Page 1 of 1

The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-18, 21:34
by Lexx Diamond
https://palemoon.start.me/ was working fine yesterday. I am using Palemoon v29.1.1 (64). Windows 10 Enterprise. Intel Core i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16.0GB RAM. I disabled every add on and still the page won't load. I don't want to update to that latest version of Palemoon. As the update would render the BBCodeXtra 0.5.4 add on I use inoperable. I just don't want to use Firefox. I would have to enable via NOSCRIPT "Google Analytics" to use the current version of BBCodeXtra and I really don't want to do that. Below is a screenshot. I tried https://palemoon.start.me/ on Firefox & Opera and it works well. the site is not blocked by my firewall. Any useful assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Image

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-18, 22:11
by moonbat
Works great here.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-18, 23:15
by mrnhmath
Happy (almost) 2 years to Pale Moon 29.1.1, released 2021-03-30 :roll:

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-18, 23:21
by moonbat
mrnhmath wrote:
2023-03-18, 23:15
Happy (almost) 2 years to Pale Moon 29.1.1, released 2021-03-30 :roll:

Because it's so hard to update an extension's max version (covered several times here in older posts) rather than sticking to an old and unsupported browser version.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-18, 23:42
by Moonchild
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-18, 21:34
I am using Palemoon v29.1.1 (64).
Update to a current version
I would have to enable via NOSCRIPT
Create a new profile without noscript
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-18, 21:34
Windows 10 Enterprise.
Are you in a medium to large enterprise with IT rolled out installations? And still using old and insecure web browser versions? tisk tisk! :D
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-18, 21:34
I don't want to update to that latest version of Palemoon.
Then we can't help you. We do not perpetually support long-outdated versions.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 04:57
by Lexx Diamond
Very well then. Updating the browser would make it useless to me. I'll just have to use bookmarks for now. As I intend to ride this version of Palemoon until the wheels fall off.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 04:59
by jobbautista9
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-19, 04:57
Updating the browser would make it useless to me.
Why would that be? What's stopping you from updating to the latest version?

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 05:36
by Lexx Diamond
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-19, 04:59
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-19, 04:57
Updating the browser would make it useless to me.
Why would that be? What's stopping you from updating to the latest version?
There are add ons I currently use heavily that will not work in the latest version of Palemoon.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 05:55
by jobbautista9
And these add-ons are?

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 06:07
by moonbat
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-19, 05:55
And these add-ons are?
Don't bother, if he wanted to he could've at any time asked how to make his addons compatible the way so many others have, or seen the multiple times people have posted instructions on how to fix addons. :coffee:

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 11:35
by Moonchild
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-19, 05:55
And these add-ons are?
As the update would render the BBCodeXtra 0.5.4 add on I use inoperable.
i.e. hung up on one particular extension.
But, instead of posting in the add-ons board with a request for help to make it compatible with current Pale Moon either as an update or a fork, the path taken is "I'm not updating from a combination that works". While that is fine, stay on whatever setup works for you. BUT... complaining about the web breaking as a result is not the right way forward.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 12:36
by jobbautista9
Ah, I missed that part in their first post in this thread, whoops.

The add-on they mentioned seems to be working fine for me here in 32? I wonder what's "inoperable" about it. I installed the 0.5.4 version from addons.thunderbird.net.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 15:45
by Lexx Diamond
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-19, 12:36
Ah, I missed that part in their first post in this thread, whoops.

The add-on they mentioned seems to be working fine for me here in 32? I wonder what's "inoperable" about it. I installed the 0.5.4 version from addons.thunderbird.net.
Hey thanks a lot for that info! Versions that immediately came after v29.1.1 didn't allow that extension and a few more the work. The few times I searched for a resolution I saw similar requests or inquiries from other members were met with dismissive remarks and a contention of 'upgrade and deal with it.' Mind you though I use up to 9 browsers throughout the day. Palemoon and other browsers allowing me to us NOSCRIPT are my preferred browsers. Funny thing is even though I updated the browser start.me still wont load. It's fine though. Bookmarks will work just fine from now on. Thanks again and have a great day.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 17:42
by Mæstro
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-19, 15:45
Hey thanks a lot for that info! Versions that immediately came after v29.1.1 didn't allow that extension and a few more the work.
I see what has happened now. The extension failures that had kept you on the old version have a curious history. XUL extensions can target Pale Moon directly, but this browser is also compatible with old Firefox extensions. You will see these by the blue and orange dots beside the extension names in the add-ons menu. In 2021 and early 2022, one of Pale Moon’s then most active developers had sought to make Pale Moon a browser for programmers and other skilled users. To drive normal users (and even power users without an informatics background) away, he had persuaded the developers to cut the browser’s support for unmodified Firefox extensions after v29·1·1. In March 2022, this developer sabotaged the Pale Moon servers after quarrelling with Moonchild about localisation (another thing he hates, likely out of rank Yankee nationalism). Once it had become apparent that this developer had manipulated the Pale Moon team in bad faith, support for Firefox extensions was restored in v31.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 20:01
by Lexx Diamond
Mæstro wrote:
2023-03-19, 17:42
Lexx Diamond wrote:
2023-03-19, 15:45
Hey thanks a lot for that info! Versions that immediately came after v29.1.1 didn't allow that extension and a few more the work.
I see what has happened now. The extension failures that had kept you on the old version have a curious history. XUL extensions can target Pale Moon directly, but this browser is also compatible with old Firefox extensions. You will see these by the blue and orange dots beside the extension names in the add-ons menu. In 2021 and early 2022, one of Pale Moon’s then most active developers had sought to make Pale Moon a browser for programmers and other skilled users. To drive normal users (and even power users without an informatics background) away, he had persuaded the developers to cut the browser’s support for unmodified Firefox extensions after v29·1·1. In March 2022, this developer sabotaged the Pale Moon servers after quarrelling with Moonchild about localisation (another thing he hates, likely out of rank Yankee nationalism). Once it had become apparent that this developer had manipulated the Pale Moon team in bad faith, support for Firefox extensions was restored in v31.
:clap: You clearly understand my dilemma. As well as the contentions that brought about the circumstances affecting myself and many others. I had pretty much walked away the forum. Having resolved myself to using something awesome that probably wouldn't last much longer. However, that changed today and I'm so happy.

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-19, 20:03
by Lexx Diamond
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-19, 12:36
Ah, I missed that part in their first post in this thread, whoops.

The add-on they mentioned seems to be working fine for me here in 32? I wonder what's "inoperable" about it. I installed the 0.5.4 version from addons.thunderbird.net.
The page works now. I assumed when I ran the update it would take me to the latest version listed in the release notes. Turns out the upgrade went the version 31.1.0. Since then I updated to the version you listed and all is well. Thanks a million!

Re: The website https://palemoon.start.me/ won't open in Palemoon. Yet it works in every other browser.

Posted: 2023-03-20, 11:31
by jobbautista9
Glad the add-on now works for you! :thumbup: