deprecated extensions are a waste of time

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
lunapalida
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

deprecated extensions are a waste of time

Unread post by lunapalida » 2023-04-01, 10:02

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-19, 22:54
mbr12 wrote:
2023-03-19, 22:40
v28.15, specifically so I can use older extensions (no lectures, please)
I won't give you a lecture but also understand that (1) we don't support versions that are that old and (2) there shouldn't be an issue using legacy Firefox extensions on our current latest version.
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

But is it serious to lure users on websites with deprecated extensions that do not work with the current software?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: deprecated extensions are a waste of time

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-01, 11:37

Not sure what you're asking here.

Our add-ons site has Pale Moon extensions that are compatible with Pale Moon specifically.
Legacy Firefox extensions can also be installed, if you can find them elsewhere, but aren't guaranteed to have full functionality.

Not sure what kind of "luring" you are meaning here. Please explain.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2023-04-01, 12:11

Unless extension have strict compatibility setting enabled in install.rdf, maximum version lower that current version of browser doesn't mean much - it very well may work unless something that extension uses was changed.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-04-01, 14:12

The reason why we don't provide support for old versions of Pale Moon is due to security, as well as the fact that so many changed since 28.15 that it's impractical to consider all its own quirks in troubleshooting. It's just not comparable to add-ons which are way, way smaller (and therefore has a smaller attack surface too), and therefore security is practically not really a concern if it comes from our add-on site (where each newly submitted add-on is reviewed before publishing). If an add-on goes stale in updates, it doesn't automatically become insecure; that's because most add-ons we serve are already feature-complete (or almost complete) that the developer can just fully focus on maintenance (e.g. make sure the add-on still works in future versions), which isn't as hard as keeping the browser maintained. The opposite can happen actually if a developer keep pushing updates in their add-on at a breakneck pace (which doesn't happen here).

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-04-01, 23:28

lunapalida wrote:
2023-04-01, 10:02
But is it serious to lure users on websites with deprecated extensions that do not work with the current software?
If you see this browser as nothing but a vehicle for dead Firefox extensions, that's on you.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

lunapalida
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lunapalida » 2023-04-01, 23:34

Moonchild wrote:
2023-04-01, 11:37
Not sure what kind of "luring" you are meaning here. Please explain.
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cleo/
Compatibility Pale Moon 25.0 to 27.*

FEBE
Compatibility Pale Moon 28.0 to 28.*
Nuck-TH wrote:
2023-04-01, 12:11
Unless extension have strict compatibility setting enabled in install.rdf,
Both work well, the matter is solved, thanks!

My guess was wrong, the extensions are not out of date, so
I cancel my statement about the waste of time and claim the opposite;)

The compatibility specification is only a recommendation.