Forced to change password, why ?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
puppyX
Fanatic
Fanatic

Forced to change password, why ?

Unread post by puppyX » 2023-01-24, 13:10

Win 7 PM 32.0.0 64bit

After applying the latest update today, I tried to sign in to the forum and was met with a screen ordering a change of password. So quickly changed to a Linux computer with the previous version of PM and was met with the same screen.

The only other difference is that the Palefill addon is not compatible with PM 32.0.0

Due to the forum being the only way I can find to contact PM staff the password has been re-set.

Why was this password change ordered/mandated ? The original password was strong. I don't use a password manager.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Forced to change password, why ?

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-01-24, 13:20

There was an "Important: password change enforcement" announcement posted last week that answers your question: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29323

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-01-24, 13:45

It wasn't posted in the Announcements section so those who rely on those notifications might have missed it. I missed it too, but don't mind changing the password. Better safe than sorry.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-24, 14:44

It was a global announcement that was on top of every board on the forum for a while.
I assumed that was sufficient. Sorry if it wasn't.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Stargate38
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Stargate38 » 2023-01-24, 18:25

I've changed my password. The new one I've chosen is over 20 characters long, alphanumeric (both lower and UPPER case), and shouldn't be crackable in the forseeable future. Please don't make me change it again, as the one I've chosen is beyond secure, at least for the next 10 years.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-01-24, 19:08

Stargate38 wrote:
2023-01-24, 18:25
Please don't make me change it again,
Well, per the announcement, you will have to change it again. Every year and half or so, I believe. That is a perfectly valid requirement asked for by the owner/operator of any forum or service, not just this one, if they so desire.

edit: my (old) and current password is over 80 characters in length, but not hard or a pain at all to change. If it is for you, use a forum like Topix or something that doesn't require one to register..
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-01-25, 00:22

Stargate38 wrote:
Please don't make me change it again
There is discussion on the new password requirements over here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29324#p235727

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-25, 00:46

Stargate38 wrote:
The new one I've chosen is over 20 characters long, alphanumeric (both lower and UPPER case), and shouldn't be crackable in the forseeable future. Please don't make me change it again, as the one I've chosen is beyond secure, at least for the next 10 years.
First paragraph of my post here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29324&start=20#p235788
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

puppyX
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by puppyX » 2023-01-25, 13:00

As mentioned at the beginning;
The only other difference is that the Palefill addon is not compatible with PM 32.0.0
Palefill has received an update and is compatible with the latest PM. Thanks Martok.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2023-01-25, 14:38

I can handle being asked to change my Pword on a site for security reasons. So I did as I was asked. And then there was this unwanted side-effect. I am no real active here but I do still read the forum after a new update and I do occasionally post. Normally when I log on I ask to seek new posts. I have not logged on here in some time and I expected to see a ton of new posts. Instead I was told there were no new posts.

Clearly there is a glitch in this new password changover.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-01-25, 14:59

The forum shows me 6 new posts though?
Screenshot_2023-01-25_22-58-01.png
I think Unread posts is what you probably should look at, as New posts is reset each day I believe.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-01-25, 16:56

TwoTankAmin wrote:
2023-01-25, 14:38
I can handle being asked to change my Pword on a site for security reasons. So I did as I was asked. And then there was this unwanted side-effect. I am no real active here but I do still read the forum after a new update and I do occasionally post. Normally when I log on I ask to seek new posts. I have not logged on here in some time and I expected to see a ton of new posts. Instead I was told there were no new posts.

Clearly there is a glitch in this new password changover.
The same exact thing happened to me. I figured it was a fringe bug in the forum software, and just accepted that the list would start over again.
So I navigated to "Unread posts" instead and checked out a few threads, and then as users posted more the "New posts" list started populating again and things slowly got back to normal.

It was a bit annoying, but I trudged through it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-25, 16:57

"New Posts" literally shows a small number of brand new posts, irrespective of your read/unread status or how long you've been logged out.
Also, changing your password does not touch which posts you have read or not.