DuckDuckGo disables most search filters...

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

DuckDuckGo disables most search filters...

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-04-24, 16:22

Martin Brinkmann of Ghacks wrote:
Internet search engine DuckDuckGo launched an update recently that removed most search filters, also called operators, from the search engine.

Removed search operators include " " to search for exact terms, the "-" and "+" operators to reduce or increase the weight of search terms, and filetype:type, which allowed users to search for specific filetypes using search.
DuckDuckGo disables most search filters from Search: https://www.ghacks.net/2023/04/24/duckd ... om-search/

According to Wayback Machine, the change to DDG's Syntax page was sometime after 28 Feb and before 7 March.

DDG's current Search Syntax page: https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo- ... ts/syntax/

Possibly due to a change in the way DDG is allowed to use results obtained from Bing?

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: DuckDuckGo disables most search filters...

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-04-24, 20:22

From DuckDuckGo’s own syntax page, which you have linked, syntactic operators are failing for some unknown glitch. This is not a deliberate bid to simplify searching for dullards, which had been my first impression.
Rather troubling is the note on sources showing how DDG sees itself:
DuckDuckGo wrote:When people search, we believe they’re really looking for answers, as opposed to just links. For many categories of searches…there is usually a specialized search engine[,] content site…or dedicated source…that does a better job of actually answering searches than a general search engine can with just links. Our long-term goal is to get you Instant Answers from these best sources.
I had given up DDG for Qwant and MetaGer years ago, and those for Mojeek after the war in the Ukraine erupted, so this affects me little, but this is still unwelcome.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-04-24, 21:32

Mæstro wrote:
2023-04-24, 20:22
I had given up DDG for Qwant and MetaGer years ago, and those for Mojeek after the war in the Ukraine erupted, so this affects me little, but this is still unwelcome.
This is good to know, I had tried Mojeek last year and was not impressed but today it's working really well.

These DDG search filters have always been hit-or-miss for me, but DDG is good enough for routine searches and works quickly, and the main reason I use it is they support Pale Moon. If I hear that Mojeek is also supporting Pale Moon then I'll probably use that for awhile.

I like the fact that Mojeek has a page of information specifically on using it with Pale Moon, that's another positive sign.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-04-24, 22:29

Hmm... all very odd... things would seem to be in flux at DDG wrt having working search operators or not? :?

When I read the Ghacks article mid-afternoon (Mon 24Apr23)... and then posted info here as DDG is set as Pale Moon's standard search plugin option out-of-the-box... the link to DDG's Search Syntax page found a very brief page with no list of operators... only how to search on other sites.

As DDG's note below the re-posted list of operators now says, they are having "non-trivial issues" ensuring their advanced search operators work!

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-04-25, 05:40

The - operator was the first to go, and it's been broken for over a year or so. I think it has something to do with them using results from Bing, since I recall reading that MS also made some changes that prevented users from excluding terms from their search results.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-04-25, 16:41

Qwant and MetaGer depend also on Bing’s results, if I am not mistaken. Have their operators also been crippled?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-04-26, 19:42

Boy I do hope this is temporary.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Mojeek is down.

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-04-27, 21:13

To make things even more awkward, Mojeek, in the .de and .com domains as well as my usual .co.uk, has failed to load since yesterday. A friend and I have tested in Pale Moon, Epiphany and LibreWolf; this is not a browser problem. Has anyone word of what might be going on?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-04-27, 21:20

Mæstro wrote:
2023-04-27, 21:13
To make things even more awkward, Mojeek, in the .de and .com domains as well as my usual .co.uk, has failed to load since yesterday.
Interesting. I am able to pull up mojeek.de, .com and .co.uk just fine right now. Using PM 32.1.1 in the USA.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-05-01, 02:06

Mojeek has been loading properly for me since ereyesterday. The problem had gone away as mysteriously as it had begun.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-01, 09:53

Mæstro wrote:
2023-05-01, 02:06
Mojeek has been loading properly for me since ereyesterday. The problem had gone away as mysteriously as it had begun.
Like any complex live service there will occasionally be interruptions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hustlah
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by hustlah » 2023-05-28, 09:13

And still is a better search engine than Google ;)