[Linux] Unable to update Palemoon

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
ari88
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

[Linux] Unable to update Palemoon

Unread post by ari88 » 2023-01-27, 06:49

I'm not sure how to go about fixing this...I've added myself to the group wheel to enable myself to have root privileges (using visudo), but still can't update Palemoon (which is located in my usr/share/applications).

Is it possible to just "sudo update palemoon" using the command line? I am unsure how as I am new to Linux :?

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: [Linux] Unable to update Palemoon

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-27, 17:01

Which distribution are you using, and how had you installed Pale Moon? The tarball version should be unpacked in /home, where it can modify itself, not under /usr. At any rate, one cannot invoke the tarball version through the terminal as palemoon, as though it were a package. If you would like to manage Pale Moon as an ordinary package, like I do, I suggest installing your distribution’s contributed build if it is not already in your distribution’s official repository. If it is therein, then its overseers might simply be slow to build and offer v32.
Off-topic:
Enabling root privileges for your normal account is rather dangerous, akin to running everything as an administrator on Windows. You should undo this if you can.
Last edited by Mæstro on 2023-01-27, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-01-27, 17:16

The apt version doesn't include the internal updater, because updates are handled via apt.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Kruppt
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Kruppt » 2023-01-27, 17:19

What distribution are you using, and what method did you use to install Pale Moon in the first place?
You don't even need to be screwing around with permissions/users/groups to install Pale Moon.
The only thing that should be installed in /usr/share/applications is the palemoon.desktop file,
It is not the location to install anything. If your new to Linux you should stick to the conventional
method of installation using the package management system of your distro.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install palemoon

ari88
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ari88 » 2023-01-28, 04:10

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2023-01-27, 17:01
Which distribution are you using, and how had you installed Pale Moon? The tarball version should be unpacked in /home, where it can modify itself, not under /usr. At any rate, one cannot invoke the tarball version through the terminal as palemoon, as though it were a package. If you would like to manage Pale Moon as an ordinary package, like I do, I suggest installing your distribution’s contributed build if it is not already in your distribution’s official repository. If it is therein, then its overseers might simply be slow to build and offer v32.
I'm running Manjaro and I installed Pale Moon using Manjaro's package manager (Pamac) from it's Official Repo. When I look at my History log in Pamac - I can see that Pale Moon has been upgraded twice (one being earlier this month), so I think you are correct - the overseers might be simply slow to offer v32 :)

Is there a way then to simply turn off this constant reminder that I need to upgrade Palemoon? Since I've already set my Pamac to notify me for new app updates. I had a look at Palemoon's preferences and can't seem to find an option to turn off update reminders?
Off-topic:
Enabling root privileges for your normal account is rather dangerous, akin to running everything as an administrator on Windows. You should undo this if you can.
Thank you for this advice and I will do that.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-28, 04:51

Hm… Pale Moon, if it is being released as a package, ought not check for updates (which it cannot install) on its own. If you click on Preferences, then Advanced in the window that appears, then the Update tab, have you got a single tick box for search engines and nothing else (as in my screenshot), or are there further settings? If there are further settings, then among them should be one to disable checking for updates. Disabling this will not affect your package manager’s function, but it will stop (future) notifications from Pale Moon itself about updates. It also means that the Manjaro repository’s managers have been careless about how they build the package: such packaged versions should not include the updater that features in the tarball, to prevent scenarios like this. Someone should inform them of this.

I confess I am less sure of how to stop the current round of notifications, or what to do if your settings are like mine, but I am researching.
Attachments
Unbenannt.png

ari88
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ari88 » 2023-01-28, 06:00

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2023-01-28, 04:51
Hm… Pale Moon, if it is being released as a package, ought not check for updates (which it cannot install) on its own. If you click on Preferences, then Advanced in the window that appears, then the Update tab, have you got a single tick box for search engines and nothing else (as in my screenshot), or are there further settings? If there are further settings, then among them should be one to disable checking for updates. Disabling this will not affect your package manager’s function, but it will stop (future) notifications from Pale Moon itself about updates. It also means that the Manjaro repository’s managers have been careless about how they build the package: such packaged versions should not include the updater that features in the tarball, to prevent scenarios like this. Someone should inform them of this.

I confess I am less sure of how to stop the current round of notifications, or what to do if your settings are like mine, but I am researching.
Thank you for being so helpful.

Found the Update tab in Advanced settings (my theme was camouflaging it - glad you included your screenshot).

Interestingly enough, when I click on "Show Update History" in the Update tab, it says "No updates installed yet". But Pamac lists two updates since installation of Palemoon.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-28, 16:22

Pale Moon’s native update log will not show any updates made through the package manager; it only records updates the native updater has made. Properly, that update log should not exist in your version for the reasons I have said: builds for a repository should omit the update manager, which has a purpose only in the tarball and Windows versions. Again, this is Manjaro’s managers’s oversight.

Does disabling checking for updates stop the browser nagging you? If not, there must be some way to clear the updater’s memory of available updates, but I have not yet found it in my searching.

ari88
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ari88 » 2023-01-30, 00:54

Mæstro wrote:
2023-01-28, 16:22
Does disabling checking for updates stop the browser nagging you? If not, there must be some way to clear the updater’s memory of available updates, but I have not yet found it in my searching.
Yes, it thankfully did stop the update reminder message :)