale Moon goes to version 33, but the Moonscape theme I use is not compatible with version 33, then I will stay with last version of 32 until the Moonscape theme is compatible with version 33. Then I will update to version 33.

And from your own words above which you state, "you do something more complicated". I do not like to make things more complicated for myself which may cause problems since I do not revert back to old versions of Pale Moon.

There are a lot more tech savvy people using the Pale Moon browser, but some of these more tech savvy people than me like to tinker around with the Pale Moon browser and create problems for themselves which they cannot solve. Then they come to this site, register and then ask for help for the problem they themselves created.

In closing.

I do it my way since I like things which are easy, work and do not create complications/problems for myself. And you do it your way since you know what you are doing. For both of us, this can be summed up as: "To Each, Their Own".

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-08-08, 23:46

If you ever plan on reverting to a previous version, exit the browser and backup your profile directory before updating it. Profiles are not always backward compatible and reverting can cause problems. I have only ever done this when doing a milestone upgrade (30 to 32 at the latest) as a precaution in case something went wrong, and even then I've never had to revert.
Night Wing wrote:
2023-08-08, 16:02
There are a lot more tech savvy people using the Pale Moon browser, but some of these more tech savvy people than me like to tinker around with the Pale Moon browser and create problems for themselves which they cannot solve. Then they come to this site, register and then ask for help for the problem they themselves created.
True, though I wouldn't call them tech savvy. More a case of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. People needlessly complicate their workflows, by contrast, the truly tech savvy figure out an efficient workflow and stick with it so they don't have to waste time tinkering.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

browncoat4ak

Unread post by browncoat4ak » 2023-08-10, 05:45

moonbat wrote:
2023-05-19, 22:55
For Debian/Ubuntu based distros, stevepusser's repository is the way to go. You may want to forego repositories altogether and just use the generic Linux build which has its own built in auto updater.
I added stevepusser's repository when I got this computer (ZorinOS/Gnome), but it seems it hasn't been updated in a while.. I'm still on 32.0.1 :/ Is there another repository y'all can recommend to get the current version? I prefer to use repositories and update everything at once with package manager. If not I will use the linked generic build, but if I do, do I need to know if I have the GTK2 or GTK3 build/how do I find out? I'm very cautious after an update bug (and my inattention) caused problems with Pale Moon on an old wincrap computer.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-08-10, 05:52

browncoat4ak wrote:
2023-08-10, 05:45
ZorinOS
Ensure that you picked the right base Ubuntu version that your distro is derived from. Also there's a separate GTK3 repo now since I made my earlier comment that you quoted.