A tip for those who wish to read news articles from poorly-coded websites that do not work in Pale Moon

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

A tip for those who wish to read news articles from poorly-coded websites that do not work in Pale Moon

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-04-02, 19:48

A number of popular news outlets have websites that are poorly coded and are Chrome-centric, and therefore unfortunately do not display properly (if at all!) in Pale Moon.

If any of you ever run into that situation, there is a simple workaround: put the link through www.printfriendly.com.

In my experience, that will in most cases allow one to read the article.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: A tip for those who wish to read news articles from poorly-coded websites that do not work in Pale Moon

Unread post by Michaell » 2023-04-03, 14:14

The link you posted is not formatted correctly for this forum, it added the forum address to the link.

I bookmarked the sire for possible future use.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: A tip for those who wish to read news articles from poorly-coded websites that do not work in Pale Moon

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-04-03, 14:44

Tharthan wrote:
2023-04-02, 19:48
A number of popular news outlets have websites that are poorly coded and are Chrome-centric, and therefore unfortunately do not display properly (if at all!) in Pale Moon.

If any of you ever run into that situation, there is a simple workaround: put the link through www.printfriendly.com.
Another solution is to use a backup browser for those pesky news sites (and other non news sites) such as Waterfox (my backup browser), Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, Chrome, or Edge.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-04-03, 17:32

I have a crazy cool workaround to read news on shitty websites:

1) Install Pale Moon/Basilisk & amfora/Lagrange browser
2) copy your favourite site's url or rss feed url
3) Go to the gemini://gemi.dev/cgi-bin/waffle.cgi/ and paste it into the box "Enter your own favourite news site", press enter
4) Bookmark freshly converter gemini news site from html

Win, this is how New Scientist looks on amfora
screenshot_1680543100.png
screenshot_1680543195.png
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-04-03, 18:25

fatboy wrote:
2023-04-03, 17:32
3) Go to the gemini://gemi.dev/cgi-bin/waffle.cgi/ and paste it into the box "Enter your own favourite news site", press enter
That works great, thanks! I've been looking for a way to move more of my tech news reading over to Lagrange. NewsWaffle is perfect.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-04-03, 18:37

I like mirroring in Archive Today for sites which refuse to render in Pale Moon without scripts. RecordRewind exists to ease this, but I find keeping Archive Today in my bookmark bar is easy enough access.
Off-topic:
Am I the only one who wishes that online news articles would consistently provide direct links to whatever primary source has told them whatever it is they are reporting? As of now, I am trying to find some Hungarian minister’s blog to check a Reuters claim.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-04-05, 02:53

Off-topic:
Mæstro wrote:
2023-04-03, 18:37
Off-topic:
Am I the only one who wishes that online news articles would consistently provide direct links to whatever primary source has told them whatever it is they are reporting?
No, you are certainly not the only one.

I additionally wish that, whenever a court case is brought up or a reference is made to some document relating to a legal case (ex. a brief), links would be included to the actual documents.

Some news publications do include links for such things, but not all of them. And when a particular story is not the most widely reported of stories, it can sometimes take a while searching before I end up finding the actual document in question.

I imagine that laws relating to legal documents vary from nation to nation, but at least where I live, those documents are usually available to the public for reading assuming that one knows certain basic information about the case in question.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2023-04-16, 17:01

If you consistently visit the same problematic sites, you can additionally help yourself with the URL Rewriter add-on :thumbup: